When to strap an injury/sore ankle etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jumeriah

Proud Parent
My 9yr old has gone up to a higher squad level which means working alot more hours. She has just completed 2 weeks of 5x4.5 hr days of a compulsory gym clinic. The last 2 days she has come home with a sore ankle, limping and saying it hurts.

The coach said she has probably bruised it, and put ice on it at the gym. I put ice on it again last night.

I'm new to all this gym world stuff, but am wondering when do you strap an ankle? Do you strap it to support it while its sore?

Any advise would be good.

It's not swollen or black and blue etc, just very sore and hard to walk on.

Thanks
Jumeriah

Get it checked out by a medical professional to see what it is first. Strapping may depend where the pain is and what is causing it. If she is rolling in on landings, strapping for arch support can help.

Ok thanks, she is limping around on it sometimes, not all the time. She said she fell off the beam, she needs to strengthen her ankles.

Her foot rolls in when she walks, she has orthodics.

Thanks ladies

If she fell off beam she may have tweaked it or mildly sprained it. Needs ice and rest. A physiotherapist could give her some good ankle-strengthening exercises. e.g. using a light theraband around your foot, practice writing with your foot (the alphabet or whatever you like).

We brought a balance board that she does every morning to help strengthen them but has only just started to use it at the end of last year, I'll get it checked out this afternoon if she comes home with it in the same condition.

In the mean time i've learnt i need more ice packs in the freezer!! off to spotilight to get some funky material to make some!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back