Which Class?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZZMom

Proud Parent
Hi All,

My little ZZ is 4 1/2 and I'm in the process of signing her up for gymnastics. She has tried classes a couple of other times but just didn't seem ready emotionally to go with the class, etc. She has continued to ask for gymnastics so today I tried her out at a couple of different gyms. She liked both :) which was good but it also makes it difficult for me to choose. Any thoughts?

Gym 1. Very busy gym with good upper level program. ZZ was hesitant about going out with the teacher but warmed up once she got going. The teacher was a nice young girl who seemed to take instruction very seriously. They started with stretching. ZZ is extremely flexible and can do splits all three ways but didn't demonstrate any of this to the nice young teacher :) After stretching, they hit all four events and the teacher did a nice job even showing her very specifically how to get onto the beam correctly, etc. This gym is about a half hour from our home and was the more expensive of the two gyms.

Gym 2. The atmosphere at this gym was generally much more relaxed. The gym is not known for high level gymnasts. ZZ seemed to pick up the more relaxed vibe and ran out on the floor with another little girl when it was time for class. The teacher was a bit older and did a lot less "helping" the kids. ZZ walked up to handstand against the wall by herself, etc. The group stretched first and the teacher (accurately) noted that ZZ was pretty flexible just from seeing her butterfly and challenged her to stretch a bit more. So she got to see all three of ZZ's splits and somehow got her to bridge up by herself. After stretching, the kids chased hula hoops across the floor, practiced jumps and controlled landings on a carpet, and went through a typical cheese/mat/bar obstacle course. The class ended with conditioning. Gym 2 is about 15 minutes from our house and was about 25% less expensive than the other gym. Gym 2 also has an open gym option for a small fee on Saturday's for enrolled students.

ZZ loved both gyms and I thought they each were different but had good qualities. Short term goal for ZZ is for her to have fun and get used to being in a gym, develop the confidence she currently lacks, etc.

Any feedback?

Best Wishes,

ZZ's Mom

It is possible the first gym doesn't do a lot of stretching with preschoolers, just warm up stretching. The USAG guideline is not to bridge until 5 and some programs are stricter on this than others. They don't start the serious "flexibility" stretching until older ages/higher levels, and don't do bridges with preschoolers.

But it sounds like Gym 2 may be better for your goal of increasing confidence and associating "class" with fun. You can always switch after some time.

Personally I'd really favour no 2 because:
a) The coach got more out of ZZ (good sign that she's attentive to present capability and intends to stretch her more);
b) ZZ's comfortable there;
c) It's cheaper;
d) It's closer;
e) Gyms with good reputations for upper levels programs can afford to concentrate their best resources at those levels (because good lower gymnasts will probably gravitate to them later anyway). Unless ZZ has been selected for special attention ... but it sounds like she hasn't. Bit surprising considering she's that flexible and keen to boot.
Even if you like gym no. 1 I'd still suggest you train at the other until she's got more form/skills to get no 1's attention (assuming her interest continues in the sport anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments! Over night, I did basically decide on gym 2 primarily due to their focus on getting her to do things on her own. :)

Update :)

Hi All,

Just an update for those who might be choosing a program and be interested in how this has turned out for us.

ZZ has now been at gym 2 for almost three months and loves going. She was moved from the beginning tot class to an advanced tot class after the first month. The classes are taught by the owner of the gym and are exactly what I was looking for.

Emphasis has continued to be on fun but I can definitely what the program is working toward in terms of body control, etc. The kids are encouraged to do things on their own (something I really like vs. spotted work for this age). Even my older dd who is a former level 10 gymnast and spent three years coaching a hard core tops program is satisfied that this is the right fit for her little sister at this point. :)

Best Wishes,

ZZMom

It sounds like you found a great fit. Keep us updated on her progress.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back