Who is still paying their gym fees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who is still paying gym fees?

• Total voters
Most dance studios have embarrassed the online platform around here, the vast majority seem to have just switched to zoom classes and carried on. That is a lot easier to do with dance than it is in gymnastics.

Dance requires very little equipment. It’s very hard to keep gymnasts engaged through zoom (what are these gyms doing that have the kids training on zoom 5 days a week). Sure we can work strength, fitness, flexibility, conditioning, handstand, basic skills etc. But with no apparatus, and many of the skills the kids are doing, not really being safe to do at ho,e, we are very limited.
Your comment actually VERY much annoyed me btw. SMH My daughter has been in gymnastics for over 3 years and was a member of another gym with a full season of competition. We decided to switch gyms and it was a smaller Christian based gym and they didn't have space for her when we transitioned. Like I said she was slated to join there team in June. So there.

Hi MrsMainch, I am sorry it was not my intention to be critical. Just chatting about the experiences we have had here.

Most of the local dance studios have continued to offer all their regular classes online, and most are still charging the same amount for those online classes as they would for regular, face to face lessons.

Gymnastic clubs around here have not had the same success. They have been a lot more limited in what they have been able to do in their online classes, and many parents have chosen not to sign up due to limited space at home or no suitable flooring. Others have chosen not to be involved, because when they send their kids to gym they feel like they are paying for use of the equipment etc, not just instruction. So it just hasn’t worked as well.

My intention was more to empathise with the difficulty of your situation, with your daughter finding it more difficult to maintain momentum with gym, while dance is taking off.

Most dance studios have embraced the online platform around here, the vast majority seem to have just switched to zoom classes and carried on. That is a lot easier to do with dance than it is in gymnastics.

Dance requires very little equipment. It’s very hard to keep gymnasts engaged through zoom (what are these gyms doing that have the kids training on zoom 5 days a week). Sure we can work strength, fitness, flexibility, conditioning, handstand, basic skills etc. But with no apparatus, and many of the skills the kids are doing, not really being safe to do at home, we are very limited.

Not to mention it gets boring just doing conditioning, especially with the weather getting warmer.

We are. We have 3 hrs of Zoom training/week...and I do wish that it was more. The gym is not requiring payment, but did ask for donations to be able to continue paying staff. We paid full tuition for March, training ended prior to halfway through the month, we paid full April, and same for May. It looks like our gym will re-open soon, but we aren't ready to send our gymnast back just yet. I am hopeful they will continue to do something for those gymnasts not ready to return (I assume we will not be the only ones), especially if we are continuing to pay tuition. Our finances have changed, I'm unable to work much, and my husband is furloughed, unsure of a return. We want to support the gym (and we are), but it also needs to make financial sense at this point.

we have a lot of zoom classes but they seem to be mixing it up a bit to keep it fun. They do some zoomba dancing in addition to traditional conditioning. I agree its hard to keep my kiddo motivated as well, the fun stuff are the skills not the conditioning. However, now that the classes are smaller she is willing to do it more she didnt like the big group trainings she couldnt see well and it felt to disjointed for her. Smaller groups=more engaged for her.

I also agree that dance is more suited for an online format and thats probably why they have had more success but great on them for adapting its really impressive. I think ingnuity across the board has been impressive...parents, teachers, sports, kids....Despite differing views on this situation people really seem to try and and meet people where they are at and I respect that.

Our gym stopping charging tuition when the State shut everything down.

Despite that, the owners and coaches run Zoom workouts and stretching two to three times a week depending on the level.

The gym asked for volunteer contributions and I gladly paid what I thought was an at least fair amount based the hours of Zooming they do. They also sold leotards and we bought one.

Our gym is not requiring payment for April or May. They did ask if anyone could continue to pay they would welcoming it. We still have our jobs so we have continued to pay. Our other club sports for our kids has continued to charge.

We are. Our gym does 2-3 hours of zoom training 4 days a week. It’s been very good and worth the money. They are offering incentives and money back in the fall for people who keep paying now. I’ve been super impressed with how they have navigated this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back