Parents Why don’t parents protest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow a lot of you are all very lucky you are not dance parents. You choose a sport your child is interested in and you have to understand that there are costs involved. You do not have to agree with it. You can even choose to leave. But 90 percent of the time if you communicate with your coaches that you are struggling financially or even if you find another option that all parents are happy with coaches will run with it. Coaches aren’t there to take your money. All they want to do is be able to cover the cost they spend and sometimes plus some for their time and effort. I agree if all parents band together to find a better or cheaper option then a coach would most likely agree with it because a coach doesn’t want to either put up with a bunch of winging parents. Or spend most of their time answering emails about costs of leotards

Maybe gyms and coaches need to remember that sports should be for all and gymnastics should not be an elitist sport that only the rich can afford. And it's ridiculous that compulsory leotards and "gear" cost more than a BMW car payment when there are MORE than reasonable options otherwise.

You choose a sport your child is interested in and you have to understand that there are costs involved. You do not have to agree with it. You can even choose to leave. But 90 percent of the time if you communicate with your coaches that you are struggling financially or even if you find another option that all parents are happy with coaches will run with it. Coaches aren’t there to take your money. All they want to do is be able to cover the cost they spend and sometimes plus some for their time and effort. I agree if all parents band together to find a better or cheaper option then a coach would most likely agree with it because a coach doesn’t want to either put up with a bunch of winging parents. Or spend most of their time answering emails about costs of leotards
I think your 90% claim may be too high.
As I have said, our coach IS cost conscious. However, a couple years ago, we had the chance (when we needed to get new leotards anyways) to get COMPLETELY custom leotards. I even had a sample made. We could have gotten them for less than our current leotard (the only custom part of the current leotard is the team colors). All but 1 girl that saw the sample wanted it to be our team leotard. We did change colors a little after the sample was made (Black and some shade of blue had been our colors and we went to navy and gun metal gray), but we could have changed out the black for either Navy or Gun Metal and substituted the other color for the blue for the same price. The 1 girl that didn't like it was just not happy with the BRAND. And, of course, her family has money ... so being cost conscious never occurs to her.
The coach only showed the sample to a few of the optionals (and none of them were small enough to try on the sample), but a bunch of the other girls saw it when I brought it in. We did NOT go with it even though it would save $20 per leotard and technically never be discontinued since it was a custom design from the beginning.

At our gym, the optionals leo cost parents $170-we use them for 2 years, but are thinking about keeping it longer. We reuse warm ups for years, so many times, parents can by a used jacket that is 1/2 cost. If not, a new one is $85. Black capris on the bottom, of the gymnast's choice-most choose to buy GK brand that is sold in pro shop. Compulsory kids have a leo that cost $65 (tank leo with a nice amount of blingy sequins). We are on the lower end of "uniform costs" and try to stay that way. They aren't picky about bags either, but all of the girls that have been around for the last two years have a matching backpack with their name on it that was bought for a great price as a "state meet" gift that was paid for by parents.

Our coach wanted all of the boys to have matching converse. A couple of the boys got them but it wasn't a big deal if they didn't have them- they just wanted them to look "cool". (yes we have very young coaches- lol!)
Of all the shoe choices, Converse are such a pain to pit on and take off!

Oh one hundred percent agree. And I certainly agree with If parents want to get together to find an alternative option if coaches hand out invoices for expensive uniforms. I just don’t agree with the fact that coaches are out to make money and have the most expensive outfit. They want their gymnasts to look and feel special and in some circumstances stand out from the crowd by being in the same outfit head to toe. But that may be a coach wanting something different for their gymnasts. If parents display concern about cost with that I’m sure they’d be happy to come to an agreement.
Our gym absolutely makes a profit on all required uniform items. A required team tshirt and State team tshirt at $30 apiece at over 100 kids is just the tip of the iceberg. Buy it for 10 sell it for $30, $20 profit for tshirt. Presto, $4000 profit for gym on two tshirt orders. The kids wear the state shirt the day of the State meet (making the warmups they never wear to warm up or the podium unnecessary). The other tshirt is just another tshirt.
To be honest, the whole gymnastics culture is centered around unecessary expenses. Inflated meet fees so the gymnast can get a "free" eotard or other gift. Major travel expenses to fly across the country for what are just regular meets for relatively low level gymnasts, when there are good meets closer to home. Awards for 50 % of athletes in each event. It is fun and all, but alot of it is really unnecessary until you reach a high level of gymnastics. And it makes JO gymnastics unreachable for many people.

Of all the shoe choices, Converse are such a pain to pit on and take off!
100%

My YDD has to wear converse for hip-hop performances, and she absolutely abhors them. She wear actual hip-hop dance sneakers for classes/rehearsals but apparently they don’t look cool enough for performances. Those shoes are such a waste of money (and they were cheap too, lol).

To be honest, the whole gymnastics culture is centered around unecessary expenses. Inflated meet fees so the gymnast can get a "free" eotard or other gift. Major travel expenses to fly across the country for what are just regular meets for relatively low level gymnasts, when there are good meets closer to home. Awards for 50 % of athletes in each event. It is fun and all, but alot of it is really unnecessary until you reach a high level of gymnastics. And it makes JO gymnastics unreachable for many people.

My daughter’s gym does a great job of keeping apparel and competition expenses down, but the inflated meet fees and “freebies” drive me nuts. Last year I donated three of the four “free” meet leos after a single wear because they were uncomfortable. It is all financially and environmentally wasteful. The only meet leos we ever keep are the Plums from one particular meet, which I would happily purchase separately because my daughter loves them.

