Parents Would you rather...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At our old gym, they rushed them through levels and low scores were the norm. One particular L4 meet stands out as a "disaster" with most of our team getting 6-7s. YDD got a 6.3 on floor. It was really hard to watch.

However, looking back, that year taught my DDs several gym-life lessons, especially setting non-score goals for a meet, the importance of encouraging your team no matter how they do, and doing gymnastics because you love it, not just to win. We have since switched gyms and they definitely score higher now, but I can see how that "bad" year shaped their perspective. They are humble when they score well and good sports when they don't. When YDD had a bunch of mental blocks, it helped her to already know it wasn't all about the scores at a meet.

Interestingly enough, we switched gyms after that L4 year season, and with a summer of hard work and way more conditioning, they both successfully competed L5, with scores in the 36s.

Depends both on gym and gymnast. My DD always wanted to move up even if skills were so so and wasn't worried about podium. Most years she would start at the back of the pack but progress place wise throughout the season. Other teammates wanted a year of podium and repeated levels. (I've noticed parents expectations often come into play also.)

I've told my DD every year she needs to plead her case to head coach but then accept whatever coach thinks is best. So far she has got to move up every year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back