Words of support and wisdom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
When you send your DD off to something (i.e. an important meet, a test, etc.) you know they have worked very hard and want so badly, what words of wisdom/support do you them? Which ones do you feel helps them the most so they don't have to worry about disappointing anyone and just concentrate on themselves? Anything you've used to reduce their stress and calm their nerves. Something pre teens can understand and relate to.

I just remind her how hard she has worked and to just relax when she is out there. I let her know how proud I am of her dedication and bravery for doing these meets. Thankfully she has wonderful coaches who ALWAYS remain positive in the meets, no matter what happens. they always find good things in the routines. This really helps her stay positive if she had a bad rotation. After the meet, I talk to her about things I saw improvement in. She usually brings up her mistakes and we talk about them when she's ready but I try to keep the talk on the positive side.

I tell my DD to go out there and have fun. Don't worry about the scores or falling or anything else just have fun first and no matter what I love her and am always proud of her.

Have fun, do the best you can on the day, we all love you, we are all proud of how hard you have worked to get here, remember that sometimes in a competition "stuff just happens", know matter what you are an awesome person.

ditto what dunno said. I wish every parent would limit their pre-meet talks to their daughters to "have fun".

I tell my DD not to over think it and have fun. Her body knows just what to do!

Before a meet my dad always tells me to have fun but he also always states, "just remember how good you are." I find that so helpful when I'm stressing out or nervous over something.

I agree with "have fun". These kids work SO hard and spent so much of their time on this sport that I cannot imagine saying anything else. My daughter is so hard on herself that there would never be any reason to want to add any pressure to her!

I agree with "have fun" as well. I just posted in the Parent's forum about a mom who punishes her dd if she doesn't score well at meets. :no:

I just like to see my dd all smiles as she waits for the next event and when she finishes an event.

"Have fun and remember that you're doing this for yourself, not us or xxxxx coach." That's what my parents always say, and helps me calm down and put it into perspective- it reminds me that I'm doing this because I LOVE GYMNASTICS, not for medals, trophies & awards!

just do your best and you'll be fine - doesn't help mind you, the little toad is sooooooo competetive that we get a major hissey fit if she doesn't win everything - what more important for me is dealing with the dissappointment afterwards - we celebrate her sucesses (" you did a great roundoff flic") and try to convince her that its oaky not to win everything, and thers always going to be a next time :cheerful:

ditto what dunno said. I wish every parent would limit their pre-meet talks to their daughters to "have fun".

Had to laugh at myself, because I always just tell my dd "Have fun, luv ya!" and send her off to her coach. But, I saw this thread and thought to myself, maybe I should be saying more and I started reading the thread to find "that really wise thing to say." I guess I'll just stick with what I've been doing and leave the pre-meet talk to her coach:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back