Parents Would you let your kids compete?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just and update: DH is out of isolation since 12/22 and I have been cleared to be out of isolation tomorrow. They are counting the 2 week quarantine period for our kids from the date of my DH’s out of isolation period since I isolated from them pretty much completely. DH’s work allowed him to take the remainder of the year off so that I could isolate for the full 10 days. This means that it is 9 days sooner than expected on 1/5. I talked to our gym owner and she is allowing my kids to do some make up practices, (They are usually off on Wednesday’s and Fridays but is allowing them to practice with the teams that are there on those days to make up for Sunday and Monday) so they will have 2 full weeks of practice prior to this meet that is yet to be cancelled. She said we will play it by ear and it might be possible to ‘water down’ both of their routines if she sees any issues. The SV for DD1 might be lower for as a result, but she is OK with that. However, I cannot foresee this meet happening. Cases are still spiking and there hasn’t been a significant decrease in hospitalizations in my state.

Just and update: DH is out of isolation since 12/22 and I have been cleared to be out of isolation tomorrow. They are counting the 2 week quarantine period for our kids from the date of my DH’s out of isolation period since I isolated from them pretty much completely. DH’s work allowed him to take the remainder of the year off so that I could isolate for the full 10 days. This means that it is 9 days sooner than expected on 1/5. I talked to our gym owner and she is allowing my kids to do some make up practices, (They are usually off on Wednesday’s and Fridays but is allowing them to practice with the teams that are there on those days to make up for Sunday and Monday) so they will have 2 full weeks of practice prior to this meet that is yet to be cancelled. She said we will play it by ear and it might be possible to ‘water down’ both of their routines if she sees any issues. The SV for DD1 might be lower for as a result, but she is OK with that. However, I cannot foresee this meet happening. Cases are still spiking and there hasn’t been a significant decrease in hospitalizations in my state.
Good news. You are lucky. Our gym wouldn’t allow different girls on different days.
That would be mixing cohorts so they just wouldn’t.

Glad to hear you are all doing well and with two weeks practice your coach should be able to make a good decision on safety. Sounds great!

Good news. You are lucky. Our gym wouldn’t allow different girls on different days.
That would be mixing cohorts so they just wouldn’t.
That’s why I love our gym. It’s small to begin with, about 50 girls total so groups are small at baseline. The girls that practice on those days are the XCEL platinum and Diamonds. Their skill sets are comparable to DD1’s L7 skills. Actually, a lot of her L6 teammates from last season decided to do XCEL this year instead and some of her old old teammates from Gold have followed the XCEL path so they are all familiar faces. DD2 is XCEL Gold and XCEL gold-diamond already practice as the same cohort on Sundays and Mondays. The upper level girls practice separately on Wednesday and Friday while the gold and silver practice on Tuesday and Thursday, so it won’t be much of a change for either of them. DD1 doesn’t have a consistent practice schedule because she is partially day program. We are on a hybrid school schedule, so she does day program on her days off and evening practices when she has school and that is how most of the levels 6-9 are.

That’s why I love our gym. It’s small to begin with, about 50 girls total so groups are small at baseline.

Our gym is smaller then that. And since we reopened they have set training days and set groups. At this time they wouldn’t allow anyone to change. Our one in house meet which is usually 1 session, was 3 this year. In part because that’s what the judges wanted and to not mix groups.

It is my understanding that the OP's kids have been under home quarantine for weeks and both parents recently had covid, and are now consequently most likely immune for a while. (Kids may have had covid as well? Unclear if they were ever tested?) Anyway, seems entirely reasonable to me that they would allow these specific girls into a different cohort for a few practices. The chances of these girls being infectious is extremely low. Plus they probably have several other mitigations in place like distancing, symptom checks etc. If my kid was at gym practice with these girls, this decision to let them practice outside thier cohort would not bother me in the least. Seems clear to me they are the least likely source of infection.

If my middle child's school ever reopens, his class will be split into two cohorts attending different days, but with the same teacher teaching both cohorts in person. Explain that logic if you can.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back