Parents Why does our gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Out of curiosity what would the deduction be? We compete in Chicago where girls regularly get high 37s and even 38s and the sessions can be huge. Sometimes even a 9.4 won’t place!

Text errors are taken on the routine as a whole up to a max of 0.4. So, it depends on how many there are in the routine I would say.

Out of curiosity what would the deduction be? We compete in Chicago where girls regularly get high 37s and even 38s and the sessions can be huge. Sometimes even a 9.4 won’t place!

Still not worth it. Literally put it out of your mind. There is no good way to proceed here. You can always leave now if you aren't happy with the quality of the training. I would recommend that if you feel like it's toxic for your daughter. But on the matter you described there's really no good way to proceed. Just consider the meets an introduction to competing for your daughter and prepare her that a lot of gymnasts there may be more experienced and she is use trying to meet her personal goals. And then be happy for her that she got out there and accomplished something.

Still not worth it. Literally put it out of your mind. There is no good way to proceed here. You can always leave now if you aren't happy with the quality of the training. I would recommend that if you feel like it's toxic for your daughter. But on the matter you described there's really no good way to proceed. Just consider the meets an introduction to competing for your daughter and prepare her that a lot of gymnasts there may be more experienced and she is use trying to meet her personal goals. And then be happy for her that she got out there and accomplished something.

I will be doing as advised but what is so heart breaking is that she is actually good enough to place and if all goes well will probably come home with a medal or two....

I am waiting on the other gym to come up with a plan for her, whether that is xcel silver or just training level 4. I think once that plan is more in place I will be able to relax and ride out these last two months.

Last week one of the coaches left an hour early so the other coach was left with 20 girls....he gave them 30 minutes of free time which is not good for my 6 year old! It was extremely dangerous!

@Peachy88 I just want to say and I mean this with the best intentions. If the current gym's training is not to your liking leave asap. Find a gym that you value and that values your child. Also, remember that gymnastics is a long body and mind crushing sport. If your DD is still competing as a level 10 years from now the scores she obtained in compulsory gymnastics will mean nothing. Do not push your daughter to win or place but instead ask her to enjoy her sport while doing her best every day. Best of luck to you

@Peachy88 I just want to say and I mean this with the best intentions. If the current gym's training is not to your liking leave asap. Find a gym that you value and that values your child. Also, remember that gymnastics is a long body and mind crushing sport. If your DD is still competing as a level 10 years from now the scores she obtained in compulsory gymnastics will mean nothing. Do not push your daughter to win or place but instead ask her to enjoy her sport while doing her best every day. Best of luck to you

I know I know......

If you feel that the gym is dangerous, or toxic in any way, then get her out of there now. If it's just not the best training ever, then deal with it for the two months you have left until you leave. A year from now these two months will seem like a blip on the radar.

If you feel that the gym is dangerous, or toxic in any way, then get her out of there now. If it's just not the best training ever, then deal with it for the two months you have left until you leave. A year from now these two months will seem like a blip on the radar.

This is so spot on. Don't go CGM at age 6, level 3. And while it is fun to get medals at this age, it is also a good age to learn that you don't always win, even for reasons outside of your control. Switch gyms when the time is appropriate but it is not worth going to the coach on this one.

I will be doing as advised but what is so heart breaking is that she is actually good enough to place and if all goes well will probably come home with a medal or two....

If you are hoping your DD has a long career in this crazy sport you may want to re-think how you talk about medals. Sure medals are lots of fun but you can be an accomplished athlete and not have as much hardware to show for it. I would avoid associating 'good enough' and 'heart break' with a lack of medals. My DD is always in the oldest age groups and most meets she will bring home at least one medal. She has a couple of teammates who are younger and consistently score higher but they don't have as much hardware to show for their efforts because of the age groupings. It is what it is.

You've shared enough here where I think I know what gym you are going to in R4. Your DD will be in the youngest age group which will still be quite competitive especially when you are competing in bigger meets with a regional or statewide draw. I'm in the same region as you and there's a mix of big town, smaller town, and rural gyms. I can usually tell how my DD will do based on the other teams at the meet. My DD's 2nd place in one meet will be 10th at another. It's the effort shown that I'm most excited about.

This is so spot on. Don't go CGM at age 6, level 3. And while it is fun to get medals at this age, it is also a good age to learn that you don't always win, even for reasons outside of your control. Switch gyms when the time is appropriate but it is not worth going to the coach on this one.
This. Please try and lighten up. Said kindly: you have shown so much stress about your child’s sport on here, and she is only just beginning the process. If you want her to last in this sport, you really need to take a breath and relax. Just let it go unless you truly feel it is an unsafe environment. Let it go and know that the most important thing is she loves the sport and enjoys what she is doing. She will be at the other gym soon enough.

I think I am just not good with my words. I just want to be clear that these are not conversations I am having with her about medals. I don’t care if she gets a medal but i feel bad for her and her teammates that some of that is not their fault. It is hard when you have never seen your kid in a win lose situation before either. How will she react? No clue but you can bet we’re going to stress her courage to get up there and trying her best and being a good teammate.

I also wanted to add that I had a few posts in the past when I discussed my daredevil child and her not making good, safe, or smart choices.

Well at the new gym it is a nonissue. She makes zero bad choices, stays focused, works hard, and is thriving. It is amazing what a good gym can do! Best part, she even comments on the change and says she loves the structure.

I love how the coach has been preparing her for the level 4 vault. Dangling the opportunity to go over the table once she gets the components right. She does a dirty dancing move where the coach catches her and then kicks to handstand and it is almost like the coach throws her down to prepare her for the force of the landing. Next practice she gets to go over after weeks of this prep along with handstand flat backs and many straight jumps!

She still gets a little distracted when girls are doing floor and she is on beam, but can bring it right back in. She’s 6 and it looks cool, I get it!

Anyhow, often we think it’s the kids, but the environment makes a huge difference!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back