When leos distract from the gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
I am really sad to see the GB leotards today. I want to be able to enjoy the gymnastics without worrying just how high cut those leotards are going to end up. DH was actually quite embarrassed by a couple of the photos he has seen. And who got over happy with the mesh? Is side boob a thing in gymnastics now?

Most of this has come from seeing photos though. I have finally got the children in bed and am going to try and watch the full videos of the qualifications and hope that the photos are all just unfortunate.

I am really sad to see the GB leotards today. I want to be able to enjoy the gymnastics without worrying just how high cut those leotards are going to end up. DH was actually quite embarrassed by a couple of the photos he has seen. And who got over happy with the mesh? Is side boob a thing in gymnastics now?

Most of this has come from seeing photos though. I have finally got the children in bed and am going to try and watch the full videos of the qualifications and hope that the photos are all just unfortunate.
Where can you watch the full videos of qualification in the uk? :)

Just seen them too, seems Frags is the first, its not like she is massive either, you'd think they could find one to fit. Such a shame as the 2012 ones were lovely.

CSBnYx7WUAEZgd7

They are high cut but the mesh doesn't bother me. Looks like it is lined or she's wearing a nude leotard under it.

It does look like the mesh is lined with nude. High cut doesn't bother me as well. It looks like it lengthens the legs.

They are high cut but the mesh doesn't bother me. Looks like it is lined or she's wearing a nude leotard under it.

I think they are too high cut, as were the Russians'. That mesh makes no sense to me. Lined or not, it gives the illusion of being revealing. It also makes the leo have oddly shaped lines, when ideally it would be accentuating the gymnasts lines.

First seeing the photo posted here, I didn't think it was bad. I don't mind the mesh and the nude liner covers everything. That said, I went to look at photos online, and the mesh is over part of the chest...it really is a bit odd, even with a liner it looks like it was not supposed to be like that, it's definitely too narrow in the chest. Strange!

It s from a few years ago. The video is on youtube. She doesn't start that way but as she starts tumbling, it gets worse and worse. I think this is toward the end of the routine. Beam routine is similar. Definite poor leo planning.

The mesh is lined - or they have sports bras obviously. So they're not actually revealing. They just look a bit odd and make you wonder. And I just want to think about the gymnastics.
However, on the USA gymnastics FB site there is certainly one photo of Claudia that I don't think is appropriate to post here. High cut can ride up at the front as well as the back.

I think whoever made the decision to put a 15 year old in a leotard that is clearly designed to look revealing showed very poor judgement. If you have to specifically point out that it is lined then it made you wonder, and nobody should be worrying that they can see too much of a kid's chest while she is competing.

I think they are too high cut too, but I think that about a lot of elite competition leotards these days. Even slightly lower is more flattering, less distracting, and allows a little more margin for error on the more revealing pictures.

i am sorry, but these are *very* american modesty inspired thoughts for my German mind. who cares what they wear? in track everybody competes in a top and a very small pant, as do beach volleyball players. what's the problem? you have the same parts on your body and there is absolutly nothing to be ashamed of. well, at least in germany that's what the majority thinks. just female body parts, nothing to worry about or to even look out for. i don't want to be rude, just trying to show that such reactions reflect cultural differences and no country can expect others to adher to their standards (which are really relative and arbitrary - modesty teaching goes from "no hair" or even "no eyes" in some radical muslim circles to christian conservatives ideas in the states ("too high cut") to much more relaxed ideas about the whole subject in europe...). to me for example these british leotards are fine, they look great in my opinion. i had no problem whatsoever to let little kids watch these gymnasts compete. they would not think about the body parts showing or not showing because we just don't care about their body parts.. we are watching a sports comp after all (i am a teacher.)

Another future teacher here -also from Germany- thinks those leos are way too high cut. All of the British girls looked rather sturdy.
And I don't get the mesh thing. If you want it to look like skin shining through why not compete in sports bra alltogether?
Yes, Germany is more liberal with naked body parts showing but this leotard is not liberal it is rather provoking and would be considered odd on 15 years old in every German gym and competition, let alone in an international competiton where there are -as you said- countries watching with different clothing standards.
It's a question of respect. Just my opinion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back