WAG What's your gym's policy on gym shorts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Leos and shorts (gym spandex ones only). FOr everyone, rec and team. Rec have to wear club uniform, but team girls training 2x a week or more get to wear their own.

For DD's gym, the shorts are there for a couple of reasons- rec girls as many are self conscious, so they all tend to wear them once they hit 11 or 12. Team girls they're worn as protection from bars/carpet burns etc. I know some who don't wear them tend to get some pretty quick as bars can burn, especial at lower levels when they do a lot of hip circles.

In the UK you are allowed to wear them to compete- definitely rec, and floor and vault, and I think I've seen them on a few older/lower level 4 piece girls. I would assume they're not worn at higher levels as it's one more thing to catch/fall down/slip/worry about...

Rec kids can basically wear anything, except jeans. Team girls can wear shorts and leos. The only shorts we can't wear are the baggy basketball shorts, because they can get caught when our coaches spot us. But the only time we're allowed to wear sports bras and shorts only is when there are only team girls in the gym. Our coaches don't really allow us to wear tank tops, either.

Our gym is pretty lenient on what we wear. There was one time that a girl was trying our Prep-Op team and she wore a babydoll. I wanted to scream. But I go to school with her so that wouldn't end well. Anyways, I wear a leo and shorts. So do the other girls in prep op. Also, girls can wear tank tops and shorts. I've seen a girl wear sweatpants and a shirt. But I like leotards!

What in the world is a baby doll, because in my world, it's a type of neglige. Please tell me your teammate isn't wearing lingerie to the gym!!!!

At my daughter's gym, I don't know if there is an official 'rule' but most of the older team girls wear leos with the short spandex gym shorts and the younger girls just leos. The rec kids seem to wear leos or soffe shorts over the leos.

That being said, my daughter just wears a leo and she is training Level 8. Says it's more comfortable. She just wears the lycra/velvet to practice. And frankly, when you look at how short those lycra shorts are, I'm not clear on why they wear them anyway!

Thankfully their gym has AC as it's hot here these days!

In the winter, they all wear lycra leggings and sweats over to practice as well as l/s underarmour type shirts under sweatshirts. As they warm up, the layers come off. It's cold here in the winter!

At my last gym, shorts were not allowed on events by any age or level group for the competition levels. For Xcel and Rec, whatever. Preferably leotards but shirts were ok by little ones. Ideally, shirts that could be tucked in and stay there. Most older girls might wear a tighter undershirt in rec.

The cheer girls generally just wore their sports bras and shorts. We only allowed this for our JO girls when they had to go run outside at the track on Saturdays.

I want to say I've seen collegiate gymnasts just wear the sports bras and shorts at Cal.

One of the biggest reasons is to train the girls not to pick at wedgies. Honestly, they could wear shorts that won't roll on bars or shorts on any event for all I could care. Bottoms like sweats or warmup pants would be fine by me for warmups but not events but I wouldn't care if they used it during after event strength/conditioning.

For boys, I'm fine that they don't wear leos every day and it's not that big of a problem at meets because we never see them pick at their wedgies. I really would like to see them transition to an Underarmor top that the Hamms wore at exhibitions in 2009. I prefer the singlets with short legs instead of the bikini cut always.

Quite often I let the boys train shirtless. It's fun and necessary in hot gyms. It's quite hilarious to see a squad of little guys working out in the gyms in just their gym shorts since.

If they are either doing the sports bra/shorts or topless attire, it can be quite useful to have them a shirt that can be put on in case they are doing some tricky skills. No bare skin or slippery leos when spotting is necessary so no slippery workout leos.

our prep op team can only wear a short sleeve leo, and spandex shorts. the rookies don't usually wear shorts, though. it's about preference. but the practice before a meet we wear our exhibition leos, (they say our names on the back and EVERYONE has to have one.) without shorts to get used to not wearing them for a meet. but our team girls (4-10) only wear short sleeve leos. I have yet seen anyone wear shorts..

The rec girls can wear leos and shorts. Girls on team can only wear shorts for conditioning. After conditioning or warming up, shorts must be removed.

What about wearing tank tops or training with just a sports bra and shorts? My gym pretty much says leotard and only leotard, fine you can wear shorts. :)

Leo or leo and shorts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back