WAG Which foam for tumbling strip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nevertooold

What is the benefit or difference of 2 inch vs 13/8 inch foam on a spring tumbling strip?

I think it depends on how many layers of transition you want your kids to go through as they progress from the softest surfaces like tumble track to the competition surface. Assuming both foam thicknesses have the same material composition, the thicker one will be softer and will increase the the amount of time spent executing the punch phase of take-offs.

That's going to change the timing of the set going into salto skills because while their feet are slower (extra time compessing through that extra 3/8 foam), their bodies will continue in motion at the same speed they normally tumble with. Expect to see sets that are falling back instead of standing up as a result of the thicker foam until your gymnasts become acustomed to it.

One benifit is that it will force them to slow down most of their bad habits on the set, and possibly give them an opportunity to feel their mistakes and correct them in a "slow motion" setting.....if you get what I mean.

What is the benefit or difference of 2 inch vs 13/8 inch foam on a spring tumbling strip?

no such thing as 13/8. i think you meant 3/8. the best for the kids is 2 inch EVA. nothing compares whether for strip or floor.:)

no such thing as 13/8. i think you meant 3/8. the best for the kids is 2 inch EVA. nothing compares whether for strip or floor.:)

1 and 3/8 in carpet bonded foam, vs 2 in carpet bonded foam. I had assumed everyone used 2 in same as on floor, but when i started getting quotes several vendors assumed 1 and 3/8 in. which left me wondering if that was what most others were using, and if so why. Thanks!

yes, there is also 1 3/8. again, the 2 inch EVA carpet bonded foam is the best product introduced in the last 20 years. and it's fast. accommodates all different weight kids. the best of the best all things in gymnastics considered.:)

the thicker one will be softer and will increase the the amount of time spent executing the punch phase of take-offs.

the 2 inch EVA carpet bonded foam is the best product introduced in the last 20 years. and it's fast. accommodates all different weight kids. the best of the best all things in gymnastics considered.:)

I keep getting updated all the time in the forum. Thanks for the info......I figure my knowlege base on equipment has progressed from the stone age 70's and 80's to matbe the mid 00's. Maybe by the time I get the right kind of position, I'll know about all the recent advances in equipment.......it'll come in handy while I'm working kick-over lay to full twisting tuck beam series to my 5yo pre J.E.T.'s. I'd linger a bit longer but there are some pretty serious looking truant officers in the lobby.....I think they're tring to find out why half the area kindergarten age kids aren't in school....:eek: :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back