WAG When do they announce who made the TOPS A and B teams?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Clearly this does not involve Puma Jr, but a few girls she competes against from other gyms made National testing and I'm just curious how they did. :)

Actually, it's up now. The gym I would consider the strongest in our area had two girls make the "Developmental Invite Team"- what does that mean? Another very strong gym around here had one girl make A and two make B. Good for all five of them!

The gym I would consider the strongest in our area had two girls make the "Developmental Invite Team"- what does that mean?

Strongest gym in the state in terms of competition scores & placements! Developmental Invite Camp is above and beyond Tops A team. Meaning the national team felt they were in the upper portion of TOPs testing.

Is the Developmental Invite Team thing new? I know they have had invite camps for quite some time, but previously it has been offered for A and B teams and then Nat testing qualifiers, then state testers until filled. And at the cost of the gym/coach/athlete. So is this now changed? I hope those girls don't have to pay for the January camp and they get all the same perks as A and B teams. They worked so hard to get "TOPs" next to their name. Maybe it was discussed previously? I don't know much. My child is training TOPs but I doubt we will get to Nat testing. She's not a child to want to do Elite, loves the extra gym time, tho.

I would assume Developmental Invite camp is paid for...they are the most advanced of the qualifiers - past the "A" campers. That other invite camp that was offered on a rolling basis was a different thing, not sure if they're still doing that.

Nope, invite camp is still paid for by the parents. I did ask a mom or two that's DD would have made A team. Apparently, it was discussed prior, & even though they would have made Ateam, they are still paying for DIC camp. Not sure how I'd feel about that personally, but I understand the reasoning, from the outside.

ETA: my DD has been going to DIC for 2 years. The first 2 camps were filled as discussed above A & Diamond team, and so on. That was in 2014. After that, the camps became invite only and were grouped as a team, but have never been formally announced until now. The list on USAG is only NEW invites. Others can form an opinion on those currently in the DIC group. I don't want to.

Strongest gym in the state in terms of competition scores & placements! Developmental Invite Camp is above and beyond Tops A team. Meaning the national team felt they were in the upper portion of TOPs testing.
Wow! Thanks for the info. I was starting to get that impression. One source I found said that the girls "skipped" A camp and were invited to the DIC. Thanks for ascertaining. I guess this makes me feel better about them destroying my kid every meet. Lol

Nope, invite camp is still paid for by the parents. I did ask a mom or two that's DD would have made A team. Apparently, it was discussed prior, & even though they would have made Ateam, they are still paying for DIC camp. Not sure how I'd feel about that personally, but I understand the reasoning, from the outside.

ETA: my DD has been going to DIC for 2 years. The first 2 camps were filled as discussed above A & Diamond team, and so on. That was in 2014. After that, the camps became invite only and were grouped as a team, but have never been formally announced until now. The list on USAG is only NEW invites. Others can form an opinion on those currently in the DIC group. I don't want to.

Interesting. Do they have the option to attend A camp if their scores made the cut? I have to assume some of those names I know on the list would have made A camp. Unless this was created for kids who made an uncharacteristic mistake and didn't make the cut despite generally having above and beyond skills? It seems weird that those who would have made the A cut (if they did) would have to pay for it when A campers don't. Unless the developmental camp offers things above and beyond A camp.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I was starting to get that impression. One source I found said that the girls "skipped" A camp and were invited to the DIC. Thanks for ascertaining. I guess this makes me feel better about them destroying my kid every meet. Lol

My dd lost her first meet of the season to a girl that had competed in level 2 and done well, but didn't compete in level 3 at all. I was surprised to hear her name again and was wondering what had happened last year. Well I just checked the lists and she was on the DIC list (and she is only 8!), so now I know what she has been up to! :) And my dd was only behind her by .05 and she actually scored higher than her on bars and beam. Woo Hoo! ;) Of course from what I can tell she hasn't competed any other level 4 meets so I am guessing this was her score out meet and she probably didn't spend much time perfecting her routines. lol

Very impressive to all these girls! Dd's gym doesn't compete TOPS, but I know it is a great accomplishment to have made these teams.

Interesting. Do they have the option to attend A camp if their scores made the cut? I have to assume some of those names I know on the list would have made A camp. Unless this was created for kids who made an uncharacteristic mistake and didn't make the cut despite generally having above and beyond skills? It seems weird that those who would have made the A cut (if they did) would have to pay for it when A campers don't. Unless the developmental camp offers things above and beyond A camp.

I'm not sure about the dynamics of the invitation, nor do I know about the caliber of the gymnasts or their performance at National Testing; however, I will say that, IMO, declining an invitation to DIC, as it is portrayed to the coaches and gymnasts, might not be the best option bc it costs money.

It is very curious. We are familiar with one of the DIC gymnasts and while she's lovely, she hasn't done remarkably well competitively. Guess she knocked the TOPs testing out of the park though!

Very interesting. I sort of expected the DIC list to be shorter, just a handful of kids who went above and beyond at testing and were being invited to something a step above A camp. But it seems that a lot of kids showed extraordinary potential with the size of the DIC list- like 40 girls?!

I'm not sure about the dynamics of the invitation, nor do I know about the caliber of the gymnasts or their performance at National Testing; however, I will say that, IMO, declining an invitation to DIC, as it is portrayed to the coaches and gymnasts, might not be the best option bc it costs money.

I know a few names on the list and they are really good, like 10 year old with level 10 skills good (although I see an 8 year old or two on the list too). So I have to assume they would have made A. Of course an uncharacteristic mistake or two like falling on your presses or handstand could knock someone off and maybe this was a way to "recover" them (that's just speculation, I have no idea). If they would have made the A cut by their score then I don't really get why A would be paid for but not this. But I agree that if it were my kid I wouldn't decline. Just curious about the reasoning from USAG of paying for A camp but not this.

I know a few names on the list and they are really good, like 10 year old with level 10 skills good (although I see an 8 year old or two on the list too). So I have to assume they would have made A. Of course an uncharacteristic mistake or two like falling on your presses or handstand could knock someone off and maybe this was a way to "recover" them (that's just speculation, I have no idea). If they would have made the A cut by their score then I don't really get why A would be paid for but not this. But I agree that if it were my kid I wouldn't decline. Just curious about the reasoning from USAG of paying for A camp but not this.
Yes, and then there are others who do not have level 10 skills and are more in the level 7 ballpark, so very interesting. Although, ALL of the kids are clearly very talented and good. Just a broad range of skills. But maybe this does give some of the super talented kids who made a mistake at the testing a second chance. Could be. All very interesting.

But then again, several were invited before PA's testing. I really think he's feeling out the field. I also noticed that many invitees are the same age from the same gym. I think in the moment, it would be quite hard to invite one without the other. Another factor on the $$, albeit somewhat negligible, are the accommodations the girls have at DIC vs. TOPS A/B. DIC stays in the 'hotels' while TOPS campers stay in the cabins. My thoughts are in what's going to happen to the 50+ already on the DIC roster.

But then again, several were invited before PA's testing. I really think he's feeling out the field. I also noticed that many invitees are the same age from the same gym. I think in the moment, it would be quite hard to invite one without the other. Another factor on the $$, albeit somewhat negligible, are the accommodations the girls have at DIC vs. TOPS A/B. DIC stays in the 'hotels' while TOPS campers stay in the cabins. My thoughts are in what's going to happen to the 50+ already on the DIC roster.

What's the difference between the hotels and the cabins??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back