• Ksenia Afanasyeva (Russia)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gabriela Dragoi (Romania)

• Koko Tsurumi (Japan)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seeing how things are going with the Olympics gymnastics so far. Lets vote who will probably win......and tell why you think she will win

Heres their qualifying scores too
Li Shanshan (China) 16.125
Nastia Liukin (USA) 15.975
Shawn Johnson (USA) 15.975
Cheng Fei (China) 15.875
Anna Pavlova (Russia) 15.825
Ksenia Afanasyeva (Russia) 15.775
Gabriela Dragoi (Romania) 15.450
Koko Tsurumi (Japan) 15.425

Myself I kind of think Cheng Fei will win to make her feel better after bombing on floor-I want Shawn to win but I dont think they will gift her like they do the Chinese. Esp if the judges want to leave the country without a problem;) I'm kidding......kind of:(

Last edited:
Hmm. As much as I would love for Shawn to win, I don't see it happening. Not only was her qualifying score lower than Li's, but her style of gymnastics has not been regarded very highly at these Olympics. Cheng Fei will either rock it or tank it, no middle ground. Nastia's kind of on a roll, though she does have the 'world champ curse'( Cheng on vault, Shawn on floor and AA). I desperately want Anna Pavlova to do well-she's having quite the rotten Olympic experience(with Alicia-like performances in TF, a mental block at VF, and a fall in FF), but I don't know if she'll be able to put all that aside. Li Shanshan may very well be gifted, though I haven't looked at an order of late. Honestly, I think the order could end up being a factor, as I believe it was in floor finals. And half of me wants Koko Tsurumi to stick it everyone! Though that is highly unlikely, it would be insanely cool.

1.Cheng
2.Dragoi
3.Afanasyeva
4.Shanshan
5.Pavlova
6.Johnson
7.Liukin
8.Tsurumi

Got it!

Now that that's settled, I will revise a few of my ideas. Cheng Fei will not win. She may actually crack even more under the pressure. Shanshan will not be able to be gifted as much being in the first half. Pavlova's got a decent spot, though will have to follow up whatever Shanshan has done. Shawn's before Nastia-probably doesn't bode well for her. And Koko may or may not end up with a stellar opportunity. Did you know she's the first woman from Japan to qualify for event finals?

I'm surprised to see how many people have Shawn winning. I don't think it's in the cards on this event unless others have mistakes. I can't see Nastia hitting and getting scored lower than Shawn. I would love to see Shawn win a gold, I just...don't see it happening here.

I agree with gymdog...the judges just don't seem to like Shawn's "style", I guess. They are more willing to deduct for her than for others who may be comparable. Her overall impression with the judges is not helping her out.

I think that it's too bad, though...I like her dynamic style and her overall consistency and focus is impressive!! She does need to stick her landings though...:eek:

I really hope Shawn can medal in this event, she really just got unlucky on the floor and AA with the two gold medalists having the performances of their lives, while she still did great, she still could have done better. I think if they do the AA competition 10 times she would win gold 6 times, thats how consitently great she is. Maybe she will get lucky on beam, because she is my absolute FAVORITE to watch on beam. But alas the judges don't like her style, maybe if she can someone make it to London things will have changed.

I think it will be:

1. Liukin
2. Pavlova
3. Johnson

The reason being, because Nastia was sooooo close to gold on bars, Pavlova is so pissed at getting a zero on vault she wants to redeam herself, and Shawn, because although she doesn't have the difficulty, she wants to go out with a bang!!! I think the chinese will crumble.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
I'm going out on a limb here with a dark horse........................

China!

Anyone from China will win this event.

I would love to see Shawn win it. I know Nastia is graceful, but Shawn just always seems solid on this event and blows my breath away everytime I watch her on the beam.

Its ok, lol, I accidently ruined the floor for myself multiple times. I really wish Shawn had gotten gold on that, I think if they had given the last girl a slightly lower score it still would have been a fair. Oh well.

I really really hope Shawn gets gold on beam even though I know how small the chances are. Nastia has had a good enough olympics, I think Shawn really deserves a gold for her overall performance throughout prelims to now, she has done to good to not return without one. But oh well.

Also they really need to change judging in the sport. Bad. If they could figure out a way to get computers to do it, I think that would be ideal. Or maybe if they had to state the deductions and then could use instant replay to determain scores as evidence and maybe the gymnasts could challenge or something. That would atleast make it a litte more fair. Also I think you should have to do a routine a few different times and then average your score. That way consistency counts as well, and your really find out who is the best. Because one routine really doesn't cut it imo.

I agree lemonsnap that the judging needs to be changed. Your post reminded me of that skating movie called Ice Princess. It's about a girl who is really into physics who videotapes the skaters and applies laws of physics to the jumps and technique to help them skate better... If there was some way to record the gymnasts routines and then let the computer score it--that would take away most of the bias and incompetency in judging. But, I don't see it happening. I don't know...something has got to be done, though...

Last edited:
I am soooooo Happy that Shawn won. I had actually heard on the radio - they did not advise of the upcoming spoiler alert :mad:. But I just had to watch. I cried like a baby - DH thought I had lost my mind :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back