WAG Will new seniors be eligible for 2021 olympics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
With the olympics postponed, I wonder if this means a new class of elites will now be age eligible? To whom might this apply?

So many things to ponder and speculate on these days!

My initial gut reaction is that they should not be. Those athletes turning 16 were never planning for the 2020 Olympics. It's not like something is being taken away from them. Something COULD however, be taken away from an athlete that would have qualified in 2020 but gets bumped out by a newly turned 16 athlete in 2021. I understand that this is an extremely nuanced situation and isn't black and white. I don't know what the "right" answer is, but that's where my heart is at the moment. Pretty much just sucks all the way around.

So far it’s looking like a no, which makes sense if they are going to still host the games as Tokyo 2020.

[/URL]
4133678D-DF77-4844-8E75-A3D53EB21B20.jpeg

However it will be really weird seeing new seniors at Europeans, then them not allowed at Tokyo in the summer. My feeling is they should let the new Seniors in . Because a percentage of the 2020 seniors will retire/ injure out. So if they don't there will be a further depleted field at the top level. Following from the nonsense of 4 person teams and the plus 1 stupidity / qualifying rules I think it will be a poorer games without them. Konnor McLain anyone?

I also think they should use the new code. FIG should spent this time they have without competitions to finalize and bring out the new code early. If they bring it out by July everyone could start planning towards it now in their training plans and routine construction and be ready to go. I'm so ready to see the end of multiple squat turns on beam. Yawn.

One interesting thought I just had about the Olympics moving to 2021 - this gives Laurie more time to make her move.... that could be interesting.

Spencer thinks the new seniors shouldn't be allowed and they should use the old code:

10,000+ Athletes compete from around the world... how many are 16...?
WAG is almost unique in this regard... other sports...?
How many 15 year old athletes even have a chance across the world to change the makeup of their country's roster in all sports...? maybe 100...?
another poster stated that some current seniors may retire / injure out... very possible
my first thought was 16 is 16, let new seniors compete...
I realize that this is a life's work being debated and the inevitable outcome is that some athletes will make teams they should not have "Glory" while others miss their window "Agony"
From a fans perspective, the fun debate is really what current Juniors actually have a chance to crack the top 4 / 5 for Tokyo...? The field was already stacked...
I would love to hear who might make it...
I wish them all well...;)

Konnor McClain would have a shot, in my opinion. However, I don’t think they will change the age restrictions, because they are calling it Tokyo 2020, and some athletes have already qualified in other sports. I think they will try to keep it the same.

10,000+ Athletes compete from around the world... how many are 16...?
WAG is almost unique in this regard... other sports...?
How many 15 year old athletes even have a chance across the world to change the makeup of their country's roster in all sports...? maybe 100...?

Every sport sets their own age limits. Some sports have no age requirement including swimming; I believe an 11 year old and a 12 year old qualified for Tokyo in skateboarding. Divers must turn 14 in the year of the Games; boxing 18 but not older than 40; gymnastics and track&field must turn 16 in the year of the Games.

Every sport sets their own age limits. Some sports have no age requirement including swimming; I believe an 11 year old and a 12 year old qualified for Tokyo in skateboarding. Divers must turn 14 in the year of the Games; boxing 18 but not older than 40; gymnastics and track&field must turn 16 in the year of the Games.

MAG have to be 18.

I think this will affect very few countries. Most of us have a relatively small pool of talent available, a new gymnast turning 16 isn’t going to take the spot of a more experienced gymnast, if they come into the team all they will really be doing is helping us field a team at all.

I IOC may make one call, and the US may make their own inside desicion.

Konnor McClain would have a shot, in my opinion. However, I don’t think they will change the age restrictions, because they are calling it Tokyo 2020, and some athletes have already qualified in other sports. I think they will try to keep it the same.
I find myself wondering if they will keep it a grey area for awhile. With sports where this makes a difference, who knows what the call will be? It’s all crazy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back