Parents Would you get a hotel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
My daughter has a meet that's an hour from our house. She has a 7:30am 'be there' time, warm up starts at 8am. Would you get a hotel nearby the night before? Or just get up early and drive there?

I only do it if that drive is during a time when traffic can be unpredictable and may cause additional stress - like a large metro area Friday morning rush hour. Absent that, as others have said, sleeping in one's own bed is usually better.

We have almost this exact scenario (except it's about an hour and a half drive) this weekend and we went for the hotel. I am not a morning person and I did not want to have to get up that early to drive there. And it's a Friday morning at 8:00 so I did fear traffic. And I'm just not comfortable with all the what ifs. :)

No, no hotel. Our last meet was an hour and 20 away, lots of parents did the hotel thing the night before and expressed that it didn't really help. We've done both. DD sleeps better in her own bed, and it was just as easy to get right to the meet.

My daughter is not a morning person so we usually get a hotel in that situation, especially if we can find one at a reasonable price.

We have an upcoming Sunday start time around then- meet is about two hours away- and we’re getting a hotel. I am not a morning person, she can sleep anywhere (with her pillow, lol), and I am willing to pay for my two hours of sleep. Hotels are really affordable near the meet though. I may have chosen differently if they were expensive.

What a mix! ha My daughter is not a morning person and can sleep anywhere so I'm leaning toward hotel. However, it will probably cost me about $100 and it's on a weekend with little highway traffic so I'm not worried about that.

We had a meet and hour and 15 min away with a 7:45 call time. We got a hotel. Mostly because it's winter and it was too risky to wait and see how the roads were the morning of. For me it was worth the money to be able to take our time driving in the day before.

We are skipping the hotel for a 7:30 a.m. check-in this weekend, two hours away assuming no traffic. Once you factor in the extra time it takes to get ready in a hotel, pack up, check out, and drive from the hotel to the meet, we'd only get to sleep one hour later in a hotel than we would driving straight from home. Accounting for the lost sleep from being in an unfamiliar setting, arriving late the night before, snoring family members all in the same room, etc., I am pretty sure we'll all get more sleep just tossing the kid in the car in her PJs with a bagel at 4:30 a.m. than we would if we messed with a hotel.

We will be leaving our house next Saturday at around 6 a.m. for DD's next meet, which is an hour and twenty minute drive. So many expenses already this year that we will save the extra hundred bucks this time. She gets up for school at 5:20 every day anyway, so for her, it's just another school wake up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back