WAG Which deduction is greater?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
In level 4 bars: connecting the cast to the kip but NOT hitting horizontal, or NOT connecting the cast to the kip but hitting horizontal (in other words, pausing between kip and cast).

Dd seems to be choosing between the two options in any given routine. Not a huge deal but I was curious how the deductions in either case would effect the score.

I'm guessing that connecting is more important that the cast height....however, if the cast is nowhere close to hitting horizontal, like no cast, then she will get hammered. By not connecting, the cast by itself becomes less difficult.......please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not connecting gets the bigger deduction (and incurs an extra swing deduction on top of it). Our HC said the stopping between is at least 0.6 deduction and just not hitting horizontal is a max of 0.3 deduction… of course, she may be wrong, but sounds right to me.

Connect the kip to the cast even if it's not horizontal. Not connecting is a flat .3 plus you still have to add in whatever cast deductions she may get for amplitude, body position, arms and legs. And then there will definitely be a rhythm deduction.

Ok good to know. I assume her coaches have told her this.
I wouldn't assume this....coaches often don't get into the finer details of scoring and such. They just want them to eventually get the skill all connected and pretty, but in my experience they don't go into the details of scoring and deductions.

I wouldn't assume this....coaches often don't get into the finer details of scoring and such. They just want them to eventually get the skill all connected and pretty, but in my experience they don't go into the details of scoring and deductions.

Good point. I did ask dd if she knew which way was "better" and she didn't know, but maybe I phrased the question weird. I'll maybe mention it if it comes up.

They did a mock meet recently and she connected the kip and cast but didn't hit horizontal. She scored an 8.3. I'm guessing if she can get horizontal and clean up her elbows on her kips then she'll be in pretty good shape. [emoji4]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back