Workout Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey! So I posted in my intro post that I was a gymnast for about 13 years but stopped and became involved in dance because of an injury. Now at 24 I just started taking adult gymnastics classes for fun at Chelsea Piers and am amazed at how much I've lost - especially in the arenas of STRENGTH and GRACE! I made it a New Years goal to "get my gymnastics body back" - maybe not ALL the way because I'm not 15 anymore, but I definitely want to improve my strength and slim down and really train the way I used to, both in the adult classes and at my gym on my own.

What workouts would you say are best for someone to get back into shape? I don't remember ever having to work ridiculously hard to get strength in the first place...it just kind of came along with whatever we were doing in the gym when I was a really little kid (I started at age 3). But now I have weight training and cardio machines and want to get to work on that stuff first before I really get back into the technical side of the sport. Does anyone have, say, a workout plan that would be good to follow? At the gym on Friday (the first day in my New Year plan!) I did about an hour and a half of cardio (mainly bike and elliptical - treadmill is too hard on my knees) and then a half hour of weights on various machines, mainly for arms and torso.

Any help from anyone who knows about training would be greatly appreciated! The adult classes I took last year were fun, but disappointing, and I mainly just stuck to basic floor stuff...didn't even try the bars or beam because I am way too out of shape. By the end of 2009 I want to be back up there, at least able to do it, if not great at it!

Thanks!!!

I would suggest pilates and yoga for core work, flexibility and general body strength. You could also swim for low impact all over conditioning.

Hey! So I posted in my intro post that I was a gymnast for about 13 years but stopped and became involved in dance because of an injury. Now at 24 I just started taking adult gymnastics classes for fun at Chelsea Piers and am amazed at how much I've lost - especially in the arenas of STRENGTH and GRACE! I made it a New Years goal to "get my gymnastics body back" - maybe not ALL the way because I'm not 15 anymore, but I definitely want to improve my strength and slim down and really train the way I used to, both in the adult classes and at my gym on my own.

What workouts would you say are best for someone to get back into shape? I don't remember ever having to work ridiculously hard to get strength in the first place...it just kind of came along with whatever we were doing in the gym when I was a really little kid (I started at age 3). But now I have weight training and cardio machines and want to get to work on that stuff first before I really get back into the technical side of the sport. Does anyone have, say, a workout plan that would be good to follow? At the gym on Friday (the first day in my New Year plan!) I did about an hour and a half of cardio (mainly bike and elliptical - treadmill is too hard on my knees) and then a half hour of weights on various machines, mainly for arms and torso.

Any help from anyone who knows about training would be greatly appreciated! The adult classes I took last year were fun, but disappointing, and I mainly just stuck to basic floor stuff...didn't even try the bars or beam because I am way too out of shape. By the end of 2009 I want to be back up there, at least able to do it, if not great at it!

Thanks!!!
Hey! I was where you are in terms of goals a few years ago. This is what I did-
Ran a LOT. 5-6 miles 4-5 times/week. You won't see those muscles if you're not really lean. You can lift weights all day long, but unless you diet and do some serious cardio, you won't see your results. Plus, of course, leaner and lighter is always better for the sport, and like you said, you're not 15 any more, so you're going to have to fight your new womanly curves. ;)
Lift weights 2 times/week- once upper body and once lower body. Be sure to isolate body parts to correct any muscular & strength imbalances. Do core every other day. Then, of course, gymnastics conditioning!! Chin ups/pull ups, V-ups, leg lifts, standing back tucks (even if only on the tumble track at first), push ups, rope climb, etc. You did those conditioning exercises for a reason as a kid, you've gotta do them now if you want skills back. Lots casting and swinging drills on bars and straps.
Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

Thanks so much for your post! I am trying to limit the strict running just because I had a knee injury so the pressure from my feet pounding the pavement, or treadmill, really doesn't help. Since Friday, I've done about an hour each day on the elliptical, 45 minutes on the bike, and then a half hour of circuit training. I've lost 6.6 lbs which is great, but unfortunately, is mostly holiday weight... :rolleyes:

I'm not going to head back to the gym where I take gymnastics classes just because I couldn't even pull myself up the rope an inch, which shows I've gained weight and lost strength. But I think once I get the weight off, getting my strength back shouldn't be a major problem if I stick to a sort of plan.

Thanks again for your help...I can't wait to get in better shape so I can actually get back into gymnastics conditioning without feeling like I'm 85!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back