Who is still paying their gym fees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who is still paying gym fees?

• Total voters
@Pirouette , my DD seems to be doing well with pointe at home. There is less of it, of course, but she’s still doing around 2.5 hours a week of pointe work. We’ve even had to have a zoom fitting and mail out ribbon sewing (her brand of shoes are SO hard to sew at home that we prefer professional machine sewing). I would think at least pointe barre is workable at home. She is lucky that her teacher gifted her marley, but a $20 shower pan liner was an acceptable sub for awhile.

Our gym hasn't charged for April or May. If there were a financial need, we would gladly continue to pay, and we acknowledge we are fortunate to be able to do so.

I voted no, but this is the first week we haven’t paid anything, we paid full fees up until 1st May. Our club rents the gym and therefore are not being charged rental whilst closed. Our others clubs are asking for 15% so they can continue to pay the coaches, again no hire costs.

We paid for one month, they are crediting it back once they open, then they froze our accounts. We offered to keep paying but they didn't accept. They said coaches are still being paid, and they are doing 3x a week zoom meetings for free basically.

We offered to keep paying but have been told no. There is a chance they might decide to start charging. I hope so. The girls are getting between three and five zoom sessions a week as well as a written/video programme each week, along with lots of morale boosting activities (competitions, Instagram challenges etc) and they are very quick to respond to email questions.

I feel we are getting a service worth paying for.

I have been paying but we haven’t heard a peep from the gym about it. We get workouts via email every week. No Zooms. I‘m paying because I don’t want the gym to go under. No reopen in sight in our state.

I’ve been paying but we got 2 emails so far with written instructions on what the teams should be doing. Zooms are organized among the parents. No coach involvement.

Our gym suspended payments in April, they haven’t asked for support. If they asked, I would pay

Our gym charged full tuition for March and April, 50% for May, there was no choice in the matter. They have provided substantial Zoom workouts during the lockdown, but I highly disagree with full tuition for the majority of the two months of being closed. They are a well-established facility and not at risk of financial ruin. Even a small reduction in tuition for March/April would have gone a long way toward parent satisfaction.

They did not make us pay for April but they still offered zoom classes. Now they have a set zoom schedule for smaller groups so they are charging a reduced tuition that we are paying because we are participating.

@Pirouette , my DD seems to be doing well with pointe at home. There is less of it, of course, but she’s still doing around 2.5 hours a week of pointe work. We’ve even had to have a zoom fitting and mail out ribbon sewing (her brand of shoes are SO hard to sew at home that we prefer professional machine sewing). I would think at least pointe barre is workable at home. She is lucky that her teacher gifted her marley, but a $20 shower pan liner was an acceptable sub for awhile.
We bought a roll of shower pan liner from home depot and covered the living floor (hard wood), seamed together with vinyl tape. DD has been able to do point. It's worked very well for her.

Yes. Paying is optional, as the coaches are still getting paid and we will do whatever it takes to keep them. They are doing zoom workouts 4 days a week and posting different challenges on social media. Anything that has been paid during closure will be prorated through next season’s tuition, which starts in June. They are opening registration for team later this month and hope to start modified practices as soon as June 1. I am not sure how price structure will be once practices resume because they have already said that practices will be shorter with smaller groups. I highly doubt that my level 7 will be back to 16 hours/week right off the bat.

I paid for April but I didn't for May. The gym is only sending out zoom sessions for team members and my daughter was in an advanced rec class. They are doing FB live workouts once a week for the rest of the gym. She was slated to join the team in June. Sadly I think she has lost interest. She takes dance also and they have really stepped up. She has the opportunity to do several zoom classes 5 days a week and her regular class on Sat. She also has been able to experience lots of other types of dance. Not just the one I paid for so we are definitely paying full tuition even though they only asked for half. I am torn about what to do to keep her interested in gymnastics. She has some natural ability but I think that is now shifting more to dance.

Our gym closed March 16 and they asked for full April tuition they said to cover rent and utilities. They also asked for full May tuition as well and the gym will not be open for a couple more weeks as long as nothing changes. The gym has a daily 45min- 1 hour zoom call during the week in terms what is being provided.

I paid for April but I didn't for May. The gym is only sending out zoom sessions for team members and my daughter was in an advanced rec class. They are doing FB live workouts once a week for the rest of the gym. She was slated to join the team in June. Sadly I think she has lost interest. She takes dance also and they have really stepped up. She has the opportunity to do several zoom classes 5 days a week and her regular class on Sat. She also has been able to experience lots of other types of dance. Not just the one I paid for so we are definitely paying full tuition even though they only asked for half. I am torn about what to do to keep her interested in gymnastics. She has some natural ability but I think that is now shifting more to dance.

Most dance studios have embraced the online platform around here, the vast majority seem to have just switched to zoom classes and carried on. That is a lot easier to do with dance than it is in gymnastics.

Dance requires very little equipment. It’s very hard to keep gymnasts engaged through zoom (what are these gyms doing that have the kids training on zoom 5 days a week). Sure we can work strength, fitness, flexibility, conditioning, handstand, basic skills etc. But with no apparatus, and many of the skills the kids are doing, not really being safe to do at home, we are very limited.

Last edited:
Most dance studios have embarrassed the online platform around here, the vast majority seem to have just switched to zoom classes and carried on. That is a lot easier to do with dance than it is in gymnastics.

Dance requires very little equipment. It’s very hard to keep gymnasts engaged through zoom (what are these gyms doing that have the kids training on zoom 5 days a week). Sure we can work strength, fitness, flexibility, conditioning, handstand, basic skills etc. But with no apparatus, and many of the skills the kids are doing, not really being safe to do at ho,e, we are very limited.
Actually we have a trampoline outdoors, mats, a kip bar, and a mid floor beam plus a pull up bar for leg lifts. It's her work ethic that has declined. I had a workout plan for her after all of this started but she did it for a month and decided 'it's too hard!' I can't make her do the work. She's best when she's in the gym with an actual coach who she respects than with her mom.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back