WAG Which skills do you love?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

azara

Coach
Gymnast
We had a thread a while back about which skills gymnasts found the hardest. Here's another take: which is your, or your DD/DS', favourite to perform? Which do you like to watch the most?

My favourite to do is probably a front walkover, because I love the feeling of the lever. I really want to be able to do it with a totally flat split shape, because I think they look awesome that way. You can do it slowly, and really think about the mechanics and emphasise the arch, or you can do it fast and fluidly, which is good fun as well. My favourite to watch is a good front aerial with straight legs and a nice upwards trajectory - those look awesome and defy gravity. Maybe one day I will be able to do one :)

How about you?

I love doing a cartwheel because it’s the only skill I can do. :D

I swear I love watching my daughter do her BWOs. It’s not fancy or hard, realtivly speaking but its just lovely to me.

Her layouts too.

On beam, I love to watch the Onodi. It's elegant and beautiful. On floor the Biles done well amazes me. On bars I love a gravity defying release over a single bar from men or women. On vault, I am amazed by a true stick after a super high vault with beautiful form. They just put their feet down and stand up. I true stick makes a skill that is almost impossible look easy.

Eta, my girl can't do any of the above.

Her floor routine, all of it. I'm biased but I just feel like she gets out on the floor and just shines, she has so much energy and you can tell that she just LOVES being out there and would stay out there for hours if she could! She reminds me of Laurie H in that her floor routine just made you want to stop and watch and you could just feel the energy coming off of her.

Favorite to watch is a really high front tuck, or any other floaty skill.

Favorite to do is handstand forward roll on beam, because it is a real challenge for me.

My son's yamawaki on rings and his peach on pbars. My daughter's full on floor (which will probably give way to a 1.5 this season) and her FWO on beam. They just make these skills look very artistic. If I have time, I will edit together a short video and post -- it would be fun if others were willing to do the same!

I love front aerial on beam. Not that Puma Jr can do it! Lol. My favorite skill of hers is her layout flyaway, which is getting better and better. I REALLY like the double layout flyaway, but I think I may just have to enjoy that by watching the elites lol

I love watching single-bar releases, a really elegant press handstand mount on beam, and a good 180-degree split leap. My kid is doing none of those yet, but I think her kip-cast and her scale/ronde de jambe thingy on beam are quite lovely.

The beginning of Morgan Lane’s beam routine is the coolest thing I have ever seen in person. Video does not adequately convey the grace and power.

And favorite skill to perform? Definitely a split leap because I can still do a pretty decent one. I snuck in a couple while the parents were setting up equipment a few days ago. The spring floor really helps. I would have tried some other stuff too, but it would have gotten me kicked out. Oh, how I wish the gym had an adult class.

I loved doing my floor routine last year the music was Phantom of the Opera and I loved being drawn into the music and being graceful. I love doing switch leaps on beam because of the extra height makes you feel like you are flying. I have recently been doing giants, flyaway half's and yurchenko drills doing any new skill is enjoyable

As a spectator parent...

My favorite bar skills are a free hip to handstand (when done well of course), layout flyaway...also a good stalder on bars.

I don't really like any vaults - too affraid of injury no matter what skill level.

Beam - onodi, front and side aeriels...all flexibility type moves. Dislike power type moves, while impressive, I worry too much about injury to enjoy them.

Floor I like switch ring leaps, really good front tumbling passes...like front fulls into connected skills...

For girls I love to watch anyone who swings bars (vs girls who kind of muscle their way through) and for men, I love pommels for kind of the same reason.

All good suggestions, everyone!

My favourite vault to watch is probably Ellie Black's awesome front layout full, it looks so different and gravity-defying, but she executes it very cleanly most of the time.

My favourite bars skill to watch is an Ezhova (like a Pak that starts backwards and then turns forwards to face the LB), and to do is a back hip circle, they're lots of fun.

Favourite beam skill is a handstand (to the side) with a double stag, I really like how it looks and the challenge of controlling it for the whole time is good fun. To watch would have to be a really floaty LOSO, or Pauline's Schaefer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back