Where to buy fabric to make a leotard?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone advise of a decent place to buy leotard fabric that is affordable? I want to try and make some for my daughter as they are so expensive to buy! Even second hand

Jumeriah

if you look back at old posts using thye search function there ar e lots of suggestions - a word of warning, leo fabric is not cheap. Many posters have listed suppliers around the world so you should be able to find something.

I'll assume you're in Australia. Spotlight sells leotard fabric. The Remnant Warehouse in Alexandria (Sydney) also sells leotard fabric and have a website you can purchase from if you're not local. You can google them. Good luck! I make all my daughter's leos except the required club ones for competitions etc.

Spotlight sells "Dance lycra" including metallic varieties, it'll do the job, but the patterns (such as horizontal stripes, zebra print polka dots) are kind of hideous and the plain fabrics are in really gaudy colours. I've made shorts before out of stretch velvet and that works well, and would make for a nice leotard too, you can't see the seems as well so it's okay if you mess up or sew a little crooked.
It's also worth a look in Lincraft, I'm not sure of the quality of their lycra (thickness, wear), though they do have a larger range of just plain colours. Also look in local craft/sewing shops.
You can look at spandexworld.com for fabrics too.

If you're looking for cheaper leotards without the hassle of sewing I recommend you look on etsy. There are a lot of gym mums and dads that make cheap leos and shorts, some even making custom orders that ship to Australia.

Have a look at Gym Critter on facebook too, they will make custom leos and shorts, based on your colour/fabric choices

Also ebay if you want second hand (even new) leotards on the cheap. I've picked up a $15 brand new (scrunchie. tags and all) GK leotard on there, and plenty of other new leos for under $30

Then there's discountleotards.com

thanks ladies. I managed to get one leotard on sale from the USA, but am being out bid on ebay aussie. They are going for $40, then postage on top. I purchased a patter off etsy, well 2 actually and want to have a go at making my own.

Whats the best fabric to use? my daughter loves the shiny ones

:O) Off to check out the sites suggested

Velour is easier to sew and lasts longer ( seems to stretch with the small person), mystique is a pain to sew and wash (Cold water only, no detergent or heat) but they like it

Unfortunately, I disagree with Iwannabemargo. (sorry!) I will do anything to avoid sewing with velour, as the pile makes it slip terribly when I sew. I much prefer any lycra fabric without pile.

I do agree that velour lasts longer because it is more stretchy though. :)

Glitter and Dance is great for fabric. I think it in qld- I order online and it's usually at my place in NSW within the week :) They are great! They should come up on google search.

I've ordered from Glitter and Dance too and found it good. And once you are on their mailing list you get emails about sales which are the best time to buy fabric if you've got a lot of flexibility around type and colour.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back