when to train twice a day

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi--

I am interested in when some other gymnasts have gone to training twice a day? I have a 10yo daughter who is training 5/6...her gym doesn't push the girls on and I really like her coaches. they have said that in Jan 2009--she will be moving to twice daily. What are some pros and cons?

Thanks so much!!

for level 5/6?? those are the last 2 compulsory levels, why would they train twice a day??
the level 10's at our gym don't even train twice a day.........they only train 20 hrs/wk.

Have they said why they are having compulsory gymnasts train twice/day? will that only be 2 days/wk instead of once a day for 3 or 4 days/wk?

Our gym has optional open workouts in the morning and regular workouts 3 -4 times per week with compulsory levels. (The level 4's go 3 days) The girls have a chance to work on particular weeknesses with the upper level coaches. They do their strength training at regular practice. It helps a lot when they are having trouble with a particular skill.

Next year our gym will be opening up two workouts a day to home schooled team gymnasts. Just about the only way you can do it, besides having to have sleep and nutrition dialed in.

Dd's gym only had 2 sessions during the summer and the 2nd session was an optional session - morning was manditory!

I would take this sport day to day. No since in worrying about 2009, when you don't know if she will even be in the sport. It is nice when coaches say things, but sometimes we have to be realistic. My dd is 10 and a level 9-we did the two a day practice. Just my vey humble opinion.

The only times my gym ever held twice a day workouts were during the summer and open gym for the 2nd workout. During the summer we would come twice a day two days a week, and those days were usually divided into basics/drills in one work out and strength and conditioning/flexibility in the other workout. The only other time I trained twice a day was on Saturdays when I would choose to go to an extra practice in the afternoon.

Personally, I think twice a day is a little much for any gymnast that is not a 9 or 10--unless it is absouletly necessary. I suggest, as krazykidsmom said, focusing on one day, week, or month at a time; who knows what could happen tomorrow.

The pros of working out twice a day are the fact that you can have more time on each event, go back to a skill during the 2nd workout that was giving you grief during the 1st workout, and have an extra workout for strength/conditioning/flexibility.

The cons of wokring out twice a day--more wear and tear on the body, less individual time/more hours in the gym, added frustration, and the fact of simplying over doing it.

The only time I ever did 2 practices a day was in college after coming back from Christmas break, before classes started again. For compulsory levels I would be curious what the point is, it seems like a quick way to burn out gymnasts. As BB said it makes sense to do workouts during the day for homeschool children but as a parent I would be asking a lot of questions before committing to that type of schedule.

Because I clean the gym, my girls hit the gym every weekday morning at 6:30 for a 30 min workout on top of the three weekly classes. The morning routines are strictly to work on muscle strength and endurance, not any of the skills or routines.

I trained twice a day as a child and one of my children currently trains twice a day. Training twice a day is supposed to allow for school if the first training session is very, very early, but it also is supposed to minimize injury as the gymnasts have time off in the middle of the day to rest. If the two sessions are 5 hours and 3 hours (LOL), that won't help, but if the sessions are 3 and 3 hours, it is supposed to cut down on repetitive stress injuries. Many 2-a-day gymnasts do train good hours (perhaps starting at 8 or 9 am and finishing at 6 pm) which may also cuts down on injuries.

It's a very personal choice to a family & gymnast and highly dependent on how your gym handles it. There are probably as many different kinds of 2-a-day programs as there are gyms in this country. Find out more about your gym's program and you'll be ready - perhaps one day - to make that choice.

January 2009?? That's over a year away! I can't believe coaches would try to think that far in advance. In my opinion, once a day is plenty for gymnasts of that level. Remember, this is a sport where burn out comes very easily if you're not careful.

January 2009?? That's over a year away! I can't believe coaches would try to think that far in advance. In my opinion, once a day is plenty for gymnasts of that level. Remember, this is a sport where burn out comes very easily if you're not careful.

