Whipbacks??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

FlipTwistFly28

Well.... I had open gym last night and I wanted to try something new so I thought of a whipback!! I tried doing a few of them and they weren't that bad, but i was going a little too high and I think I needed to do a little more of the "whip" part. Another coach said that you have to have a very flexible back, which I don't really have... but I still tried them anyways. So does anyone have any tips to get them better? Also, what would be a good pass to do with it? ( I'm a level 8/high school) :)

My gymmie is certainly not the most flexible through the back and she does whips without any problem. She'll have a ro-bhs-whip-bt in her L8 floor routine this year.

Actually, a flexible back is a liability on a whip. The object is to stay as straight as possible in a very slight arch mid-flip.

We train whips by doing tight, straight back handsprings over two 8" mats (turned sideways) and eventually try them without the mats.

Actually, a flexible back is a liability on a whip. The object is to stay as straight as possible in a very slight arch mid-flip.

We train whips by doing tight, straight back handsprings over two 8" mats (turned sideways) and eventually try them without the mats.

I always thought this as well - bendy back not good on a whip!

Then what's the difference between a whip back and a layout? I thought the layout was straight and the whip was more arched.

Layout is a salto- the action should go up & then rotate.

Whip is a bhs w/ no hands, should be low to ground and gather speed like a BHS.

Layout is a salto- the action should go up & then rotate.

Whip is a bhs w/ no hands, should be low to ground and gather speed like a BHS.

Thanks, I get it. Do you know of any good videos of whipbacks? My DD has been doing them on the tumble track but I know she's not been doing them with a straight body (her BHS isn't straight either). I'd love to be able to show her what they should look like.

If you watch power tumbling videos on youtube, you can see an obvious difference between whips and layouts.

I will never understand why gyms just let kids chuck whips... they're easy to learn correctly when you have a strong BHS and so annoying to fix when you learn them badly.

I looked this up in the FIG code and it very clearly shows a very arched back in the whipback drawings (5.104 whip salto bwd).

Thanks everyone! Guess my coach wasn't really that right with the flexible back thing, but whatever! lol Next time I'm in the gym I'm going to them again.

If your back is super flexible, it will actually require more work to snap over. However, you do get help by putting your spine in that arch to help. Still, it could be rougher on the spine over time or just once.

We taught whips by redrilling the HS on a panel mat stack or 4 or 8 inchers turned sidewards like Lannavity.

We also used to work handstand snapdown to whip back onto the tramp by setting the block on the edge of the tramp. Eventually we did HS-snapdown, whip onto the tramp rebound into the pit or whip into the pit, layout, double, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back