When do you think i'll start learning back handsprings?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know You start learning them in level 3 while being spotted but i just started gymnastics (im 12) i live in ontario canada. I had my 2nd class on wednesday. Do you think i'll learn them soon?

Thanks so much

and since i just started is it a late age? people might think im 16 when im competing in level 3 because im 5.7
so should i move on to another sport even though i LOOOOOOOOOVE IT

Depends on your progress, at my club we start seriously teaching BHS when the gymnasts can do good backwalkovers by themselves. Talk to your coach and tell them you are eager to learn BHS and ask them what expectations they have before they start teaching them. That way you will know what you need in order to progress and you will be able to set some realistic goals for your self.

To make sure you are ready to start learning backhandsprings make sure you can easily hold your self up in a handstand, be able to do good backwalkovers, and practice doing bridges and pushing through your shoulders (towards the back wall - you will feel the stretch) to increase shoulder flexibility.

If you love the sport stay in the sport! Being successful in a sport isn't all about being the perfect age and having the perfect body type, you have to love what you are doing in order to succeed. People wouldn't say i have the perfect body (I'm also tall) for gymnastics and I am 18 years old and still training, competing, and loving it.

Good luck with everything,
Robin

First of all, if you LOVE it then stick with it! Don't worry about what other people think of your age or height. As long as you're happy, then that's all that really matters. There are plenty of adults on here who still do gymnastics because they love it; so why should you stop? :)

As for BHS, I think Robindq gave you some good advice. Ask your coaches what is expected of you before you're ready to learn them. Let them know you really want to learn them, and show them that you're willing to work hard to accomplish your goals.

Best of luck!

STICK WITH IT! No matter how many times or who tells you you cant.... stick with it. BH's are usually learned in level 4, i am also at a late age and training level 5 , and 5'7 too. Do not give up, I have heard many say u cant do it, but ihave competed and won :)

I agree you should stick with it. It doesn't matter what age you are when you are competing level 3. Its not about how old you are but about how long you have been doing it? Don't think of it against people of a different age, think of it as competing against people who have fairly recently started gymnastics, and that is what it is.

Ask your parents if you can do a few privates with your coach and work backhandsprings. Stay with it if you love it!! GOOD LUCK!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back