Why only 2 All - Arounds from each country

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't like it either. Aly worked her butt off, and deserves to compete, but so does Jordyn. If they went by overall scores, like the Olympic trials, that makes a lot more sense to me. Take the top 20-30 gymnasts, no matter the country, to compete for AA gold. That way if you get a medal, you know you competed with the best of the best.

My question is since when did sports take up this whole "fairness" thing? I thought they were about working hard to be the best so you can win!! I own a rec gym and we do not compete in order to fill the void for those kids, but if you ARE competing it is a win or lose event. Not about being fair to everyone. It should be the top 24 no matter what country they come from. Especially in the Olympics!! If other countries have a problem with it because they never have anyone up for the All-Around then they should train harder to be a contender! Just very sad that a gymnast that gets 4th in qualifying round does not get to compete because of a ridiculous rule like this!

I don't necessarily agree with the rule, I agree it should be the top 24 no matter where they come from but this isn't getting us anywhere. Aly and Gabby worked equally hard as Jordyn, they all deserve the opportunity.
I like Jordyn's moms outlook, that yes the rule is stupid, but it is what it is and we can't change that. She also says that everything happens for a reason, we might not know the reason know but I think it will all work out in the end. Fans should not be more upset about it then her own mother, I am sure she is upset but nothing can be done but accept it.
Here are her moms thoughts about it:
Blessings.... - Gym Mom

I think someone should set up a petition for this. You know, like that online petition that was started for Chellsie Memmel about trials. I would... but I have no idea how :eek:

Not only were people upset when Romania swept the podium, but before that, the Eastern Bloc totally dominated. I mean, completely utterly dominated.

They set limits bc that was "not fair".

Now the limits are "not fair".

No matter what you do, someone is going to find it not fair. You can't please everyone.

*actually likes the 2/country rule, likes seeing athletes who we never eeven hear of competing on the big stage. Even if they aren't medal threats, that's a Big Deal. It's interesting to wonder what those athletes would have been able to do with training like we have, or other gymnastics powerhouses*

Thanks Goofy, for explaining the situation. I am tired of hearing and reading about how upset people are for Jordan (even my hairdresser) when there is a real reason for the rule. I even remember having the US shut out and not have a chance for medals.

Its sad that Jordyn missed but for Aly its a much deseerved reward. Aly, is so supportive of her teammates and has clearly worked hard to clean up her form. Aly could hav given up on bars but she kept with it that's great for young gymnasts to see.

Jordyn's personality and style leave me wanting more. She is solid and powerful but not charming or dynamic. I just wish Jordyn had a little more zing. Then I feel bad for not cheering for her harder. She is a great accomplished athlete, just not my fovorite gymnast.

I'm really pleased for Aly. She just does her thing, keeps on keepin' on. Girl has a work ethic like woah, & I'm glad to see her being rewarded for her athleticism, even if she isn't a media darling.

Jordyn's personality and style leave me wanting more. She is solid and powerful but not charming or dynamic. I just wish Jordyn had a little more zing. Then I feel bad for not cheering for her harder. She is a great accomplished athlete, just not my fovorite gymnast.
I feel like Jordyn is 'safe' - consistent and solid, but not amazing. I don't mean that to sound dismissive, as she's obviously a great gymnast, but I never feel like she's going to really uncork something amazing.

Definitely not fair at all. I can understand it better with the event finals, because only 8 compete. But 24 gymnasts get to compete in all around! If they are going to limit it, limit it to 3. I also think it's crazy to say that the US could/should have kept Aly off bars so Jordyn could make AA finals. Who was put up on what event was chosen to make the TEAM stronger. It would make no sense to keep a gymnast off an event they can contribute on, potentially harming the team score, so their teammate has a better chance of making AA. I highly doubt the coaches expected Jordyn to be the 3rd on the team during qualifying.

Regardless, it is absolutely ridiculous for the gymnast who finished FOURTH all around in the prelims to not be able to compete in finals on a technicality. Like others have said, if I were in the finals and got a medal I would doubt whether or not I deserved the placement I got without one of the top gymnasts competing. This rule really needs to be re-examined. No one in the top ten during qualifying should be left out of finals.

~Katy

No fair!

