MAG When should the boys start wearing grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My son is a level 5, and will probably compete level 5 again next year. His coach had them get grips (high bar only), but they are still working on breaking them in, so they did not compete in them. I noticed when we were at Regions, that many other gymnasts at the same level were already competing in their grips in level 5 for high bar, and some on rings. Also, in watching the level 6's compete, I noticed our level 6's were some of the only gymnastics not wearing grips on rings (they did use them on high bar).
My son's coach hasn't mentioned anything about grips for the rings, and after seeing that our 6's didn't compete in them I'm wondering why he wouldn't have his gymnasts wear them when 99% of the other coaches do?
And do most other level 5's compete in them? Who knows, maybe for the guys that will compete level 5 again he will have them compete in them for high bar...but the rings one has me stumped. Thoughts?
Thanks!

I'd say high bar grips are a good idea but not a necessity for level 5. Ring grips, I generally hold off until level 6, just because they make the muscle-up so much harder.

For level 6, I require my boys to wear grips on high bar and strongly recommend them for rings. I require them for both at any level above 6.

I'd say high bar grips are a good idea but not a necessity for level 5. Ring grips, I generally hold off until level 6, just because they make the muscle-up so much harder.

For level 6, I require my boys to wear grips on high bar and strongly recommend them for rings. I require them for both at any level above 6.

This is generally what our boys team coach does, too. My son is DYING to get them! lol...I think its a status thing for him. But our coach told us that the boys need to have certain wrist strength and know that proper way to shift their own grip on the bar before he will allow them to wear grips.

our boys

all got them for HB and rings the day they start training L5. Almost all the boys around here had them for both events at states and regionals.

At first my DS didn't like them, but after they were broken in he prefers using them. They did hurt his hands for sometime and take a bit to break in, so I'm glad he had them for a long time before a competition.

BTW.. he's the NYS L5 HB and pommel champ for ages 7-9. :)

At DS's gym I think they get them when they start training L5. The preteam-L5 group has them but not the preteam-L4. DS will compete L4 in the winter and I will let you know when grips show up, if he tells me or I see.

At my son's gym they all got them at level 5. Most of them wore them for high bar and rings, but mine and maybe two other's only wore them for high bar. My ds just doesn't like the rring grips and his coach says it's personal preference at that level. He is now level 6 and still not needing them for rings. He likes them for the HB because he tends to hold on too tightly without them and when he does that he gets rips. The grips give him thumb rips so now he just tapes his thumbs to prevent that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back