The poster says that the coach is bringing up 2009, not her. Even though a year is an eternity in gymnastics, it can be (at certain gyms) somewhat normal to introduce the idea of different forms of training long before it happens to prepare the parents and kids emotionally for the change and to give them time to consider the decision seriously. Switching to a 2-a-day system and/or homeschooling and many other decisions are big ones. I don't see any harm in contemplating and learning in advance. To me, the only problem is putting the cart before the horse and developing an expectation that may never be realized. Expectations can also be damaging to kids. No one needs the pressure of one- day-maybe-being-an-elite when they are a Level 5, but that's not what we're discussing here.

Really, this issue is nuts!!!!!:D I can only see if my daughter was on the team for the Olympics in the next year allowing her to train twice a day!

There is just no need for those hours at any compulsory level, and I really don't even get it at the optional level. I have heard of down south gyms that have level 4,5,6 girls training huge numbers of hours, that is nuts too, but to split the training.:eek:

My reply to the coach would be, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but I'd also be looking for another gym that could train my child more effectively in a sensible amount of time. Decent group sizes, no standing around and a strong coaching style would be my first requirements, if my dd could not aquire compulsory skills and routines with those conditions in 12 hours a week, I would have to realise that gym is not her strong point!!!

As for going to the gym while mom is working there, well that's just fine and frankly it is good for the girls to see how hard mom works to provide the "extras" in life, and lets remember folks gymnastics is an optional extra!

Really
There is just no need for those hours at any compulsory level, and I really don't even get it at the optional level. I have heard of down south gyms that have level 4,5,6 girls training huge numbers of hours, that is nuts too, but to split the training.:eek:
extra!

If the original poster's daughter is a 5/6 now, I would guess she'd be a L7 or L8 at the time that the gym moves her into 2-a-days.

2-a-days can be 40 hours a week, but they can also be 18-20. They may require homeschool and they may not. It simply depends on the gym and what the schedule is. Some gyms also provide mornings-only or 2-a-days to kids who homeschool-by-choice to give the kids and their families maximum flexibility. Some offer it so that the families can avoid Saturday practices and have their weekends free. Some use it for optionals so that it can be quieter and they can have free reign over the equipment which is not always available in the afternoons.

I really don't know of any compulsory doing 2-a-days and training 30-35 hours a week, but I'm sure there's someone out there doing such a thing. Most 2-a-days are NOT like that and they rarely involve kids under the age of 9/10 who are not already optionals or training for imminent optionals. Obviously, 2-a-days can be synonymous with for elite training in a gym, but again, it depends on the gym.

Our gym does 2-a-days for Optionals only (if they want, an evening only program is also an option) regardless of age. It does require that the girls be home or private schooled. They go 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon with school in between. They also go on Saturday mornings.

It's great for family time--we actually get to eat dinner with our child. That's quite a change after years of her eating dinner alone at 9 p.m.

Wow...great thread. 2-a-days work for about 1% (or less) of the competitive gymnastics population. Getting a college scholarship doesn't require 2-a-days. Becoming an elite...that's a whole new ballgame. One thing is certain...Level 5/6 is NOT 2-a-day time and nobody knows where she'll be in 2009. Just take one day at a time and see where it leads you.

Here's a good link about coaching elites:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/women/tops/coaching.html

Notice the part that says:

The goals of all will be achieved only by those who are totally committed and dedicated to this task. Many personal sacrifices will be made by you, your families, and your athletes. The choice to coach at this level will also be a financial burden to your business.

Last edited:
I think I didn't make myself clear. Our gym DOES NOT let compulsory girls go twice a day. I was just trying to think ahead about schooling situations and the sport itself. She loves gymnastics and would give up just about everything to continue---I, on the other hand, really struggle with the sport--the amount of time it involves, the sacrifices necessary and the fact that you are pretty much done after the age of 22. That is assuming that you get to compete in college. It is more of a me factor, I am the one struggling as a parent, not a gymnast factor.

We left our rec gym a year ago for this more competitive gym---when we evaluated for a spot--I felt sure she would not get a place. I look back over a year and realize how different our lives are because of gymnastics and this environment. She really loves it--and that I am grateful for--I am sorry to ramble....

Hi--

I am interested in when some other gymnasts have gone to training twice a day? I have a 10yo daughter who is training 5/6...her gym doesn't push the girls on and I really like her coaches. they have said that in Jan 2009--she will be moving to twice daily. What are some pros and cons?

Thanks so much!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back