Parents Worst season ever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

needcoffee

Proud Parent
uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. <---- just needed to get that out.

This year has been so stressful. Unsure of whether DD would actually make comps due to her bars. Bars came along nicely and in the end it was her beam letting her down. Carry on. A massive fall between the first and second comp and a very stiff neck and chest. And now an injured knee which has been playing up for a couple of weeks.

I noticed a weird lump and a bit of swelling yesterday and her coach sent her home. We are off to the doc this morning, please send all your good luck vibes! We have states in one week and DD is devastated at the thought that this season might be over for her.

We just needed to get through one more week!!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!

I sympathise. Surely the bad run of events will have to end soon?

My daughter has missed comp after comp due to a year of injury and slowly easing back in. She just did a comp recently and won one of the events. Now we're dealing with a particular team mate who had obviously written her off, but realised because of my daughter's result that actually my daughter isn't useless as she'd previously thought. So this other girl is feeling very threatened and every single training session is doing her very best to make sure my daughter knows that she is SO much better than my daughter. Wow, I hope it settles soon and they can go back to being friends! :eek:

Wow that's awful leotardmakermum! Kids can be so awful sometimes! We have one at our gym like that, she's the level below at the moment but I'm dreading the day she's moved up to DDs group. She's horrible. Good on your DD for getting back into it!

Oh really, I totally understand why this girl is doing it. She's had a great run for so long, feeling like the king pin. Now there are others who are spreading their wings she feels threatened. I just hope that she quickly realises that they're still the same girls they always were and they can go back to being friends.

In the mean time, I spend my time telling my daughter to just keep being a good friend. "It's hard, Mum, because when she's mean I don't feel like it." "I know. But you need to make sure that the coach has nothing to complain about with your behaviour." And she's been making a real effort. As they were walking out to the car the other night she walked along side this girl and put her arm around her as they walked. It is hard, but I'm so proud of her.

I also know that it could just as easily be the other way around. We all take time to adjust to things in life, and sometimes we feel threatened by others. Hopefully in teaching my daughter to handle it well from her side, she will never want to be the person on the other side.

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

What a tough situation. I do disagree with forcing your DD to be besties with a girl which treating her poorly.

Certainly your DD needs to be polite and kind to this other girl. But, I would not expect her to be friends with a girl who is unkind to her. I would be careful about letting her putting herself into an uncomfortable situation.

Oh really, I totally understand why this girl is doing it. She's had a great run for so long, feeling like the king pin. Now there are others who are spreading their wings she feels threatened. I just hope that she quickly realises that they're still the same girls they always were and they can go back to being friends.

In the mean time, I spend my time telling my daughter to just keep being a good friend. "It's hard, Mum, because when she's mean I don't feel like it." "I know. But you need to make sure that the coach has nothing to complain about with your behaviour." And she's been making a real effort. As they were walking out to the car the other night she walked along side this girl and put her arm around her as they walked. It is hard, but I'm so proud of her.

I also know that it could just as easily be the other way around. We all take time to adjust to things in life, and sometimes we feel threatened by others. Hopefully in teaching my daughter to handle it well from her side, she will never want to be the person on the other side.

You are teaching your daughter well. Showing sympathy and kindness to others when they don't seem to deserve it is true grace. This is what she will thank you for when she is a grown woman.

Anyway, we have derailed this discussion from Gymnastruby's original post long enough. Let's get back to that, and wishing her well with her investigation of injury. ;-)

That's the knee version of severs disease (which affects heels) - that's how my physio describes Osgood Schlatters. I hope yours is a quick and easy to treat version of it. Just remember, thousands of gymnasts have been through it and successfully come out the other side. I just wish your daughter wasn't one of them. :-(

Reactions: sce
Will she certainly have to miss states? Or is it still being decided? Wishing your daughter the best. This is so hard.

Don't be too scared. My DD has osgood schlatters and it has basically meant icing her knee on heavy tumbling/vault days and ibuprofen. Her doc said there isn't really a treatment, you just deal with it. I hope the X-rays are clean and your DD is feeling better quickly and able to compete states.

Doc said she should be fine for states providing she isn't in too much pain. But as someone with lifelong knee injuries myself, I know how crap it is :( fear of pain and dislocation eventually took me out of sports, I don't want her to go throught that. :(

Doc said she should be fine for states providing she isn't in too much pain. But as someone with lifelong knee injuries myself, I know how crap it is :( fear of pain and dislocation eventually took me out of sports, I don't want her to go throught that. :(
How old is your DD? We were told that it would almost certainty go away on its own once she finished growing and that in the meantime we should just do pain management. I am glad the doc didn't find anything more serious, and I hope the pain subsides quickly. With my DD we got a knee brace for tumbling/vault and she started taking a vitamin I found recommended on here. She has pain much less often now.

She has a lot of growing left then, huh? Poor thing! If she can swallow pills you could try searching out the vitamin and giving it a shot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back