Wolf turns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Beam was really hard on execution. A lot of beam E scores reflect pausing and amplitude as far as I can tell. I mean girls like Ragan were getting 8.8 E scores so it's easy to see comparatively to that how Jrs were getting 6s and 7s.

Reactions: sce
It's hard to do it on floor because you basically have to push off your leg and it can't hang freely like the beam so there has to be some bending and flexing. How good it turns out depends on how straight their core stays. A couple girls did it really well today.

In all seriousness, it is a really cool turn. It's very unique compared to other types of pirouettes/turns. The reason I don't like it is because it is way too overused. I understand the reasoning behind it, because it is a fairly high valued turn that is "safe." However, it is killing artistry. When I see Brenna Dowell's front tuck beam mount, or Alyssa Baumann's many creative multiple turning pirouettes, I am really impressed because these are elements that are really not seen much anymore. It is quite sad. It's all about that D score nowadays. :mad:

In all seriousness, it is a really cool turn. It's very unique compared to other types of pirouettes/turns. The reason I don't like it is because it is way too overused. I understand the reasoning behind it, because it is a fairly high valued turn that is "safe." However, it is killing artistry. When I see Brenna Dowell's front tuck beam mount, or Alyssa Baumann's many creative multiple turning pirouettes, I am really impressed because these are elements that are really not seen much anymore. It is quite sad. It's all about that D score nowadays. :mad:
It is interesting that you say this, because my DD picked up on just this, and said, mommy I would want my turns and mounts to be different so they would be remembered!

I remember watching Sarah Finnegan (I think that's who it was) do the wolf turn on beam and floor beautifully 3 years ago at Visa Championships. I think she actually did a triple. She did it beautifully and I don't remember seeing any other gymnasts doing it and I thought it was amazing, but yeah, now it seems everyone does it and most do not do it well.

It is interesting that you say this, because my DD picked up on just this, and said, mommy I would want my turns and mounts to be different so they would be remembered!

They want to not fall off on their mount and have a high enough D score to win :)

Once this is devalued or they make more rules regarding successful completion the use will be diminished.

Right now it's worth it. Also not really new. Terin Humphrey did it ten years ago (more!) on beam. The use of it is just increasing because more coaches were learning how to train it and the values are high enough to make it an attractive option.

I remember watching Sarah Finnegan (I think that's who it was) do the wolf turn on beam and floor beautifully 3 years ago at Visa Championships. I think she actually did a triple. She did it beautifully and I don't remember seeing any other gymnasts doing it and I thought it was amazing, but yeah, now it seems everyone does it and most do not do it well.

Yes, it was her. She actually tweeted about how overused it is yesterday!

It strikes me that the wolf turn is becoming like the Russian on PH. Lots of D, especially if you can crank it around multiple times, but a lot of people do it poorly because they think they have to and take more deductions than it is worth.

However, an ugly wolf turn is uglier than an ugly Russian. And ugly Russians are UGLY!

They want to not fall off on their mount and have a high enough D score to win :)

Once this is devalued or they make more rules regarding successful completion the use will be diminished.

Right now it's worth it. Also not really new. Terin Humphrey did it ten years ago (more!) on beam. The use of it is just increasing because more coaches were learning how to train it and the values are high enough to make it an attractive option.
I had no idea about any of this, but when I explained it to my child, she still opted for being different. I liked this, honestly.

It's going to start coming out in JO more after Congress this year. Live demonstration training with national team staff in a packed Tammy Biggs session.

It's going to start coming out in JO more after Congress this year. Live demonstration training with national team staff in a packed Tammy Biggs session.
I was there for that. It was interesting and Tammy Biggs is great. That's also how I learned why they choose to use this turn. I might teach it to some of my girls... maybe...

What is the deduction on floor if they fall/roll out of it. Before I'd read this thread I saw some seriously dodgy 'finishing' of that skill.

Reactions: sce
Even my DD groaned when she saw these-it just isn't a likeable skill to an 8 yo ;). I heard other moms around us CB'ers?) complaining about them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back