Coaches Why training 3 consecutive days and taking 4 off will not work!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

herrmannt

Coach
I run a gymnastic program through a YMCA. We are a very small program. I only have classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We share the gym with a cheerleading program. They are wanting to change days so we can only have practices on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Can someone please give me some scientific facts on why this will not work for team girls and possibly some links to articles that I can show to my bosses? I know going to this schedule will be detrimental to my program. I just need to show people who do not have any knowledge of gymnastics that this is not just me being stubborn. We compete USAG and only practice 9 hrs per week. The highest levels I have right now are working level 7 skills. We have been competing USAG for 2 years. So far we have been very competitive while training very few hours. I want to keep it that way! Please Help!

It's not ideal...but I wouldn't be too worried about 3 days in a row from a training standpoint...it's manageable.

Things to think about...

• At both of the gyms that I have worked at...Fridays have not been great for recreational classes.
  • Meets are on the weekend. During a meet week you would train Thursday...Friday...and then compete that weekend.
  • I could handle 3 days in a row...but I would try to get Mon/Tues/Wed...or Tues/Wed/Thurs.

I think you'll see a balance of pros and cons, except for the times they have meets on Saturdays, and the occasional 3 day weekend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back