Off Topic winter formal!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymnastRaeRae87

at my school we have a winter formal dance (its in february) and i am so excited!
the theme is "deep sea soiree" but essentially it is under the sea but elegant. it is going to be so fun and so pretty! i am so excited! february 7th!!

do you guys have that at your school?

We had a winter ball, which we usually don't, but Invisible Children put it on, and we raised $2,200. We do have our anual Sadie Hawkin's in February though.

Winter formal is awesome, I'm glad it's still around! I'm going to drop some old fogey dress advice really quick. If you live near 1 or 2 malls or serious shopping places, using out of town meets to dress shop is GREAT. I did that accidentally for Jr. prom because my mom is was in super multi task mode in San Francisco one year. I thought she was crazy and trying to do too much (shopping to her is pointless if you don't try on 9776573456 articles of clothing). When I got to the dance though I saw a bunch of girls in the same dress, and even more in the short version of it. A rare teenaged moment of mom logic making sense lol.

I also hated dress shopping because it was hard to find something that fit right. San Francisco is where I fell in love with backless dresses. I don't know if halter cuts are still insanely popular, but I never liked them on me. Nobody can rock a backless dress like someone who spends their free time in the gym! It's freezing outside, so don't forget your jacket!

We have a Freshman-Sophmore dance in February and the Juniors and Seniors have a winter ball around then too. I feel bad for them though, the decorations are recycled water bottles! I don't think we're actually sending them to get recycled. I think the art club at my school is going to make icicles or something with them. haha

We had a ceilidh before Christmas that we all got dolled up for. Its where you do traditional country dances and stuff, but no one actually knows how to do them...

Mix with a lot of alcohol and mental sixteen/seventeen year olds and you get a lot of fun LOL.

Its so cool you get balls! Its just like in the movies!

Everyone is going to look so slick and sadie's this year! The theme is "a black and white affair". My dress is this black vintage fringe thing that I'm wearing with a yellow and white polka dotted headband.

Sadie Hawkin's Dance, named after a woman associated with the women's rights movement. It's where the girls ask the guys, instead of the other way around.

Yes, but this is the one dance where the guys are by all means FORBIDDEN to do the asking.

That's interesting. A lot of our dancing is really inappropriate, and practically everyone does it. That's why I'm always extremely careful about who I ask/say yes to. I don't want to participate in disgusting vulgar moves.

That's interesting. A lot of our dancing is really inappropriate, and practically everyone does it. That's why I'm always extremely careful about who I ask/say yes to. I don't want to participate in disgusting vulgar moves.

At my school the teachers come around and tell you to leave room for the Holy Spirit between you and some come around and thrust Bibles between you.

At my school the teachers come around and tell you to leave room for the Holy Spirit between you and some come around and thrust Bibles between you.
Forgive me, but that is hilarious.

I have some friends in their mid-twenties to their thirties who remember this, and they look back on it in peals of laughter.

LMAO! Funniest thing EVER!
I wish we could dance normally- we have to do crappy old fashioned social dancing like the Dashing White Sergeant, Canadian Barn Dance, Strip the Willow (great fun btw), St Bernard's Walzt and the Gay Gordons, and its not exactly raving...

Our school goes crazy. There are always certain songs that actually get turned off because of all the moshing/jumping all over the place.

my dress is purple with a silk ribbon (about 3 or 4 inches) and it ties in the back...the neckline is hard to explain its not straight but not boat its like two little hills kinda haha...but im super excited! it's kinda funny because my boyfriend and one of our best friends are dressing opposite of each other hahaha. my boyfriend is wearing a black shirt and a purple tie and the other guy is wearing a purple shirt and black tie. hahaha.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back