What's yours or DD rec to team story?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Boo'sMom

I'm just curious and want to hear from others, like what age you or your DD started gymnastics and how long you/they where in rec before you/they went to team? do you or DD miss rec or happy to finally made it. Thanks for sharing.

My dd's both did rec for quite a while. They were 2 and 4 years old when we started gym at our county rec department. We were there for about a year (taking sessions off here and there for travel) when we quit due to scheduling issues. After about half a year the kids drove me so crazy with asking to go back to gymnastics that I found another gym that the schedule could work for us. The kids all did rec there (DS too). By the end of that first school year DS was on pre-team; but the girls were still both just doing rec (with my youngest in a pre-school class). the girls then took that summer off, though DS kept going. He was moved up to team when he was 7.5, right before competitions started (he moved up at the end of November). My older DD got invited to the pre-team finally when she was taking a tumbling class that the head coach taught. She was 7 years old by then (almost 8). My younger DD still was rec. We then had to change gyms and my older DD made their level 3 team (AAU) and younger DD (5, almost 6 at the time) was put on preteam. This was last April. In September (or maybe August?) my younger DD was moved up to the level 2 team. They both finish up their first competition season next weekend and I think they have had a great year. :) DS just finished his 2nd year of competing.

My DD started a once per week rec gymnastics class the week she turned 6 (March 2012). A few weeks later she was invited to the Devo(preteam) group and moved up to 3 hours per week. At the end of that summer she was placed on the team as a L3 and competed that this last season. She is now (at barely 7 years old) uptraining new L4 at 12 hours per week. For her it was a very quick progression.

My older DD is 9 and still in rec gymnastics. The coach said there is a possiblility that she might be ready to compete excel this year, but only time will tell. I'm thinking the odds are fairly slim.

My youngest DD started at the same time as the other two at 5 year old and is still in beginning rec. I am guessing it will be a long time before she moves beyond that.

But most importantly they all are enjoying the sport, no matter what level they are in.

Here is dd's story. We moved when dd was 4 and started her in a new daycare center. One day I picked her up and in among here drawings and papers was a flyer from our local gym. I asked her what it was, and she said that was from her 'nastics' teacher. It advertised their beginner rec program and I asked dd if she wanted to go. If only somebody wise person had told me at that moment that in 15 years I would have another $40,000 in the bank by just saying no. But nobody did, so we started Saturday rec classes. At 5 she was invited to training team. At 6 hc told me that he didn't believe in competing L4, but if dd could get her kip she could compete L5 that Fall, (she would be 7 before state meet which was the rule at that time in this state). She did some privates, got the kip often enough to compete (I still remember that first meet - her AA was a 24.6) and so began the journey. DD is now about to turn 21 and is a D1 NCAA gymnast. It has been a wonderful experience for her and she has benefitted from it in so many positive ways. I don't regret a minute of it, but I could sure use a new car. Good luck to all of you beginners out there.

My Dd went to her 1st Rec class on a "Bring a friend day" with a classmate. She was 8.5 years old. She loved it and spent the summer going twice a week. In the fall she was invited to the level 4 team. 5 years later she just finished her Level 9 season.

I honestly never saw it coming. She was a very talented soccer and tennis player at the time. I figured she would lose interest in Gym and continue with the other 2 sports. A year later she gave up soccer and tennis and focused only on gymnastics. :)

I have a kinda unique story and thought it was worth sharing.

I did dance as a kid for 10 years starting at the age of 6. I never knew much about gymnastics, just that I was just the kid who could do cartwheels in the backyard. In 2008 I was watching Visa Championships and Olympic Trials and got hooked on gymnastics. At that time I just became really obsessed with finding out everything I could about the sport of gymnastics. Eventually in about 2010, I decided that I wanted to try gymnastics even at the age of 15. about 6 months later I convinced my mom to let me try gymnastics (2 days after I got my learner's permit). I was put in a level 2 class and was there for 3ish months until team testing. They told me that they wanted me to try-out for the "pre-team" group. At that testing I was moved up to "pre-team" with 5 other girls. Well, they decided that they wanted more than 2 girls on their level 4 team. So my "pre-team" group got moved up to the level 4 team.

That year I began competing level 4 and did really well, (36-37 almost every meet). This year being my senior year I wanted to move on from compulsories. I began competing Xcel Gold this year (aprox level 5/6). In the 2 years I have been doing gymnastics I went from not being able to even bridge to being able to do layouts, flyaways, tsuks and round-offs on beam. When I attend college in a few months I will continue to train on the Penn State competitive rec team and still enjoy the sport that I have come to love. :)

Just thought that it would be nice to share my story.

