Off Topic wisdom teeth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlegiant

So...I have to get my wisdom teeth out this week :( I am terrified. Can anyone tell me their experiences with getting their wisdom teeth out? Oh, and did you get laughing gas or an IV?

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband is a dentist and he says you'll be fine. You will experience some swelling and tenderness for the few days afterwards. You'll need to stock up on the ice cream and jello, nice cold food. Advil is good to help with the pain and swelling too.

As for the pain relief during talk to your dentist, explain exactly what you want and they should recommend what is best for you.

Not much else to add.....

People make it out to be worse than it actually is. Don't worry you will be fine! For me people were like "haha, that's gonna be horrible", but really it was not that bad at all!!

Like bog said, stock up on cold and soft food like icecream and popsicles. I chopped up the popsicles into small peices and let them melt in my mouth..haha it became an addiction i think.
Right after I got mine out (on the drive home) I ate a mcFlurry from MacDonalds and it felt so good...the dentist normally tells you to eat soon after.

- my one friend didn't eat much after she got hers out and she got all weak and it took longer to recover, so make sure you eat!
- Make sure you take the pain medications as soon as your last dose runs out (at least for the first day), or it will obviously hurt more.
- I came off the T3's by the third day (ish) then I just took regular advil...but you will have to decide for yourself for this

Don't stress, it's all good. Listen to the dentists though, they will tell you everything you need to know.

...I had a little bit of both (laughing gas and an IV)

I took a pill that morning-- I'm not sure what it's called, but I was pretty out of it-- and probably had some novacain as well. I remember walking into the office, waking up in the middle with my dentist's hands in my mouth, and then asking to keep my teeth for my scrapbook at the end. It wasn't very painful at all; I had more problems with not being able to open my mouth all the way. Just make sure that you ice a lot the first day and don't spit or use a straw. Ice cream makes me sick, so I had a lot of lukewarm mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. I was back in the gym about 4 days later and probably could have gone back the 2nd or 3rd day if it hadn't been a weekend.

I was put to sleep for removing mine. I never even felt the top ones after, just the bottom. I was given a hardcore pain killer, my mom actually cut them in half. We call prescription painkillers 'goofballs' to this day over that! Apparently they made me pretty wacky! NO straws, don't play with that rule! I had some swelling, but nothing major. Ice off and on, no hard foods, and make sure to use the water pik thingy they give you to keep the sockets from turning into snack storage! That part is pretty gross, but hey gotta keep it clean.

I've had six fillings and three teeth out, and honestly, you'll be fine. :) You can get jags that numb that bit of your mouth too, or go on the magic carpet LOL. And I had sensitive teeth for the next couple of days. And a lisp.

A bit OT, but why have you all had your wisdom teeth taken out? Are they meant to come out?

A bit OT, but why have you all had your wisdom teeth taken out? Are they meant to come out?

In my case they were hurting and jamming my other teeth together when they came through. I had braces at the time and my parents didn't want to undo all the orthodontic work! I've heard that for some people they don't surface or cause them pain or trouble with existing teeth. Those people generally live with them as I understand it. One of my mom's friends had hers still and cracked a molar so badly it was taken out. The wisdom tooth just was guided into place or something, talk about a cheap dental fix lol!

Thanks, I was worrying I had to plan a trip to the dentist, my mum would kill me because she has to pay for me now :p.

I must live in some sort of evolutionary black hole, I don't know anyone without them!

Ahem, Scotland! LOLOLOL

You know here in Quebec there is no free dental care, kids uptil 9 can have one free check up a year, that's it. We often joke that it'd be cheaper to fly back to the UK and see a dentist there, three kids could be pricey, thank goodness Daddy is the dentist.

So...I have to get my wisdom teeth out this week :( I am terrified. Can anyone tell me their experiences with getting their wisdom teeth out? Oh, and did you get laughing gas or an IV?

I got mine out when I was 16. It was seriously easy...no swelling, off painkillers in 2 days, eating real food on the third day. I had an IV, and only had 3 to take out to begin with.

I got the IV drip. I was in the dentist's office, then I was told "You're done. Here's a script for happy pills."

(fun fact: I saw Team America: World Police that night. STILL not funny.)

Ahem, Scotland! LOLOLOL

You know here in Quebec there is no free dental care, kids uptil 9 can have one free check up a year, that's it.

That was low, bogwoppit. Uncalled for! Ahknowtonsapeoplethaturdeadsmartneverythin.

Seriously though, my family would be in serious debt, we are permanently at the dentist :D. Mum doesn't actually need to pay for me till I leave school.

PS. Do you guys not have free doctors and stuff either?

Some people do not get wisdom teeth. They are proven to be an evolutionary thing. The more evolved of us just do not have them. I have all four of mine, they were no problem, clearly I am not very evolved!!!

haha don't worry, i guess I'm not either!
This is so funny though we are doing evolution in bio and the whole evolutionary evolved people who don't have wisdom teeth thing just came up yesterday!
Well aren't THEY lucky.

Nothing is free in america. I'm glad too, because if we had universal health care, our taxes would shoot way up. Many companies offer insurance at a discounted rate, though. For my family, we pay $10 when we go to the doctor and $50 when we go to the ER.

That was low, bogwoppit. Uncalled for! Ahknowtonsapeoplethaturdeadsmartneverythin.

Seriously though, my family would be in serious debt, we are permanently at the dentist :D. Mum doesn't actually need to pay for me till I leave school.

PS. Do you guys not have free doctors and stuff either?

We have a health care system that is very similar to yours in the UK, the only tough thing in Quebec is that it is nearly impossible to find a family doctor. If I want to see my own doctor I have to call on the 21st of the month to get an appointment in two months time. If I am sick I have to go to a walk in clinic, wait for hours to see some doctor who doesn't even know me. My kids are in the same situation, their Doctor is an hour away and it is rare that they can see him when they are sick. We often end up at the hospital for stuff that we just need to see a doctor for.

I still have my GP back in Manchester, we joke that it's be quicker for me to fly back and see him than to see a doctor here.

No private health care here to speak of, you can get MRI's if you pay, but no BUPA or any of that stuff.

Have all your teeth well cared for before you leave school, it certainly is pricey after that.

We recently did the math for taxes. My husband and I paid a little over $7,000 for health insurance this year. What's sad is our insurance is pretty good, but there's better. It seems weird to pay even more so you can live in fear of potential sickness rather than spend the money on healthy necessities. I read somewhere that Chinese family doctors get paid very well, but only as long as they keep the family healthy. Can't confirm truth to that, but it makes sense to me!

In other news, my husband has a wisdom tooth for a molar! I was telling him he's a cro-magnon for having wisdom teeth (pot, meet kettle) when he told me. Apparently one of his baby molars decided to try and take up permanent residence. His permanent tooth beneath reacted by turning sideways. It never bothered him or bulged or anything, but it made the tooth useless. So they yanked both teeth out and his wisdom tooth took it's place when he was 17. Bodies are freaky and amazing I swear.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back