Parents Won’t quit-but heart isn’t in it either

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Butterfly

Proud Parent
My second grader has been competing Xcel Silver this year (last year level 3 and year prior level 2). She changed gyms to a rec league per her request.
In recent months she has resisted going to practice for the first time in her life, and started saying things like she just doesn’t like gymnastics as much anymore. She even asked if she could just go to meets and skip practices lol!
She doesn’t do any extra stretching and if I’ve ever said hey while you are watching this movie you could work on your split she gets mad. In years past I couldn’t get her to stop doing handstands and cartwheels in my living room.
When I say it sounds like it might be time to move on from gymnastics—she says “NOOOO!”
She has gotten and lost her backhand spring several times. It’s like she just likes it enough to kinda sorta do a bit of work, but doesn’t do anything to get better.
Has anyone been in this situation before? I almost feel like she wants me to make the decision for her—but I’m not 100% sure.

My daughter is now 13 and a L6. She doesn't do any extra stretching or conditioning at home and never has. She should as flexibility is a weakness but she won't do it. I wouldn't consider working on gym skills at home a measure of motivation as my daughter is highly motivated to continue in the sport...she just won't put in the extra effort at home. We have gone through phases of her wanting to quit or I would get the sense that she thought she could just go to meets and skip practices. You may want to see if you can figure out why she doesn't want to go to practice. Most of the time when my daughter would go through these phases, she was typically having trouble at practice - adjusting to a new coach who was tougher, adjusting to harder conditioning. She tried to get out of practice a lot when she started L3 and had to do conditioning with the older girls. All of the phases passed and she has persevered. I have seen a big change in her maturity and attitude towards practice but this did not happen until age 13. There are less hours in Xcel...I wonder if your daughter feels like she isn't improving and so is losing a bit of interest. As the skills get harder, fears set in too and some kids seem to start to dislike the pressure to get skills and it leads to them quitting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back