Women's Individual AA Final (spoiler)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't see what's so bad about ties. Other sports have them, so why not just let two people on the podium. With the new code it seems like ties would be a lot less likely anyhow, since you have to have two scores to work with.

Anyone else think China's kips are clunky? Their glide seems so short and the pull onto the bar seems like so much effort for them! :/

On another cute note one of my today was starting her vaults like one of the men (not sure who possibly Japanese?) in the AA yesterday did, by lining up her arms infront of her before vaulting! Funny how kids pick things up :)

Anyone else think China's kips are clunky? Their glide seems so short and the pull onto the bar seems like so much effort for them! :/

On another cute note one of my today was starting her vaults like one of the men (not sure who possibly Japanese?) in the AA yesterday did, by lining up her arms infront of her before vaulting! Funny how kids pick things up :)

I totally agree about China's bars, they seem to be stunted.

As to the Kohei vault line up arms, that is too funny. I am sure coaches will be seeing some funny stuff over the next few days! Hopefully the Russian crying and sulky face on coming second is not one of them!

Coming into the discussion late, but totally agree about Viktoria Komova. Yes, she had beautiful bars and floor, and yes I fully understand that she was disappointed, but there is a time and a place for that. Could she not even smile while they're putting a medal around her neck? It thought she was very rude. I figured the 10 minutes before the ceremony would help her collect herself, but she had a cranky/bored look on the medal stand and for pictures. Plenty of time to pout later on. She'd never be able to handle some of the questioning the U.S. girls got with the in-your-face interviewers after qualification. Jordyn was so classy, even with the tears.

Also - I don't know what ad-blocking software my husband has installed, but I didn't get a SINGLE ad.

USA gymnastics (on FB) said the tiebreaker is the sum of the highest 3 events, lowest score thrown out. That doesn't seem fair! Ally had consistent scores but no WOW score, Mustifina had a low beam score that got thrown out.

From the FIG about the tiebreaker. It is the sum of the highest three event scores.

I just read that, I am surprised. Martha Karolyi said that there is talk of doing away with the tie breaking at the next Olympics, talk of starting to award quarter points. I am not sure what she means, I thought they already did. Heres the quote from the AP feed:

U.S. national team coordinator Martha Karolyi said she expects the sanctioning body to change the rules in the future.
"You should award a medal for both gymnasts," she said. "But rules are rules. I'm suspecting they will be taking away the tie-break for the next (Olympic cycle)."
How would that happen? Karolyi said there has been talk about awarding quarter points, which would make ties less likely.

I'm just amazed there was a tie in a system going out to thousandths of a point and so much variation between the routines...I'm not usually one to overthink things, but it makes me wonder.

Forgive me for not knowing this, but why are there tie breaking procedures in Olympic gymnastics? Is it an FIG rule or someone else's rule? Other sports allow for shared placements and more than 3 medals at the Olympics, so why not gymnastics? And since when? There was a tie for bronze in the 1996 Olympic AA and it was fine. What is so wrong with ties? If the judges see fit to give two gymnasts the same score, I think they should both get that placement and if it's in the top three, both gymnasts should get the same medal.

I heard that it is a USOC rule. All judged sports must have tie breakers. Sports like track and swimming have no way of making a tie break rule so they can award multiple medals. If they did allow ties, how many spare medals would officials have to keep at each venue?

Is there anywhere on the medal or the ribbon that says what event the medal represents?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back