WAG Who are your Top 5 Coaches or Gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Calimomof2

Proud Parent
Most people I know seem to like the same gyms or coaches. I was wondering if the same are at the top of everyone’s list. Perhaps there is a new up and coming coach or gym.

Most people I know seem to like the same gyms or coaches. I was wondering if the same are at the top of everyone’s list. Perhaps there is a new up and coming coach or gym.

Most people have no idea who coaches are outside of their own area. I can't imagine you are going to get much consensus on this. Most people can't just move somewhere to be with a specific coach or at a specific gym.

Most people have no idea who coaches are outside of their own area. I can't imagine you are going to get much consensus on this. Most people can't just move somewhere to be with a specific coach or at a specific gym.

I wasn’t thinking in terms of picking up and moving. More in terms of girls who represent their gyms at Nationals, Hopes, and Tops.

IMHO, never move for gym unless you kid is already an elite. We live in an area with a high concentration of well known gyms. My daughter goes to one. Every one of those gyms has their “dream team” and their “expendable” team. It may be too late for your kid by the time you figure where she is placed. Being an “expendable” SUCKS.

I can barely name the gyms and in my area. And I don’t even know all the kids at my kids gym.

The only gymnastics relevant to our lives are my kid and our friends.

IMHO, never move for gym unless you kid is already an elite. We live in an area with a high concentration of well known gyms. My daughter goes to one. Every one of those gyms has their “dream team” and their “expendable” team. It may be too late for your kid by the time you figure where she is placed. Being an “expendable” SUCKS.

I think I didn’t properly phrase my question. I was talking about Gyms in the US overall not just in a particular area. I was thinking along the lines of Gage and Texas Dreams. You did bring up something I never even thought of in terms of expendable? Are you referring to kids on a team the coaches are not really invested in? If so then I agree that would truly suck.

I just never feel comfortable naming coaches like this. There are coaches I dreamed of training with as a kid who have since come to light as abusers. It's almost impossible to judge from afar who's actually a "good" coach in terms of creating a positive environment, protecting the physical and mental health of their gymnasts, and making sure that gymnastics can exist as part of a complete life.

If we're just talking about what coaches produce gymnasts I love to watch, the Gage girls always have beautiful form, and Chow's gymnasts are always some of my favorite's as well.

I just never feel comfortable naming coaches like this. There are coaches I dreamed of training with as a kid who have since come to light as abusers. It's almost impossible to judge from afar who's actually a "good" coach in terms of creating a positive environment, protecting the physical and mental health of their gymnasts, and making sure that gymnastics can exist as part of a complete life.

If we're just talking about what coaches produce gymnasts I love to watch, the Gage girls always have beautiful form, and Chow's gymnasts are always some of my favorite's as well.

Understandable and yes I agree, especially with everything that has come to light as to date.

But yes that’s what I was referring to. Gyms who prodoce girls you love to watch. I like the girls from Gage. I particularly like their beam routines.

I think I didn’t properly phrase my question. I was talking about Gyms in the US overall not just in a particular area. I was thinking along the lines of Gage and Texas Dreams. You did bring up something I never even thought of in terms of expendable? Are you referring to kids on a team the coaches are not really invested in? If so then I agree that would truly suck.

Absolutely! The MO is to pick a bunch of potential winners, push them to level 10 as quickly as possible, and see who breaks and who survives. If your kid isn’t being pushed hard, then she’s an expendable. She’ll be on a whole team of expendables. You’ll never get consistently decent coaching, and your daughter will either quit or move gyms. Then the process starts all over again. In the way meantime, the gym creates a few olympians which attracts the real money makers — rec kids. That’s how club gym works in a nutshell..

I think I didn’t properly phrase my question. I was talking about Gyms in the US overall not just in a particular area. I was thinking along the lines of Gage and Texas Dreams.

There is so much that goes on behind closed doors at these high profile gyms. I wouldn’t in a million years let my child train at GAGE. He was actually sued by Christy Heinrich’s parents back in the day and Julissa Gomez also died under his coaching. Pretty Girls in Little Boxes anyone. No thanks!!!

Al certainly seems like he is doing some good things but as Exgymmomx3 mentions - he had two gymnasts die. Even if this was through no fault of his own direct or indirect. The fact that a few years ago he stated he had 'no regrets' regarding his coaching history is what gets me. Would you not regret that you didn't make Christy feel better about herself and remove the pressure and seeking any help that was avalibe at the time? Would you not regret fixing Julissa's awful vault technique that was an accident waiting to happen?

The best gym is never the best gym unless it is the best for your child at the stage they are at. Rarely is the “It Olympic Gym” the best for everyone. I am absolutely certain that the very best coaches in the world are the ones we never hear about. They are teaching handstands, kips and back handspring to girls and boys while teaching them to love being healthy and active and strong and confident. The best coaches teach teamwork and goal setting and just maybe giants on bars, flipping vaults and even level ten skills. The best coaches teach so much more than gymnastics and we never know their names, and that’s ok.

The best gym is never the best gym unless it is the best for your child at the stage they are at. Rarely is the “It Olympic Gym” the best for everyone. I am absolutely certain that the very best coaches in the world are the ones we never hear about. They are teaching handstands, kips and back handspring to girls and boys while teaching them to love being healthy and active and strong and confident. The best coaches teach teamwork and goal setting and just maybe giants on bars, flipping vaults and even level ten skills. The best coaches teach so much more than gymnastics and we never know their names, and that’s ok.

My daughter has two coaches like this and they are worth their weight in gold. This is such a short-term sport and whether the end is next year or in 10 years, I want to know I am going to have a kid whose gym experience made her stronger, healthier, more confident, and happier. She was in a gym before that had fantastic technical coaching, but they seemed to think young girls had to be beaten down in order to be remade as robots. All the medals in the world aren't worth it if my kid comes out broken on the other side.

My all time favorite coach is not a gymnastics coach, but he is the best high profile/high level coach I have ever known in any sport. His whole philosophy is to 'serve their hearts, not their talents.' And he has proven you can do this AND produce a National Championship team. Every interview of him shows his humbleness and genuineness AND every player and staff member has nothing but great things to say about him.
https://briandoddonleadership.com/2...-to-play-for-clemson-head-coach-dabo-swinney/
Coaches would do well to take note and follow his example.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back