with 2013 level changes affect college scholarship potentials?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
With the new level changes in 2013 for compulsory levels, I'm assuming this will change the optional levels as well. What are your thoughts on whether this will change which girls the colleges will look at for scholarships. Will they begin to look at the new 8-10's or will they continue to just look at 9-10's? Does anyone know if they are planning on making 10 harder or just allowing another level in between 7-10 to make the transition between levels less challenging?

USAG levels will not change what colleges are looking for. Level 10 will still be Level 10 in the new system.

Do you think it will effect the number of girls who make it to 10? Or make it to 10 in time to catch the eye of college recruiters? I realize that the skills are the same, but if the gym already has a "1 year per level" mindset, it could conceivably take girls an extra year to get there. Or do you think that, by the time they reach the higher level optionals, the girls who really are Div. I material, at a gym that knows how to train college atheletes, will be doing what they need to do regardless of the numbers?

I don't think it will change a thing... some gyms are already scoring girls out at the compulsory levels, using prep op (or Excel) as a bridge, whatever. I think the same number of girls will end up dropping out, so no, I don' think anything will change, other than the competition mind-set of parents.

I agree. There's also a variety of different college gym options for the wide variety and skill level of girls. The top 10 schools (Bama, Utah, UCLA, UGA, etc.) will still only take elites and high level 10s. Most D 1 schools will still only take L 9 and L 10s. D II and D III will remain the more flexible option for girls who didn't get as far into optionals. But even with the system now there isn't a lot of money for gym scholarships at the higher level, so if you're not elite you really have to be placing at Nationals to receive one. Academic scholarships are still also a possibility for girls at D II and D III at lower gym levels. So yep I don't think much will change at all. I think the JO levels change will have the biggest effect on the parents, followed by younger girls at lower levels. It won't change gym that much for high school age girls IMO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back