Parents Will work for Skittles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DbacksMom75

Proud Parent
DD came home from practice Monday and tells me "If I get my mill circle I get skittles..." Then on Wednesday she comes home and says "If I get my BHS I get skittles". I asked her where she was getting the skittles from...her coach is using them as incentive to get her skills. My first though was wow she's easy, but now I am thinking...is she always going to expect candy after doing a skill? Is this the best idea? Does anyone else have coaches that use candy as a reward?
DH thinks its hilarious and wants to make her a leo that says "Will work for Skittles" on it.

Liz
:nurse:

Wow, I am a bit surprised that the coach would use candy as a reward. I have heard of stickers, ringing bells etc. I wouldn't want it for my kids, but hubby is a dentist.

I know with little ones incentives are nice, but candy,hmmmm?

I think it's cute! Some may say it's sending the wrong message. But to me it doesn't sound like it's just about Skittles. Coach is trying to be fun, creative, encouraging & reward hard work. Nothing wrong with any of that in my book! Best thing is....it's working! Just hope DD doesn't decide to up the ante..."will work for $100 bucks", LOL!!! I know coaches have bribed my DD along the way. She has her own "drive" too. She's not dependent on bribes to motivate her. Some time it's just fun to have that type of incentive. I think the leo would be a hoot!

I think it's cute! Some may say it's sending the wrong message. But to me it doesn't sound like it's just about Skittles. Coach is trying to be fun, creative, encouraging & reward hard work. Nothing wrong with any of that in my book! Best thing is....it's working! Just hope DD doesn't decide to up the ante..."will work for $100 bucks", LOL!!! I know coaches have bribed my DD along the way. She has her own "drive" too. She's not dependent on bribes to motivate her. Some time it's just fun to have that type of incentive. I think the leo would be a hoot!

Speaking of big bucks (lol)

I had a level 4 girl back in the day who was *thisclose* to getting her kip. Just a flick of the wrists away! After workout, she wanted to show her parents how close she was. When her parents saw, her mom laughed and said 'Maybe she'd do it for $5, it got her to wash the dishes last night!' So, in the moment, I was like 'OMGosh! I have $1!!' I went and got it, and slid it into one of the chain links thats part of the chain off to the side. I told her she could have it if she got her kip in 5 tries. She was determined, but didn't make it. She laughed really hard, and her parents were cheering her on with all the stuff she could get for a dollar. (candy mostly lol)

When she got it around a week later, she asked if she could have the dollar. I said no way!

It made the try for a kip pretty silly and relaxed. Of course it was a heat of the moment, funny at the time thing. No bar I've worked with has seen a dollar since!

That's a nice story Linsul. I feel so bad for the coaches sometimes. I know they get frustrated with gymmies that are so close to a skill or have fear & just won't go for a skill. I give those energetic, creative coaches a lot of credit for trying to find what motivates a particular gymmie. To me it shows that the coach really cares. So here's to you coaches who go the extra mile:proposetoast:

The older girls get pizza parties. The younger girls are just happy they got a sticker or a piece of candy. LOL, your daughter is too cute:)

I use stickers and certificates and occasionally will give candy.. But nothing on a regular basis. Tonight was pizza.. I have 18 level 7s and one broke her finger in the growth plate 8 weeks ago requiring a pin put in for few weeks then removed. Amy has been coming to every practice and conditioning and cheering everyone on. She has been getting depressed watching everyone get their skills and really worried its been taking so long for the dr to give the ok. Her mom confided she is scared she will be too far behind to catch up especially on bars. Yesterday he finally gave it and she jumped up on the bars to try a giant. She was no where near it but the girls cheered anyway. Of course I said when Amy gets her giants that willbe all 18 of you and we will have a pizza party. Everytime she took a turn the girls cheered and within 10 minutes she made 3 by herself. So today was pizza but well worth it!:eek:

That's a nice story Linsul. I feel so bad for the coaches sometimes. I know they get frustrated with gymmies that are so close to a skill or have fear & just won't go for a skill. I give those energetic, creative coaches a lot of credit for trying to find what motivates a particular gymmie. To me it shows that the coach really cares. So here's to you coaches who go the extra mile:proposetoast:

TY :) It can be frustrating sometimes, but that can be channeled into something funny if you flip the script! When the girl in the story was starting to come down on herself a bit, she knew how close she was, I said 'No you don't, I CAN SPOT YOU WITH 1 FINGER ON YOUR BACK! Everything about your kip is gorgeous but that tiny wrist flick back on top, and every time you attempt it I hold my breath because I know if you don't get it that time it could absolutely be the next try and I need to be prepared to scream and freak out!' She asked me which finger, and though she didn't get the dollar, she did draw a big black 'X' on the fingernail of that finger after she got her kip and informed me that it was 'out of a job' lol!! She got the last laugh, it was drawn with a stinkin' sharpie!

