When You Get Scared, What Helps You?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjaiderz1106

So lately, I will get really nervous/scared for skills... I try to just say, "Im ok, I can do it!" But its not helping, what helps you? :mad:

I'm the same way, and to be honest I haven't really found anything that works for me every time. Just don't think about all the bad things that could come from it, just think about how happy and proud you'll be when you complete the skill. I know this doesn't always work but it's work a shot :)

try walking away for a minute,get a drink tell yourself you can do it and like ibleedchalk said think about how proud you are and not of the what ifs and the bad stuff. youll overcome it, last summer i had that problem with doing giants while my coach was standing on the floor i could only do it while de was standing on a mat it made me feel safer but i eventually got it. well good luck and i hope everything works out!

I have this problem on beam. I have my cartwheel and handstand, but I CANNOT do it on high beam.

I usually take a few deep breaths, ask my coach to spot me once, then ask them to watch me try. If they're not watching, I chicken out and I don't even try. So I HAVE to try if they're watching.

Then I just remind myself that I cannot get hurt in my cartwheel/handstand. It is highly unlikely that my legs will go on opposite sides of the beam if I don't land my cartwheel; they will just land on one side and I will be fine. And if I start tipping over in a handstand, I can twist off.

Then I'll try and if I don't do it right, my coach will encourage me which gives me more bravery and I'll finally do it! :)

It's really important to decide that you're actually going to do the skill before your turn. Not just "well, maybe I'll go". If you don't feel confident enough to do it, do another timer or get a spot. After I decide to go, I take a lot of deep breaths before my turn. Then when I go to do whatever I'm scared of, if I start freaking out, I think "NO. Just go". I first did this when jumping off a 5m diving platform and it's helped me a lot since. :) Also, just remember your coaches wouldn't be letting you go for the skill if they weren't 100% confident in your ability to do the skill safely and successfully. HTH!

Me and my friends make bet with each other, if one person does a skill than the other has a to do a skill. We also threaten to take each other's shorts, that usually works. :)

Haha! Me and my friends do that too! It actually helps A LOT! We made a "promise" that if she gets a 9.5 on floor, I will get a 10.0 on bars..Or if I get a 10.0 on bars, she will get a 9.5 on floor! (I have been scoring 9.9's and she has been getting 9.45's) So we will see how it works at our meet tomorrow morning!! :D

She actually just got her BWO on high beam, and I have been terrified of it...So when she did it, she said if I do it, she will give me brownies! So..I just got up and did it!! Haha...You have GOT to love TEAM <3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back