Parents Why did you enroll your child in gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
When your child first started gymnastics, why did you decide to enroll him/her?

parent and tot class

I enrolled my dtr in a parent and tot class for socialization (hers) and viewed it as a structured play group.

I enrolled my dtr in a parent and tot class for socialization (hers) and viewed it as a structured play group.

That's great...I haven't heard many people say that. Parent socialization is also important in a parent and tot class, but I hate it when people forget that the kids always come first.

Oops, I'm sorry...I didn't realize my kid was on the other side of the gym?!?:eek:

My kids got into gymnastics through a friend. Her 6 yo daughter was in preteam (now a Level 4 gymnast) and her 4 yo in beginner gymnastics. I had wanted to enroll my then 4 yr old in gymnastics because she has always been interested in flipping and rolling. When my friend suggested that the girls could do beginners together (and we could carpool), I decided it would be a great way for my daughter to have some fun. As it turned out, my friend's 4 yo quit and we kept going. My now 5 yo daughter is now in preteam. My 8 yo son got into gymnastics once my daughter was in it. He's now in preteam too. I don't know if he'll keep on with it as he lacks strength and doesn't really have the desire to work hard to gain it. My daughter likely will compete for at least a few years, and maybe longer. I will also say that it was only really on my radar screen at all because my husband's sister and brother both were college gymnasts.

Bonding time at the gym

When we started I thought my dtr would meet some children. She was two at the time, however, I soon realized that there really wasn't anytime in class for her to meet any other kids. Instead we bonded and had a great time together! We still go to open gym when we can and just play on the equipment. We have brought my 7 year old son with us and we all have a blast! :) Cheaper than the movies and great when it is too snowy and cold to play outside.

My daughter was 6. She was having trouble in school we had her pediatrician run tests on her and found she has ADHD. She stopped in the middle of her physical and asked if she was in gymnastics. I said no and asked her why, she said she was as strong and as coordinated as her patients that were gymnasts. She said she should be since she'd be good at it and children with ADHD need to find something that they are good at along with learning how to channel their energy. She loves it and we can't believe the confidence and determination she has gained. As for her school work she went from failing everything to a straight A student in 2 weeks with medication and gymnastics.:)

My odctor told my parents that I was extremely flexible and would do well with gymnastics or dance. We decided on gymnastics, and to try dance later. Well, I like gym too much and only ended taking one poms class when I was seven. I've now been doing gym for 10 years.

I guess I could answer for myself. My Mom put me in gymnastics off and on when I was little. Once I got a little older, one of the boys team coaches moved me up and that was it.

My Mom used to be a P.E. teacher, so fitness and sports are very important to her.

My oldest daughter was trying to do the splits. She had been stretching daily for several months and was still struggling with it. My youngest daughter asked her what she was doing, oldest daughter explained what the splits were. My youngest daughter said, I can do that. She jumped up in the air in the splits and landed in the perfect split. She then did the middle and both side splits perfectly. She was two years old.

My oldest shook her head and never tried again!

I enrolled my youngest in gymnastics!

Gymmom

My daughter was 6. She was having trouble in school we had her pediatrician run tests on her and found she has ADHD. She stopped in the middle of her physical and asked if she was in gymnastics. I said no and asked her why, she said she was as strong and as coordinated as her patients that were gymnasts. She said she should be since she'd be good at it and children with ADHD need to find something that they are good at along with learning how to channel their energy. She loves it and we can't believe the confidence and determination she has gained. As for her school work she went from failing everything to a straight A student in 2 weeks with medication and gymnastics.:)

What great advice your doctor gave you. We have many parents who come in for their evaluation and think that telling us their child has ADHD will make us turn them away. And we want just the opposite, Gymnastics can quickly boost self confidence which in turn changes a childs attitude toward everything. It is very important that if your child has been diagnosed with anything communicate with their coach before class, different things work for different children. If you know certain tricks that work to keep your child on task let the coach know, and they will in turn share what works for them over time as well. We always say we want the children with extra energy, as a coach I would much rather have the student that is so excited they cant stand in line than the one who comes to class too tired to do anything.

We always say we want the children with extra energy, as a coach I would much rather have the student that is so excited they cant stand in line than the one who comes to class too tired to do anything.

I usually try to tell the coach if there's a change with her meds or anything. But I worry about her being a distraction to the other kids if her meds wear off during practice. I guess I don't want to be the one with "the kid thats all over the place." Last time that happened where her meds wore off during practice some of the other parents were like "wow she's like a totally different person" :confused: She was going around picking up the bigger and older girls in line and twirling them around :eek: (it was bedlam):eek: I don't think it counted as weight training:p

Coaches really appreciate that kind of information. Always be aware of side effects of certain medications, too. Some medications cause the gymnast to be dizzy or cloudy...which can be dangerous. Always talk to your doctor about these kind of situations. I went on medication for seizures when I was 17, it really threw me off until it was regulated properly. I am on the medication for life now...but in the beginning it was hard.

My parents enrolled me in gymnastics when I was 5 because I was doing round-offs down a slide at the playground.

bringing back an old thread

This thread was before my CB time, but I enjoyed it.

We put DD in gym because she would climb anything and swing off anything and I wanted her to be able to do that in a controlled enviroment so she would not kill herself. :D

When my dd was 5 all of her friends starting doing dance. My dd was extremely shy and introverted and I knew there was no way she was going to put on a tutu and get up on a stage at the end of the year and do a recital. I put her in one of those little gyms - no team or anything. A year later she was bored and had been to a birthday party at a real gym and asked if she could go there. Once there she took off and just loved it. I think it is really funny though - I originally picked gymnastics because I thought she was too shy to get up on stage and perform with a bunch of girls - now she goes out in a leo and competes all by herself in front of a bunch of people. Didn't see that one coming!!!

flipmonkeysmom - my dd was incredibly shy too. she broke out of it some before gym. now that she has been at this gym for 2 yrs she has really come out of her shell and loves to make people laugh. She always has her coach laughing.

flipmonkeysmom - my dd was incredibly shy too. she broke out of it some before gym. now that she has been at this gym for 2 yrs she has really come out of her shell and loves to make people laugh. She always has her coach laughing.

That is funny - mine is now the one who is always making people laugh too!! Maybe the shy ones are actually closet comedians. Don't you just love the confidence gymnastics gave them though!! My dd is still really shy in school and stuff - but when she is at gym she just beams and is so happy.

That is funny - mine is now the one who is always making people laugh too!! Maybe the shy ones are actually closet comedians. Don't you just love the confidence gymnastics gave them though!! My dd is still really shy in school and stuff - but when she is at gym she just beams and is so happy.

my dd is exactly the same. I sent her teacher a picture of her and one of her best friends (also in her class) and she sent back that it seems that dd is very silly at home but at school she is very quite and reserved !! She is a clown at home and at the gym, at school it is all rules are meant to be followed (doesn't seem to have that attitude @ home LOL ).

Sounds like they are made of the same mold. How old is your dd? mine is 7, will be 8 this summer.

My oldest decided she wanted her 4th birthday party at the nearby gymnastics school. We did, and after the party, she asked if she could do gymnastis so we signed her up. That was 7 yrs ago..... and of course, by the time little DD was old enough to toddle into the gym, off she went!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back