Worlds Selection Camps Starts Today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Simone is a definite. Gabby and Aly are very close to definite. I think Maggie is also in. Just not sure who else will make the team. actually think Mykayla Skinner will end up on the team but am not sure. Marta is looking for people who can get EF medals. She knows they have TF practically in the bag.

My guess is Biles, Raisman and Douglas are locks, and Raisman and Douglas will battle it out in qualifying for that second USA all-around spot. I think Kocian will make the team based on her bars, to use in the team final and because she is the only American with a good shot at UB finals. That would leave Nichols, Skinner and Dowell for that last spot. Skinner can make vault finals, but Nichols has a much better single vault and could be used in team finals on vault. Dowell is such a question mark. But to be named to the nominative roster she must be showing some great things in the gym!

My guess is Biles, Raisman and Douglas are locks, and Raisman and Douglas will battle it out in qualifying for that second USA all-around spot. I think Kocian will make the team based on her bars, to use in the team final and because she is the only American with a good shot at UB finals. That would leave Nichols, Skinner and Dowell for that last spot. Skinner can make vault finals, but Nichols has a much better single vault and could be used in team finals on vault. Dowell is such a question mark. But to be named to the nominative roster she must be showing some great things in the gym!

with her Cheng, Skinner is in I think. To me the question marks are Kocian and Swaggy Maggie. I love maggie but I think Marta will make her an alternate

Gabby posted a picture of a big bouquet of flowers on facebook with the message

My Buckeye girls are so awesome! Thanks for sending me off to World Championships on such a good note!!!

Not sure if that means she has been told she is going to Glasgow or she and her gym are just being presumptuous. My guess is the latter

with her Cheng, Skinner is in I think. To me the question marks are Kocian and Swaggy Maggie. I love maggie but I think Marta will make her an alternate
But Maggie's Amanar scores higher than Skinner's Cheng, so the choice comes down to does Marta want the better vault for team finals or the chance at a bronze in vault finals.

But Maggie's Amanar scores higher than Skinner's Cheng, so the choice comes down to does Marta want the better vault for team finals or the chance at a bronze in vault finals.

right. Marta pretty much knows the TF is in the bag. I believe she is looking to maximize EF medals.

Gabby posted a picture of a big bouquet of flowers on facebook with the message

My Buckeye girls are so awesome! Thanks for sending me off to World Championships on such a good note!!!

Not sure if that means she has been told she is going to Glasgow or she and her gym are just being presumptuous. My guess is the latter
I was hopping gabby wasn't going, she never looks like she's having fun anymore. It's not fun to watch someone who doesn't seem to enjoy what they're doing.

Yes, this. I know it is an intense sport, but a smile every once in awhile can't be that painful...:confused:

Sorry, but this sort of thing irritates the heck out of me. Why do we expect so much more out of our female athletes than our male athletes? Donnell Whittenburg almost NEVER smiles. I mean really almost never. Yet in him, that is taken as a sign of intensity and focus and determination. I bet he has never once had a stranger on the street randomly say, "smile, honey! You'd be so much prettier if you smiled!"

Rather than judging our female athletes on the quality of their facial expressions and the cut of their leotards, let's talk about what they are doing out there. And please don't respond "but society will judge them!" Societal change has to start somewhere. Why not here?

Yes, I do get this, and see what you are saying. But the other girls seem to be able to pull smiles off more readily, and she is a seasoned athlete, who knew how to smile before. That is why I find it rather odd.

Edited to add that I find it ridiculous that they are expected to a smile during their routine on floor when they are concentrating so hard, and that my own child has been criticized by Judges (and quite possibly lost tenths) because she didn't look happy performing. But when my own child says to me after watching podium training that the young woman in question doesn't seem very friendly and asks why she doesn't walk with the others when they are leaving, well, I find that interesting. Also, Gabby has been down this road before, and she sure used to know how to smile. This is a quote from my child again, not me. And whether we like it or not, it is a fact that she is on display for the whole world to see, and yes, people will notice things. That is life. We all are, in a sense, judged every day in society (unless we never leave our house). Some of us make the choice to be more exposed to society than others, and with that exposure comes every opinion under the sun. I wish her the best...but I stand by my opinion.

As I said, if society is ever going to change, individuals have to change. Sounds like you have a great teachable moment with your daughter, who might not like the idea of being judged, either formally or informally, based on her facial expressions.

I don't know, I expect guys to look like their enjoying it too. What's the point of reaching the pinnacle of your sport (profession, hobby, etc) if you don't or can't enjoy it. She never looks like she is enjoying it anymore. It doesn't make me mad at her, but sad for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back