Parents When does you season start

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
When does everybodies competion season start? My dd is in preteam and not competeing yet, but can't wait to get updates from all thoses that are competing.

We start next weekend, if all goes well, and Hurricane Ike leaves us alone! We live 1 hr. North of Miami, but are going to Tampa next weekend for DD's 1st meet, providing that area does not get affected too much by the storm.

This will beign DD's complulsory season (L6), and will last until December.

Then, she starts Pre-Op season in January, & goes until April.

Busy, but should be fun! We are looking forward to it. :D

My oldest has a meet at the end of Nov, the end of Feb and the end of March. That's it.

Youngest will either do the same meets as her sister or in a different league she'l have 3 meets between Jan & April.

We don't have all the cool invitationals that you seem to have in the States, our meets are qualifiers to Provincials (like States) and qualifying is not based on a score but the top 32 girls in the whole province go (can be up to 300 girls at each level/age)

DD's first meet is on September 14th. She will be competeing Level 5. She can't wait! Neither can I!

Then she will compete in 4 other meets over the next 6 weeks and hopefully make it to Zones and States in November.

The compulsory season for CO officially starts tomorrow. We got a lousy draw at the state meeting and are 1 of 3 gyms hosting a meet this weekend. Needless to say many gyms are waiting another week to compete, so we'll only have 2 sessions(not good for fundraising).

Optional season doesn't start til Jan---haven't seen a meet schedule yet and levels have not been officially decided.

Optional season for us starts in January (which I am really glad about - gives dd's wrist a chance to heal). Compulsories start tomorrow.

Dd starts next week, she's competing level 6. My ds's season doesn't start until January, but he might do some Future Stars stuff in the Fall.

In NJ, USAG levels 4, 6, and 7 start now (Sept) and States are in Jan.
Levels 5, 8-10 start in Jan and run thru May. My girls are L5 and 8 so we have a while to wait.

We also compete in USAIGC which starts around the end of the year but our team won't start competing in these meets till March and they run thru May (States) and June (Nationals).

Our season starts now in September (NJ) for L4 with our first meet 9/27. I'm glad we have a late first meet since last year we missed out on the first 2 because of vacation and not being ready. Following states in Jan DD will probably go to L5 (runs Jan thru May)but not compete that level until following the following Jan.

Sorry Gymmonkeymomma, if you are reading this, word has it we won't do the double season (L4 and L5)so I won't see you in L5, but I'm glad we aren't getting rushed into doing meets at another level right away, LOL

Our compulsories start tomorrow as well w/ Judges Cup. My DD does not compete until the weekend of Sept 27 because she is L3 and they do not have L3 at the Judges Cup. Her last meet is in Nov.

they will have a short break and then start up again in January

Double season, Wow, now it makes sense. Our team is in NYC. Every year our team does a meet in NJ in March/Apr. It seemed strange that we'd have to drive so far for our team to compete against two or three kids who's season had ended and appeared to be one level lower trying to get some experience at the next level (with meet fees what they are I'm sure you understand).

Learning so much on this board, thanks

Team Dad,

Here in NJ L4,6 and 7 and usually Sept-Jan and then L5,8 & 10 are Jan-May. However, there are some meets that also run "off season" for those that want to "test the waters". Our gym does not relly compete off season but it does exists. Some gyms here in NJ also compete USAIGC in conjuction w/USAG and they have meets and a "states" as well. Our gym does USAG and also has JOGA teams and those leagues can not be done together.

Double season is going from L4 and then going right into the L5 with no break in between. Or, going from L5 right into L6 or even skipping L6 all together. We had some girls do the double season last year and some that did double and now skipping. Aye yi yi that sounds difficult!

Being from NYC maybe you can answer this one. We have a girl that competed compulsary level last year in NY (did well)and is now on our team having a hard time with the routines. Mom says they did things different in NY. Our coach says NJ judges can be stricter so has been spending time trying to fix things. Poor mom is in a panic that DD did well in NY but afraid she won't so well here now & scared she won't be ready ina couple weeks. Do you find NJ judging harder or about the same? I thought all the compulsary routines were all done/judged in the same way, no matter what state?