DD started right before she turned 5 and was immediately put in a developmental preteam type class. She did that class for about 4 months and then was placed in level 4. She competed 4/5 that next year, 6/7 this year and now is training level 8. It has a been a quick ride.

I started my daughter last June, right after she turned 4, as a way to keep flexible/gain flexibility for dance, which she loved. We just went to the city's rec center, and did a Mommy and Me class. They told me to have her skip the next level and go to the 2nd level up for her for the next session. Problem was she was too young. We continued with her 30 min class there for another month but put her in a non mommy and me program, and looked into another actual gym as well. So she took a second class at a "real" gym. At the end of Summer/July, she was moved up and asked to join their developmental track. Me not knowing anything about gymnastics, had chosen a facility that was a good fit for the summer, but just too far for the commitment during the school year, so we found a more convenient gym, and they placed her in Advanced Preschool. After the 2nd class, they put her on pre-team. She's been there since Beginning of September, and is about to move up to start competing next year. She'll only be 5 at competition time, so I guess it will be Level 2.

I put my dd in a regular class as soon as she turned 3 because she needed a structured activity to get out all her energy! Not long after she was invited to be on an exhibition 'team' of young gymnasts. This was 2 days a week. Then, she was invited to developmental and a year later Level 4. She was 5 going into 4, but was turning 6 so she qualified. She did not have a good year, too immature. Level 5 was much better, so was 6, skipped 7, 8 was great. Injury at the beginning of 9 and did good during the normal season and state, but fell apart at regionals.

I'm grateful for dd's coaches early on. She wasn't easy to handle, but they led her in the right direction.

I started when I was 5 and was in the after school gymnastics program at my school. there was two classes a week and by the end of kindergarten I moved up to advanced class with kids quite a few years older than me. after 4 years in the advanced class I convinced my mum that I wanted to start 'real gymnastics' I went to the closest gym and was put in their level 1/2 class as the school gym didn't have bars so I was very behind on bars and strength. I stayed their for a year and a bit at which point I broke my arm after having a nasty ski accident resulting in a concussion so I took about 8+ weeks off just as I came back the gym closed down. I was then offered to go to the club I'm at now but as a little kid i saw this gym as the 'enemy' gym. When I finally decided to go back I couldn't as the 'enemy' gym was having asbestos issues and then the next attempt to return it had burnt down. So I left it at that for a few years and continued learning some stuff in the back yard (just walkovers and that sort of stuff). Then early year 9 I decided to go back and i was just being assessed when I tore my ligament in my ankle. 6 months after that I went into a senior rec class and was far too advanced - I could still cartwheel on the beam after 4 years off and they were learning to cartwheel on the floor. The coach suggested I move to level 4 after 1 class and so I did at age 15. I have been on team ever since.

My oldest DD was 2 when we started Mommy and me classes. Only because the kid could do a forward roll when she was 1 and my Mom insisted I put her in gymnastics. We started her little sister 2 years later when she was 2 in the same classes. Now we are almost 5 years later and not quite team yet, but well on our way. 6.5 y/o will (as long as she gets all skills etc. ) make level 4 team a year and a half. And my 4.5 y/o may do the same since there are talks of her moving early.. Or my 6.5 y/o will make team even sooner. Anyways. I never knew that our Mommy and Me classes on Saturdays would turn into a 5 day a week commitment for my girls. As a previous poster mentioned.. I would be much richer had I never started :) But I would never change a thing. And I look forward to the years of Gym to come for my kiddos :)

My DD started Mommy and me at around 17 months old. So, basically her whole life, which the exception of 6 weeks when she broke her leg, and right now (4 weeks) due to a chipped ankle bone.
She moved onto the Level 3 team just after she turned 5yo. She just turned 6 and moved to a new gym where she will be placed onto pre-team until next November when they have team try-outs. Unfortunately, she broke her ankle before doing a single class at the new gym.
My little boy just turned 3yo and has done gymnastics for a year. He's taking a little gymnastics break right now with his sister. I don't think gym will be his "thing", but I honestly believe its very beneficial for muscle development and whole body awareness.

Thank you so very much everyone for sharing, so many different stories. Many seem to have moved on fast within a matter of months from rec to team. That surprised me, but how exciting! My DD started at 6yrs old once a week for a yr and now her 2nd yr she went to 3x a week in rec. she is almost 8yrs old. Her coach says she will beable to try out for pre team this coming Sept. DD really wants to make it, so she is practicing everyday at home from a list her coach gave her to do at home. She is not very flexible so she really has to work hard on that which she is. She is having fun and when she's ready everything will fall into place. It's a fun ride watching her improve and learn new skills and be so proud of herself.

