• FRANCE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BRAZIL

• JAPAN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So which team do you actually think will win the Olympic WAG team finals?

Remember this is not who you "want" to win.

Gosh this a tough one - and a nail biter. Both China and USA have the potential to win. Too much pressure to try and make a decision now.

I think the USA will pull it off. We got our mistakes out of the way in prelims, and I suspect some the the Chinese girls will crack a bit in finals. Even though we were far behind the chinese in prelims, we were 1 athlete down on 2 events. I can't picture Nastia falling again on bars, though I could always be surprised. But comparing the top 3 scores for each event for each team, it would put the US only .762 behind China. One less fall, and thats all it would take. Considering how uncharacteristic all our mistakes were at prelims, I'm not too worried.

~Katy

Nastia's fall on UB wasn't nearly as uncharacteristic as He Kexin's. Nastia's dismount is always wishy-washy and makes me nervous, where He's pak never has problems. If we can hit like that on beam, and Nastia can make the connection(s?) she missed, it will help us there, as the Chinese are alwys excellent beam workers. Floor...we've got to stay in those lines! I hope they give Alicia another chance-I really believe she could get the job done. Besides that, if we can stay on our feet with decent landings, we should be ok. Vault-I highly doubt we're going to see China faulter as badly here as we did in prelims. The key is going to be in the landings. We're going to have to out-do them on everything else, just to keep up on bars. Their SV and consistency is much higher on bars(well excpet Shawn who always hits...which reminds me that we need to have her stay on track).

It would help also if they copied their male counterparts as far as those STUCK landings and solid routines.

USA will pull it off! The pressure will get to the Chinese girls, and IMO they might even be disqualified because of the age thing!

I hope team USA pulls it off. I think that this is where the "age" thing will hurt China. USA team has more maturity, experience and more artistry. China has youth and hard skills but will they be able to do them under the pressure? USA, has to bring it on like the men did last night & not quit or get hurt!

China. Just because they have a 1.8 lead over the US. I am rooting for the US, but China can have two more falls than the US. And the judges like the dance over the power as the scoring has gone.

The thing it does affect is the psyche of the gymnasts. Also,China will follow the US, which means they will know how they need to compete in order to lock up the gold.

Picture this: last event is floor, the US has just nailed it and now leads. China is going to go all out now,, leaving it all out on the floor. If they play it safe they'll take second, but if they leave it all out there, they could have a chance at gold.

OR

This: The US trails China by a considerable amount. China knows all they have to do is stay on their feet and they'll have the gold locked up.

So that's the advantage.

Happy for China and for the US :) 2nd place - heck yeah!

my only :eek:??????? :eek: is how could Romania take bronze over RUS?

So sad for Anna Pavlova's choke on floor...

Anna also fell on beam, she had a very rough night, I have hope for her in the AA.

China did an amazing job, sadly I think this games will always have a shadow over the age of their girls. The US did a great job, silver isn't nothing to sneeze at.

Gosh this a tough one - and a nail biter. Both China and USA have the potential to win. Too much pressure to try and make a decision now.

Ok - I finally made up my mind - I'm gonna go with China. :bawling::bawling::bawling:

yeah what is up with China and they whole age thing? And I think it is unfair how the judges were favoring China but you have to expect it because they are competing in China :(

I use prelims as a baseline. If we add up top 3 on each event, it should give us an idea of how the team will do in finals if they perform similarly. For the USA it actually did, counting a couple falls and OOB on floor on top of usual form break/missed HS/etc deductions our score of 186.525 was only .225 off from the total of our top 3 scores in prelims. China on the other hand, was very obviously over scored in finals. Even if they had been scored fairly they'd have beat us, but that's not the point. They did not perform significantly better in finals (fall on beam instead of bars, etc) yet they totalled 188.9. their top 3 total from prelims was 187.512. Decide for yourself if they performed 1.388 points worth better in finals than prelims.

~Katy

I use prelims as a baseline. If we add up top 3 on each event, it should give us an idea of how the team will do in finals if they perform similarly. For the USA it actually did, counting a couple falls and OOB on floor on top of usual form break/missed HS/etc deductions our score of 186.525 was only .225 off from the total of our top 3 scores in prelims. China on the other hand, was very obviously over scored in finals. Even if they had been scored fairly they'd have beat us, but that's not the point. They did not perform significantly better in finals (fall on beam instead of bars, etc) yet they totalled 188.9. their top 3 total from prelims was 187.512. Decide for yourself if they performed 1.388 points worth better in finals than prelims.

~Katy

And what are you basing your "obvious overscore" statement on? You are saying that the Chinese could not have scored 1.388 better because...have you done some sort of side by side video analysis? I'd be interested in seeing it.

I could watch the videos, and maybe tomorrow when I have time I will but rather I am basing it mostly on beam, also that they were really solid in prelims. But in finals on beam there were a number of bobbles obviously ignored, even my mother commented on it.

If you remember mess ups in prelims that I don't, go ahead and point them out. Most people I've spoken to though agree that China was over scored in finals, especially on beam. Either way, as I said decide for yourself if they performed 1.388 better in finals than in their *top three routines* on each event at prelims. If you think they did, ok fine. Just for me personally, and as far as other people I've talked to, I just don't see it. There's no big mess ups I can recall in prelims that would have accounted for that. That's an awful lot of the little deductions.

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back