Sorry Gymmonkeymomma, if you are reading this, word has it we won't do the double season (L4 and L5)so I won't see you in L5, but I'm glad we aren't getting rushed into doing meets at another level right away, LOL

Blackie, I hope she has an awesome Level 4 season!!! And your checkbook will love you for not rushing into another level right away LOL. The Pres of our parents association and I feel very strongly about supporting breast cancer awareness and we are going to talk to the coaches about doing your meet in January. I'll definitely let you know, if we decide to sign up!

Do you find NJ judging harder or about the same? I thought all the compulsary routines were all done/judged in the same way, no matter what state?

Blackie, we usually do the Greater NY invitational which is in Rockland Cty NY and I have found over the years, that the scores tend to be higher than our other meets in NJ. Granted, this is just one meet....

Now that you mention about the possible differences, I did notice while looking at some Youtube videos that with floor routines sometimes the "dance" parts (hand motions, etc) were not identical to ours. Maybe one of the coaches on this board can shed some light?

Gymmonkeymomma,

AWESOME if your gym decides to come to our meet! Our gym just moved last week and our new facilities are smaller than our old one so this meet will be held at a different location. We are all pretty excited about holding one BIG meet this year instead of all the smaller ones. I hear we already have some gyms coming from other states!

And yes, I am glad (very glad) we will just be working L5 right away. My DD was exhausted after States last year and that was when she got Pneumonia. While I enjoyed meet season, I was glad when it was done & wouldn't want to do it all over again right away!! She loves it, but we are in no rush.

And yes, Greater NY invitational was also our best meet ever! And I know judging is not always uniform, I figured that out right away. You are right! The mom says that the hand gestures/movements are different in NYC! I did watch one L4 NY routine on Youtube and was amazed at the score. I think the girl came off the bar at least once, maybe twice and got a very generous 8 something. When My Dd came off bar at her meet it was the kiss of death, LOL! I keep telling the mom to relax, her DD still has until end of Sept for our first meet, she will get it all figured out she is pretty good. That would be a good coaches question though...are the compulsary routines supposed to be universal thru the states? How do they (judges) score meets where there are differences in how the routines are interpreted by each gym? How much room is allowed for gyms to add their own "flair" in compulsary routines? Example, at the end of the L4 floor all of our girls do same exact ending/finish yet other gyms at the very end each girl has her own finish.

Our L4 team may go to the Christmas On the Cheapeake too, which would also be an out of state meet. I think it's fun to get to compete with new blood, LOL, sometimes you get tired of seeing/competing w/same gyms. NJ has a lot of good ones and it's hard to be in same sessions as them sometimes.

You know I am almost 100% positive that the USAG compulsory routines are all identical no matter what state. There is one DVD with the speech on it showing every move, there is also a guide for each routines describing the routines. Funny how things can be so much the same, yet so different!

Sorry, I really don't have enough experience to comment on any state to state differences. Maybe NJ coaches, athletes and judges are tougher or better, I really can't say. It's hard for me to tell since we don't go head to head in NJ's season against their full teams. I can say that my DD has scored what I felt to be normal in NJ and has placed highly in those meets. I can't remember for sure, but she was either first or second all around at the Jersey meet last year in her age group. My dd also has good hands, but that's because my wife corrects her. She pays attention to the little things and feels that they are very important.

DD is doing AAU L4 so her meet season is January - April. But, she'll switch to USAG for L5, which means she'll compete immediately in September next year, too.

Here the compulsory season runs Sep-Nov/Dec and then compulsories also can compete Jan-March at invitational meets. My DD won't be competing til January. She is missing her beam dismount (she has done it, but not consistent) and they haven't really learned the beam routine, just all the little elements in it. They need to put it together still. She is ready on the other events, though she needs some polish and waiting till January will definitely help with that. I am in no hurry as our gym up trains, so she doesn't get bored. She is sad that she can't compete.

She will be doing a mock meet next week, just bars, floor and vault though. She is super excited. We host a meet in Nov, so us moms with girls that are really close to competing are hoping that they can compete in that meet since it is at our gym and they will feel more comfortable. :D Then they will be less nervous come January.

In VA, the compulsory season starts in November and the State compettions are April/May depending on Level. DD's first meet is SUPPOSED to be the weekend of November 8, but I really don't think she'll be ready w/her still being out of full practices until her collarbone heals. She has another invitational the end of November, so we're hoping that she'll be ready for that one. At least now w/her being a Level 6, all she has to do is score above a 32.5 at ONE meet to qualuify for states... we're hoping she'll do that after the first of the year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back