Why do people compete more in long sleeves?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlekateskate

Just curious. But it seems for competitions everyone is always in a long sleeved leotard. In skating its the opposite they were sleeveless. Partially because of sweating and ruining the look :)

Is it considered more formal or something.

Actually I would disagree that most skaters wear sleeveless dresses for competition. Depends on the skater, the music etc.., but really the majority wear long sleeves. As for gymnastics, it gives the girls a nicer "line"---same concept as skating. Yes, in a way the long sleeve leos usually look nicer/more expensive than the tank style. They can compete in a tank style leo---no rule against it.

I don't really know anything about skating. In gymnastics the real reason mainly seems to be because it just is that way and we're a fickle bunch from what we can see. ;) Half kidding. I don't mind the look of long sleeve leos, but I don't think it necessarily is more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I think the cut of some sleeveless leos is more flattering, but I guess the long sleeve does kind of look more formal and just seems more "right." I don't think of the line as that much nicer but I'm guess I'm just not really into that whole game of "will this pattern emphasize bent arms more" etc. I HATE it when the upper body/arms of a long sleeve leo are baggy though, it looks horrible to me. I'd much rather see sleeveless.

I'm seeing more and more sleeveless here, it was pretty typical for level 4 teams, now I see gyms with their entire compulsory program in sleeveless. Now I can't think off the top of my head of any of the bigger gyms having the optional programs go completely sleeveless, but I can think of a couple that get a "warm up" leo and then wear it for some entire meets but they still have a long sleeve leo and wear that at others. That seems to be the more common situation right now.

I have even seen College Gym Meets w/ the entire team in a sleeveless/tank leo (It was the Cal Bears Women's Gym Team). They looked good!

I noticed that Alicia Sacramone wears a three-quarter sleeve on many of her leos. My daughter likes to push up her long sleeves into a three-quarter look. Does anyone know if that would generate any kind of deduction?

Not really, although the bunched up look bothers me and I wouldn't really want a gymnast doing it. I don't mind 3/4 sleeves that are meant to be 3/4 (and are currently quite popular) as long as it is smooth and not bunched. They would in all likelihood tell you to fix it before applying a direct apparel deduction anyway, but I wouldn't want it to detract from the gymnast's overall appearance and performance.

At DDs gym, the compulsory girls compete in sleeveless and the optional girls are a similar leo, but long sleeve. I love the long sleeve look.

I think it is just to be different from the practice leo's - and as others have said, more formal.

Our coaches like the more formal look of the long sleeve suits. At some of our meets there are clubs with short sleeved, especially in the developmental evaluations (ages 4-11). They are usually a short sleeved version of the team ones.

According to the new FIG guidelines gymnasts can wear a body suit that covers them from their ankles to there necks! Imagine how warm that would be.

More traditional...better lines...looks better. Our level 4 team wears tank leotards in order to keep the cost down. Levels 5-10 wear 3/4 length.

I dislike the look of tank leos for competition. They're so informal; it's like the kids just walked in for another practice. I like the formality and seriousness that a long sleeve leo brings. Like the kids have come to compete. It shows a certain respect for the sport and the judges. Lines look better and longer, too, so it's partially aestetic.

No deduction for pushed up sleeves. Sometimes sleeves have to be pushed up for bars to get grips on.

I dislike the look of tank leos for competition. They're so informal; it's like the kids just walked in for another practice. I like the formality and seriousness that a long sleeve leo brings. Like the kids have come to compete. It shows a certain respect for the sport and the judges. Lines look better and longer, too, so it's partially aestetic.

No deduction for pushed up sleeves. Sometimes sleeves have to be pushed up for bars to get grips on.

I agree. The long sleeved leos look like they're taking the competition seriously. Our girls also have matching warm ups, Crocs and gymbags, too. It really says we're together, we're a team, we're serious and we're here to perform.

Totally agree! I feel all pumped up for a meet when I put on the long sleeves!

I just feel restricted LOL I can't even explain my hatred of when the neckline is all...too close. It just touches *shudders* and I have to keep obsessively pulling it away.

Gymnasts wear long-sleeve leotards to elongate the arm line and hide bent elbows. 3/4 sleeves or full length sleeves achieve the same effect.

It is common to wear a tank leotard for elite compulsory meets and for young children at L4 and below but that is a personal choice.

Gymnasts wear tank leotards at the ranch (camp, national top testing) because it is hot.

Skaters wear long sleeve leotards for the same reason = to elongate the arm lines, but to help more with artistry as bent arms aren't the same deduction as in gymnastics where it is huge. Skaters wear tan skates on occasion to elongate their leg line as well.

I prefer long sleeve leos also. They just look more formal and like your going out to compete. Next season our club is going from short sleeve competition leotards to long sleeve ones and I'm super excited. I never really liked the short sleeved ones we have now :p lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back