My only problem with the argument about meet leos is that there has never been an appreciable difference in meet fees between meets that offer a leo, a T-shirt, a drawstring bag, or no gift at all (save a little party-type goodie bag). Shouldn’t a meet without an expensive “gift” be cheaper?

My only problem with the argument about meet leos is that there has never been an appreciable difference in meet fees between meets that offer a leo, a T-shirt, a drawstring bag, or no gift at all (save a little party-type goodie bag). Shouldn’t a meet without an expensive “gift” be cheaper?
That is what I love about our YMCA district ... Regular meets have no SWAG and they get ribbons instead of medals / trophies ... $15 per meet. Championships, they get medals and a participation trophy ... $35.
Even Y Nationals is only $100 - 120, depending on level ... and they get medals / trophies and SWAG including (usually) a drawstring bag, a t-shirt, and some other goodies ... one year, it included a blanket that folded up and velcro closed and had a handle ... this year, it included a foam seat cushion and every year it is something cool. PLUS this meet fee includes an Opening Ceremony with an Olympic style March in and speeches and activities and food.

There are so many factors that weigh into the equation. We try to keep our meet fees lower than those that we know offer a leotard. But, the leotards price to the hosting gym is based on how many are purchased. A huge meet gets a HUGE discount vs the few hundred gymnasts at a meet - like almost half the price (we've looked into it). Other factors are the facility and equipment rentals. One set up of equipment, rented for a 2 day meet this year is $7000. The price is insane. So, these smaller meets (300-600 range) might not be significantly cheaper but the flip side is, if all of the smaller meets disappear, the travel time/expense would go up because there would be less meets in an area. I would love to do away with the gymnast gift BUT it's like keeping up with the Jones' and trying to put on a nice meet that people will want to come back to! We typically try to keep meet gifts less than $10. Sometimes we can find something awesome for less and other times we spend up to the $10...ya just never know what you can find each year that is unique, the girls will like and appeal to the 5 year old and the teenager.

There are so many factors that weigh into the equation. We try to keep our meet fees lower than those that we know offer a leotard. But, the leotards price to the hosting gym is based on how many are purchased. A huge meet gets a HUGE discount vs the few hundred gymnasts at a meet - like almost half the price (we've looked into it). Other factors are the facility and equipment rentals. One set up of equipment, rented for a 2 day meet this year is $7000. The price is insane. So, these smaller meets (300-600 range) might not be significantly cheaper but the flip side is, if all of the smaller meets disappear, the travel time/expense would go up because there would be less meets in an area. I would love to do away with the gymnast gift BUT it's like keeping up with the Jones' and trying to put on a nice meet that people will want to come back to! We typically try to keep meet gifts less than $10. Sometimes we can find something awesome for less and other times we spend up to the $10...ya just never know what you can find each year that is unique, the girls will like and appeal to the 5 year old and the teenager.
The keeping up with the jones is the whole problem, I think. For a small meet, why rent equipment? Just host it in the gym- that’s where all the small meets we’ve attended have been. No equipment or facilities rentals required- still doesn’t lower the costs in our experience.

The keeping up with the jones is the whole problem, I think. For a small meet, why rent equipment? Just host it in the gym- that’s where all the small meets we’ve attended have been. No equipment or facilities rentals required- still doesn’t lower the costs in our experience.
In our area, only the really really small meets are hosted in a gym. The biggest issue is seating/viewing, parking and bathrooms. We did it once. The sessions were so small and the number of kids we could host wasn’t worth the profit made for a weekend of parents’ time. We did have one larger meet we attended each year as low level compulsory,hosted at a gym. It was a decent sized gym but the viewing was awful, the parking had us walking from a near by strip mall and the gymnast entry fee was similar to those that rent out facilities and equipment. By the time I started helping plan our gym’s meet, I was livid at how much they were making off of us - especially since going to it was a painful and long, packed like sardines 4 hour experience.

In my experience the small meets hosted in a gym tend to have entry fees at least $25 less than the big meets in a rented space. In our state, meets held in a gym don't charge spectator fees, which saves at least another $20 - 30 for two parents.

In my experience the small meets hosted in a gym tend to have entry fees at least $25 less than the big meets in a rented space. In our state, meets held in a gym don't charge spectator fees, which saves at least another $20 - 30 for two parents.
We’ve been to a single meet (last year) that didn’t charge spectator fees, and it was a very welcome change! It’s so rare though, at least for us.

You have to rent the scoring equipment and sometimes the PA system. Something to play the music on and someone to play it, and someone to run the meet (meet director). It all adds up. Meets are the biggest fundraiser of the year for the hosting gym.

You have to rent the scoring equipment and sometimes the PA system. Something to play the music on and someone to play it, and someone to run the meet (meet director). It all adds up. Meets are the biggest fundraiser of the year for the hosting gym.
Our parent organization (all volunteer) runs all the meets hosted by our gym with the exception of Judges Cup. That's generally 4 meets a year on average. Even the meets held in our own gym, where we can run two flights at the same time, still have a significant overhead, including paying judges, hospitality for the judges and coaches, medals/ribbons for the athletes, fronting all of the snack bar costs (try having a meet where there's no food - even a small one). Our meets are our biggest fundraisers, and our organization's fundraisers ensure that more kids can participate because the bulk of our money goes to subsidizing athlete assessments and costs. I pay half of what I've paid at other gyms for my daughter's assessments, as a direct result of these meets, among the other fundraising we do all year long.

I guess for me I see it as contributing to the athletes at whoever is hosting the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back