I use stickers and certificates and occasionally will give candy.. But nothing on a regular basis. Tonight was pizza.. I have 18 level 7s and one broke her finger in the growth plate 8 weeks ago requiring a pin put in for few weeks then removed. Amy has been coming to every practice and conditioning and cheering everyone on. She has been getting depressed watching everyone get their skills and really worried its been taking so long for the dr to give the ok. Her mom confided she is scared she will be too far behind to catch up especially on bars. Yesterday he finally gave it and she jumped up on the bars to try a giant. She was no where near it but the girls cheered anyway. Of course I said when Amy gets her giants that willbe all 18 of you and we will have a pizza party. Everytime she took a turn the girls cheered and within 10 minutes she made 3 by herself. So today was pizza but well worth it!:eek:

Yay those are the best stories, good for her! Her team too :) We had a pizza party where the girls made pizza once...they tried to dye the cheese the gym colors with food coloring...I don't recommend it lol!

That is cute about the skittles, but mine was one of the stories that Mariposmomma mentioned, my DD would not jump to high bar b/c the piece of candy was not worth it to her LOL.

Now, my oldest, she will work for Abercrombie, Hollister, iPod, laptop :D but I told her she is crazy!

DD's coach doesn't really use candy as a reward. What she will do is use training a higher skill the reward for getting a current level one. So since Dani got her front hip circle on bars (the last Level 4 skill she needed) she is able to work on "squat ons" or some Level 5 skills. That is a big motivator for dd and the girls since it is something new for them.

Those are such cute stories!!! I love them! I sooo love the idea of getting a t-shirt made that says " I work for Skittles"--what a conversation pice that would be!!!

Our gym does not really do anything like that for 'a skill' . They do stop everyone in the gym so all can watch.

What they do that I like is that when a new batch of Leo's come in (for sale) HC will ask each team girl who they think deserves to win a free leo (always gives 100%, always comes to practice, positive attitude ......) The one with the most votes gets the new Leo of their choice.

Our gym does not really do anything like that for 'a skill' . They do stop everyone in the gym so all can watch.

What they do that I like is that when a new batch of Leo's come in (for sale) HC will ask each team girl who they think deserves to win a free leo (always gives 100%, always comes to practice, positive attitude ......) The one with the most votes gets the new Leo of their choice.

I LOVE this idea!!! That's awesome!!!

As a hygienist, I cringed when I read your post.

I'm not against awarding a piece of candy occasionally- but do not favor using candy as an ongoing "reward" system.

As other posters have mentioned, there are so many other suitable options.

I like the pizza party idea- making the effort to step away from the equipment to enjoy a meal together not only makes them feel like they were rewarded for their efforts but it also, in my humble opinion, fosters team spirit and unity.

And I'm not completely ogre-ish with my kids- they enjoy the occasional lolly as much as the next one- they just have to brush after!:)

Our gym have gym dollars once they earn 100 they get a free leo_One of the new coaches have been doing stickers with our girls on the beam ,the other day my dd earned 4 then she had do go to floor she was to worried about loosing the stickers and kept forgetting her routine.At L3 one of there coaches told them if they all got 9's on the beam they would get a pizza party.

Our gym does a reward sort of like this but the coaches vote, not the girls. And the reward is to be "Stretch Queen" for the week. They choose one girl from each level to sit in front, facing the other girls, and lead the stretches for the week. The girls all clap and cheer for the ones who are chosen. They seem to like it.

Our gym does a reward sort of like this but the coaches vote, not the girls. And the reward is to be "Stretch Queen" for the week. They choose one girl from each level to sit in front, facing the other girls, and lead the stretches for the week. The girls all clap and cheer for the ones who are chosen. They seem to like it.

This never worked for my dd - she HATED to have to do that. She is not one to get up in front of people like that.

I have to be honest- as I was reading through this post all I could think was, yum skittles, I could go for some skittles right now :D

Honestly, there is not much I wouldn't do for Skittles! DD's gym occasionally offers treats for learning skills. Usually they get one M&M, the younger girls love it. The older girls think it's kind of silly, but still remind the coach if he/she forgets to hand them out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back