My dd started classes when she was 6. She'd taken ballet for awhile and wanted to do gymnastics. Her first class i thought she looked pretty good, and the coach asked if she had ever done it before, because she had natural ability. She progressed quickly through class levels to Advanced in 18 months, but at that time girls were hand-picked to be evaluated to enter the team program, so we waited (impatiently) for her referral. (side note, Jay Clarke was the owner/head coach at the time). One day after she turned 8, he was walking around during stretch and stopped to watch my dd. He said, "Why isn't this girl on my team yet?" 

So a referral card was filled out, she came in to be evaluated, was put on Pre-team and 6 weeks later was put on level 4.

My daughter is 7 and starting new level 3 in the summer. She started at 18 months at a just for fun place, and at age 2 1/2, moved to a bigger gym. At age 4 nearly 5, her rec teacher had the team coach evaluate her and she started pre-team. Pre-team hours increased gradually, then we switched gyms and new gym put her in developmental for one year. Now they think she's ready to compete- she's super strong and "has a gymnastics body" but has other developmental challenges so we will see.

I tell people that my dd started walking at 9 months old and hasn't sat down since! She was a super active baby and so we started doing Mommy-and-me classes when she was around 18 months old. She then moved to preschool rec classes once a week. When she was in Kindergarten her best friend at the time was in dance, so she wanted to stop gym and do a year of dance.

After 1 class she HATED it! I made her finish the year and as soon as it was over she was back in gymnastics.

She was in the rec program once a week and loving it but wanting more. There was an advanced rec class twice a week for 2 hours each but the coaches didn't think she had what it would take and they recommended maybe she do cheerleading instead. Well she was too young to join their cheer group so I kept asking if she could at least try the advanced rec program and finally they said yes.

Well at the end of year in-house fun meet she received the most improved gymnast award and was asked to come to the tryout for the Invitational level group.

One of the coaches saw her and immediately wanted her for the Pre-competitive group at 12 hours per week! I was like, you guys wouldn't even let her try advanced rec without me practically begging, now you want this?

The one coach took me aside and basically said they screwed up, that she should have been in the Mini-pre level learning the basics and that she would need a ton of work to get her flexibility and form issues taken care of, that she had huge potential.

So we started there at 12 hours a week, and were there for maybe 8 months or so when she was invited to a birthday party at a brand new gym. We went and then asked for an evaluation. When they looked at what she was doing, they said that she still had form issues and that she was doing a bunch of skills with the wrong leg, that in the future she wouldn't be able to connect them or twist in the right direction. We started at the new gym that week. (There were other underlying issues why the move was so easy but I'll spare the details)

So that was 2 years ago when dd was 7. She had to relearn her walkovers, split leaps and something else, didn't have a kip yet and was competing level 3. She is now the Provincial bronze medalist at the pre novice national aspire level, and the provincial bars champion. From the beginning when they didn't think she had the potential and might as well try cheer.

DD started walking at 9 months, climbing ladders unbeknownst to me :) at ten months and saying Look mom I can fly as she jumped off my furniture. I figured she needed a safe PADDED place so off to Mom and me classes. Did that for a year, went to our preschool classes for a year and started level 1 at 4.5 with the strict instructions that she will not do bridges or things of that nature until she was at least 5. From there we started doing 2 classes a week because she liked it so much. We tried other things but just wasn't interested. By the time she was 6 she was asked to do L4 but she wasn't mentally ready. So our gym decided to do one year of competing L3 for her and a couple of other girls. So by 7 she was competing L4 and now she is off to the races training new 6 or new 7 for the next year.

My DD and I did mommy and me (until i went back to work and she did grandma and me). She went level by level (50 minutes a week) at the rec gym, learning skills like crazy. She was invited to preteam in October at the age of six and began practicing 3 hours a week at the team facility. Now she is on team and will finally get more time in the gym (9 hours a week) beginning in June. She will compete either new level 3 or new level 4 in the fall. She has not competed in a meet yet. She will be 7 in August.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DD started at My Gym as a baby. She took her first steps there and by 2 they told me my little bit may need to be at a real gym. The owner said there was just something different about her. So, for her 3rd birthday she got gym classes, once a week. At age 4 she started developmental, at age 5 she started pre-team, and was level 4 team by the end of age 5. She did level 4, level 5, skipped level 6, did level 7 and now we wait to see what level she will compete in the Fall. She watched the Olympic gymnasts on tv when she was 4 and said "I want to do that." She is on the TOPS Nat'l team and we are hopeful that she can make her own dreams come true-whether it be in gymnastics or any other path in her life. We are grateful for a sport that has taught her so much about herself. She will be 9 years old tomorrow and has spent almost her whole life tumbling in some form of gym and I am thankful to the My Gym owner who saw something in her that sparked a unique path for her childhood. I am thankful for coaches who believe in her as much as she believes in herself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back