Why is it so hard to find a gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I am 26 years old and would very much like to get back into gymnastics, but I cannot find a gym that accepts adults! One told me it was due to insurance reasons. I found one gym that has one class that allows adults into it (with kids too of course) but all it is tumbling and trampoline and it is only 1 hour per week! I want to train all the events again! I noticed this isn't such a problem outside of the US but of course I live in the US. Why is gymnastics considered such a kids sport? I am very bummed out :( Actually I am trying the tumbling/trampoline class for the first time tomorrow but I am worried that with only 1 hour a week they won't be accomplishing much in the way of skills and I want to do more than cartwheels and back walkovers, so I guess I will see. Luckily the first class is free so I am not committed or anything yet.

Aerialriver

It can be very frustrating to try to find a gym. I called over 30 clubs before I found one! Don't give up looking for a training situation, because its SO much fun if you can find a good one. You might have better luck finding open workouts to get into, and even if you would rather have instruction, if you can get to know the staff they may be more willing to help you get into a class. Best of luck!

Its just in the US because of their different insurance. Here in Australia it is the same to insure adults as kids so basically every single gym offers an adults class. There is even one gym that is only for adults and it offers adult only classes 7 days a week and they are doing amazing bunisness..

Well I had my first class tonight, and it went okay. It is a little below my level as far as the trampoline is concerned and they are working at level 4 right now and the coach said that is where it would stay until everybody was ready to move on, so that kind of sucks because I guess you don't get to work at your full potential. But it was a good work out and I don't think I was the oldest person in class so I think I will sign up and keep going.

Aerialriver

i hope it keeps going well! at least it's fun to do while you're searching for a better place to go. like gina (gikigirl) said, get to know the staff, and sometimes forming those kind of relationships can get you into other things... private instruction, teams, etc. good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back