Worlds Selection Camps Starts Today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't really know what all of you are talking about in regards to Gabby. Watch the podium training at around 25 min and 51/52 min of the athletes between events(link below), and you could call out a couple of the other girls for not smiling or interacting with their teammates, too. I must add that I was not a huge Gabby fan the first time around. I found her to be a little awkward and inauthentic, speaking often in cliched sports metaphors. And maybe she smiled more often then because that was the way she thought she was supposed to act. I find her this time around to be more authentic and looking like an adult athlete who is there to do her job.

I don't know, I expect guys to look like their enjoying it too. What's the point of reaching the pinnacle of your sport (profession, hobby, etc) if you don't or can't enjoy it. She never looks like she is enjoying it anymore. It doesn't make me mad at her, but sad for her.

Argh. I do know the difference between their and they're. Sorry, but sometimes my grammar when quickly typing on my cell even bugs me!

I just wanted to comment about the smiling factor.

My one and only up close to an international meet opportunity was volunteering at the Senior Pan Am Qualifications in 2014. I was "security" so right freaking there beside the beam, supervising the warm up areas, the corrals, etc. it was so awesome! My dd even got to Marshall and loved it too!

Anyway, my point being that i was there with these girls behind the scenes. It was no smile and giggle fest, trust me. Even as teams sat together, even as the American team was clearly so far ahead of almost everyone on most events, these girls were concentrating, focused and serious.

It wasn't broadcast, as far as i can remember (but can be corrected if I'm wrong), but i think in the major competitions where they know they are constantly being followed by cameras and media, they put on somewhat of an act.

I can also say, my dd loves gymnastics with all her heart. She loves the challenge, the training, the accomplishments. But competing makes her very nervous. She does not smile out there. But i will tell you that in her own way she is enjoying the efforts of her hard work.

Just another perspective that just because they aren't smiling doesnt mean they don't want to be there. Oh but my dd does have the "salute smile" out of respect for the judges at the start and at the end of her routines, no matter how the routine went.

Sorry, but this sort of thing irritates the heck out of me. Why do we expect so much more out of our female athletes than our male athletes? Donnell Whittenburg almost NEVER smiles. I mean really almost never. Yet in him, that is taken as a sign of intensity and focus and determination. I bet he has never once had a stranger on the street randomly say, "smile, honey! You'd be so much prettier if you smiled!"

Rather than judging our female athletes on the quality of their facial expressions and the cut of their leotards, let's talk about what they are doing out there. And please don't respond "but society will judge them!" Societal change has to start somewhere. Why not here?

Thank you. So tired of the Gabby beat down too. Completing is hard. So is the media spotlight too I'm sure. I doubt she'd be going to Worlds if she hated gymnastics..-

these are very young women in a very stressfull environment. who cares if they smile! let them do what they have to or want to do, and that's that. there is already enough pressure on them without us fans telling them how to act or not to act or whatever.

I remember seeing this video around the time of the 1992 Olympics and thinking "wow, those swimmers look like they are having A LOT more fun than the gymnasts!" But then again, most of us didn't choose this sport for our kids, they chose it themselves, and I guess it's just a different kind of "fun."

I think the problem for Gabby (and maybe Aly and Simone as well) is that gymnastics is now a job for them. I have to imagine the performance pressure is different as it has turned from something they want to do, to something they need to do in order keep the revenue stream going. I'm very impressed with what both Gabby and Aly have been able to do so far, but to me Gabby seem to be enjoying it less this time. I think someone needs to remind Gabby about on the sales side of the sport. People are going to be more attracted to people (and their branded products) if they have a positive personality to boot. I get the pressure, but Simone still manages to smile.

That team in particular seemed to click better than other us Olympic teams and the swimmers themselves have said they worked together better than any other Olympic swim team in their memory. I highly doubt that other teams are as cohesive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back