Parents Woodward questions re. schedule and training groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sminty

Proud Parent
DD is going to Woodward West for the first time this summer. I'm trying to figure our the daily schedule but am confused by their materials. Can anyone tell me if there are one or two instruction sessions? If two, are they both mandatory? And how many "open gym" sessions? Are coaches present there too?

Separately, I know they get assessed the first day and divided into level groups. How big is each group and how wide is the skill range? Do they make an effort to keep friends together (even if not exactly matched skill-wise)?

My dd went to the one in PA a few times. They had only one mandatory session - it was first thing in the morning. They actually had three sessions you could attend. One was in the evening.

They get assessed the first day and its basically - can you do a free hip or giant. Something like that. Then they put you in groups.
All the times my dd went her coaches were always there so if any of the kids were put in the wrong group which it happened they were able to get them switched.

DD is going to Woodward West for the first time this summer. I'm trying to figure our the daily schedule but am confused by their materials. Can anyone tell me if there are one or two instruction sessions? If two, are they both mandatory? And how many "open gym" sessions? Are coaches present there too?

Separately, I know they get assessed the first day and divided into level groups. How big is each group and how wide is the skill range? Do they make an effort to keep friends together (even if not exactly matched skill-wise)?

I also only have experience with dd at Woodward PA. She travels with her team and has 1 Woodward practice, 1 team practice and one “open” gym (but pretty much mandatory by our coaches for our upper-level team girls.)

Woodward practice is organized by age & skill level. 12 and under in one group, 13+ in the other group and then grouped by skill level. I don’t know if they try to keep friends together for that, but my guess is no, based on past years at camp.

Our team practice is grouped by level and run by our coaches.

Open gym they can go to whatever gym/gyms they want to work on things and yes, coaches are there.

If she is traveling with her team, the chances are that she’ll have at least 1 teammate in her Woodward group. It is also nice to have those Woodward practices because she’ll meet new people and make new friends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back