WAG When did prep op/xcel really start?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know that the Xcel program (like the national Xcel program with requirements that apply to the entire country) started in 2013. And I know that before that, many states had their own prep op programs with distinct rules. But I've for some reason recently been really curious about the prep op program and I can't seem to find that much info. I am aware that there were prep optional leagues that went back as far as the early 2000's or even the 90's, but it seemed that most of those were specifically for gymnasts who were transitioning from compulsories to optionals, and most of the videos I could find from that era of prep op seemed to be skills that were around a level 6/7 (old levels). In other words, it didn't seem that prep op was really an alternate program back then, but more an "off-season" or "in between levels" program for gymnasts in the JO program. Does anyone know when the EARLIEST prep optional program was created? Like what was approximately the first year that someone in USA gymnastics said "okay we need a program for gymnasts who don't want to commit too much time to the sport"? By "prep op" I also mean any of those other "alternate" programs that existed from state to state, for example the Mason Dixon league.

The main reason I'm asking this is because about 14 years ago (WOW I'm old!), when I was about 9, I started competing in a program that I THOUGHT, until recently, was prep optional (I am in Virginia, by the way). It was definitely an alternate league, with a few different levels, and I was probably around a level 4/5 (old levels) skill level at the time, as were most of my teammates as far as I can remember. I was convinced that this was prep optional--I know that later in my career, it definitely was prep optional I competed--but since I've recently started researching this I can't seem to find any evidence that prep op existed in Virginia that far back when I first started competing (or maybe it was just super long ago and all evidence has been destroyed, lol!). I'm also pretty convinced it was not the Mason Dixon League--I'm pretty sure it had the word "optional" in it, and as far as I can tell, most Mason Dixon League teams were in Maryland and I don't think my team ever competed against any teams from Maryland. Does anyone have any idea what league this could have been (around 2005-2006)? It has been driving me INSANE trying to figure it out!

If anyone has any answers to either of these questions (if even one could be answered, it may help me figure out the answer to the other), I would greatly appreciate it! I'm mostly trying to figure out what the name of this league I competed in was, but I'm also just curious as to when the idea of alternate programs in USA gymnastics were really started! Thanks so much!

I competed around 95-96 in "prep-op" or "pre-8" which was modified level 8 rules. (2 Bs instead of 4 on each event, rest of requirements were the same I believe and my scores started out of a 9.6 on each event, except vault which used the normal values). I was in Texas. This was back when levels 6 & 7 were both still compulsory.

Not sure that helps you figure out what you were competing in though.

There was a USAG program called Virginia All Stars or something similar around that time. Not sure of the exact dates when one program ended and another began. I think there was some blending of different elements of different programs over time.
I grew up competing in Pennsylvania and there was a USAG Prep-op program here in the late 90s, my gym used it mostly for older girls who had done compulsories but weren't quite ready for optionals. I don't remember if it was just 1 level with all the same requirements or if there were sub groups within the program. But those types of programs were around long before USAG folded everything into Xcel in 2013ish.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back