Parents Woooohoooo! She got it!! (Proud parent brag moment)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meganliz77

Proud Parent
She got IT!!! Her kip!! My just-turned-7 yo DD, got it! So exciting! Coach got it on video for me even! Coach said the gym had never cheered louder than they did today as she got closer and closer to getting it until she finally did, a few times in a row! Wish I could've been there!

(Not going to lie, made me choke up a bit!) very proud momma! She has come so far in this first year of gymnastics :)

(Overboard on exclamation points, I know-- but I know all of you can understand what a BIG deal this is... Others just don't get it. ;)

Congratulations! And she is only seven, Wow! It is a skill she will use for bar routines at all levels and an awesome milestone. Almost like a gymnastics first lost tooth thing.

Oh, the kip!!!! Hooray! I love to hear everyone's brag moments. In our gym you get $1 from HC for making your kip. The next time you get $1 is when you make your free hip to handstand. DD is still waiting for that one. LOL

CONGRATS!!!
(I teared up too, the day I was told "She's kipping". )

I love our group on this KipQuest!! and I agree, non-gymmies don't get quite how exciting this is!!!!

CONGRATS!!!
(I teared up too, the day I was told "She's kipping". )

I love our group on this KipQuest!! and I agree, non-gymmies don't get quite how exciting this is!!!!

And then I show the video to family or others who don't know gymnastics bursting with excitement , and I get--"oh, that's what that is?... That doesn't look hard..." Sigh... Nope, they don't get it!!

Lol! If they only knew how big of a deal it really is for our gymmies!!

I know it needs work, but she got above the bar. And now she knows she can do it!! I love, love, love what she is gaining in life lessons by being in this sport!

Congrats!! The Kip is one of those gateway skills.

Now, I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but expect her to lose it again. Fear not, it will return. This happens with a lot of the gateway skills (like giants, free hips, etc). Hang in there and she can rest assured that she is on her way to the bigger skills now.

Hooray! I remember how much stress and worry the kip caused my DD (and then me!) and how wonderful it was when she finally got it! I bought her a magnet that said, "I got my kip" when she got it, and it's still on our fridge as a reminder.

But I agree with MeetDirector. Most girls will see it come and go a bit before they have it for good. Don't worry, that's totally normal. :)

Thank you! Yes, I'm fully prepared for it to come and go--- thankfully I am well informed due to this site!! And I also gently prepared her for that, because even at 7, she is verrrrry competitive and can be a bit hard on herself at times. I just told her that it's completely normal!

What's funny about all of this, is that yesterday morning as I dropped her off for practice, I gave her a squeeze-paused- and then told her I felt like "today was the day"...she smiled... I asked her to close her eyes and picture herself doing it without the coaches two fingers on her back... So she did...and again smiled. Then I sent her off to gym with the same thing I tell her every morning --"strong arms and have fun!"

And sure enough, she did it. The lesson she learned in all of that is priceless.... :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back