Definitely not fair at all.. . if I were in the finals and got a medal I would doubt whether or not I deserved the placement I got without one of the top gymnasts competing.
~Katy

PLEASE tell me of an elite gymnastics competition that is "fair" to everyone. The US could have fielded two teams that could have medaled. Is it "fair" that our "B" team could not come to compete. What about the Russians that did not make the team? Is it "fair" that Gabby could not win the American Cup because she was only competing exhibition even though she got the highest score? Every elite gymnastic competion has rules and someone will say that they are not "fair". Every sport has rules that are not "fair". If they make it 3 AA what if Kyla had done AA and come in 4th overall, then it would not be "fair" to her. Then the US sweeps the medals and other countries say they did not have a chance because the US has better training facilities and it is not "fair".

Also if you won a medal in the individual AA finals woudd you REALLY doubt that you deserved it? Or would you say, that you worked hard for it, performed your best and hey look, here is a silver medal but so and so was not in the competition so it does not really count. Really? Is that what your parents would say? What about your coach?

I don't think Aly should hav been left off of bars for Jordyn. I also don't think everyone should have assumed that Jordyn would make it. Aly has been close to Jordyn in the AA for years and worked incredibly hard on her weaknesses. It was always possible that she did would pass Jo during a meet. She just did it on a huge stage. Aly earned that spot I am so sick of hearing "poor Jordyn". She ws great just not great enough according to the rules that have been in place for ten years.

Olympics is not about fair ... it is encouraging the countries to come together in friendship and celebrate sport. It's a festival.

If it looks like a single country is going to be dominant in a sport for a long time, they just take the whole sport out of the games. Look, it's no fun to have that kind of thing at a party year after year.

My husband told me (no idea if it is true or not and I'm too lazy to research it right now) that the Chinese were sick of having no competition at ping pong so they actually sent some coaches and athletes off to other countries and started initiatives to build up ping pong internationally. They still dominate in any case and no one here cares much about ping pong anymore because it is no fun to always win, there's no drama. Diving is starting to get to be the same way. No one, eventually not even the sweeping countries themselves, like it when one country always sweeps the medals.

I see the point of the per-country rule too. 2 might be a bit harsh, I could see three. Or, I could see letting the top ten get an automatic spot. But I do think you have to limit it somehow, in the spirit of good sportsmanship.

I too am growing a little weary of the Jordyn talk....especially in the media. I think Aly deserves a little bit of focus now. I know that some say Jordyn was underscored, etc. But the bottom line is that Aly worked her TAIL off! She deserves some accolades. She didn't steal Jordyn's spot....she earned her own spot.

I love that no one cared about this rule until it affected the US. Time to move on and root on Aly and Gabby.

Even more amusing is the US was totally for this rule when it was introduced. They were tired of a few countries dominating the podium. Being the underdog sucks. Being on top sucks. But sometimes you have to be careful what you lobby for.

But the nice thing about the media focussing all it's attention on Jordy is it relieves the pressure on Gabby and Aly so they can relax a little.

Well I miss the 7,6,5 format myself because more athletes have a chance to compete every four years. With this format, it was about opening up spots for other countries who can't field a team and so on. It also stems from the year the Romanians swept the AA podium. The FIG and other organizations didn't want one country taking over and blah, blah, blah....it should be about competition. If Jordyn can make peace with it to come back the way she did in the team final then people need to let it go. She will survive. It reminds me of Michelle Kwan in figure skating when she said one time that no matter what happened in competition the world still turned and life went on. Jordyn will make it. She's a survivor.

Personally, I'm a little concerned about Aly landing on her neck in the final warm-up on FX. I know she is probably just fine but that always scares the pee out of me. I remember Sang Lan from the '97 Goodwill Games. Wicked scary.

Let's not forget that Kerri Strugg missed out on the 1992 Olympic AA because she was 4th behind Kim Zmeskal. People missed out when it was 3-per-country too. The ONLY reason this was made into a big deal in the media is because Jordyn was the reigning World Champion. If Aly had missed out, I don't think people would have said much at all. Yes, it's disappointing, but not worth all the fuss that was made. A top 24 AA Final would be great. It would be like Olympic diving, where the top 18 divers make it out of prelims and then the top 12 out of semis. It doesn't matter what country you're from, if you come in 19th in prelims or 13th in semis, your competition is over. The eventual 2012 Olympic Champion in men's platform finished 18th in prelims; until the last dive of the meet, it wasn't certain whether he was going to make it to the semis. And the reigning Olympic Champion in men's platform finished 13th so he didn't get to dive in the finals.

you'll all laugh, but it has to do not only with 1 country domination (other gymnasts from other countries that qualified thru the Olympic testing event in January might not get seen and the Olympics is to show the world...not 1 or 2) but with television also.

television is behind several of these policies. and the FIG receives money from television thru rights. why do you think you seldom see coaches on the podium at a world cup event?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back