Would you send your DD - sick girl at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First, MOST people are getting test results in 3-7 days. And MOST people are not waiting days to be tested.

Can I ask what is your source for this? I have been able to find good info online both by individual states and sites that consolidate data on positivity/hospitalizations/deaths, but not for testing wait times. Are you finding this on individual state websites and extrapolating to find a rate for most in the country or have you found a site that gives national wait time averages to be tested/get results?

Well, testing delays hit home for us. I have a young kid with high fever and runny nose, and the pediatrician’s office said the results are typically taking 10 days to come back. Our dr is super frustrated.
Hope all goes well. Can I ask in what state you are located? Been hearing very different anecdotal stories from friends and family in different states. Average wait times here in California, long times in Arizona, good times in Washingto.

My adult daughter in Seattle is currently waiting for results. She is a homeless outreach public health nurse and has been doing testing in encampments and shelters. Her patients results have been coming back in a few days. She was told 48-72 hours for hers.

Can I ask what is your source for this? I have been able to find good info online both by individual states and sites that consolidate data on positivity/hospitalizations/deaths, but not for testing wait times. Are you finding this on individual state websites and extrapolating to find a rate for most in the country or have you found a site that gives national wait time averages to be tested/get results?
From the labs we deal with in NY. Our hospital system currently sends specimens to 3 reference laboratories, one of them a national laboratory. And then my families experience with 2 other laboratories, one local and one national.

All our elective surgeries need testing 3-5 days prior to surgery as well as our attached nursing home requires any one who works with patients to be tested.

Prior to the testing ramp up test results were lagging up to 10 days. That is not the current experience around here. And again, we have many places to for test collection. No one around here is waiting days to be tested.

Labs typically publish the information on their websites.

And there are many reasons for times to be extended. And other factors beyond the performing lab itself.

And there are many reasons for times to be extended. And other factors beyond the performing lab itself.

To expand a bit. Examples of why times may be longer

Pick ups for our lab are 5pm during the week, 10 am on the weekend for one lab
The other lab its 7pm and no pick up on Saturday and Sunday evening.

I had a problem with a specimen, contacted our collection people to address. Let them know pick up was 20 mins out. They did not address the issue in time for pick up. That added an extra day for the patient to get results.

If you get swabbed for testing during the week. Before pick up time. No delay. After pick up time it adds 24 hours. After last pick up going into a weekend it could add 48 to close to 72 hours.

Also results go to the health care provider, how quickly they get that result to a patient varies greatly depending on the provider.

I got tested and I am a health care worker. While my test was not expedited and it was not done through my place of work, they did make sure I was contacted asap as it affected being able to potentially need to find coverage, to keep the lab open. We are a small facility. When you work overnights you are they only technologist on.

My husband got tested. He gave it a week. And he actually called his doc, not the other way around. Providers prioritize positive results, not negatives.

From the labs we deal with in NY. Our hospital system currently sends specimens to 3 reference laboratories, one of them a national laboratory. And then my families experience with 2 other laboratories, one local and one national.

Am I understanding correctly, that in these posts where you are continually telling folks that they are wrong, most people aren’t having to wait for tests, there is plenty of testing, etc, you are basing it off of your experience in NY? No national statistics? I would think we could all agree that NY is in a different position than the rest of the country, and is not a good sample or representative of “most” people in the country.

Even though you mention experience with two national labs, you also mention that other factors play into delays. Just because the two national labs you have experience with MIGHT not have long delays actually processing the tests, that does not mean that many or even most other people in other areas, besides the Atypical state of NY are not experiencing long delays in getting tests done and processed.

I usually only lurk here, but just chiming in to say a close friend in Colorado was exposed to Covid. She has a known exposure (her workplace was open and it was a colleague she works with closely) to somebody with a positive test and some symptoms. She was notified on Thursday morning And called immediately.The soonest she can get a rapid test is Tuesday. So, even just from notification to initial test she will have waited 5 days, including three business days, and that’s with a known exposure And symptoms. She’s responsible, so she’s quarantining in any case for 14 days, but she definitely wasn’t able to just immediately get a test.

We've been able to drive-in and get tested almost immediately in my area of Michigan since at least May. Though most places are still requiring you to at least have symptoms to get tested. Supposedly those who have worked outside their home for 5+ days can also be tested, but I haven't run across a place doing that yet. We have about 7 testing sites within 10-15 minutes of my house.

All that to say it definitely varies by state, and likely even within the state itself.

Well, hopefully this new pool testing will decrease the wait times both for getting tested and getting results.

Here in Kansas, our area is a hot spot, I have several people I know who have needed tests and they were able to get testing immediately. However, it is taking anywhere from 3 to 7 days to get results.

My aunt is a nurse at a skilled nursing facility in our state and they are in dire need of tests with test running out with the next day or 2 and no tests to be found to buy. And they are not the only medical facility in their area facing this problem. Testing is a cluster of epic proportions, in our area.

. However, it is taking anywhere from 3 to 7 days to get results.

My aunt is a nurse at a skilled nursing facility in our state and they are in dire need of tests with test running out with the next day or 2 and no tests to be found to buy..

3-7 days is typical for PCR testing that needs to be sent out.

And there is a difference between swabs/collection media and tests.
They are likely low on swabs/collection media. Unfortunately collection kits expire, it is impossible to plan for a the surge of a novel virus. Much like it would not be possible to stock enough blood for a huge mass casualty.
During our surge, we had security keeping an eye on our swabs/collection media. We still have to report our inventory counts daily to upper admin, it is now part of crisis management. And will likely to continue to be for a very long time if not forever. I would expect the facilities to get that straightened out relatively quickly.

I usually only lurk here, but just chiming in to say a close friend in Colorado was exposed to Covid. She has a known exposure (her workplace was open and it was a colleague she works with closely) to somebody with a positive test and some symptoms. She was notified on Thursday morning And called immediately.The soonest she can get a rapid test is Tuesday. So, even just from notification to initial test she will have waited 5 days, including three business days, and that’s with a known exposure And symptoms. She’s responsible, so she’s quarantining in any case for 14 days, but she definitely wasn’t able to just immediately get a test.

yep. this is what we are seeing here. It takes about 5 days just to get tested. THen if you have to wait 5-7 days for results, the quarantine period is almost over before you know for sure.

A person can have Covid and test negative. They need to have enough of the virus to cause the test to be positive.

It is entirely possible that you can have Covid, test negative and become symptomatic and/or test positive the next day. That is why NY, says you must quarantine no matter how you test.

Hope all goes well. Can I ask in what state you are located? Been hearing very different anecdotal stories from friends and family in different states. Average wait times here in California, long times in Arizona, good times in Washingto.

My adult daughter in Seattle is currently waiting for results. She is a homeless outreach public health nurse and has been doing testing in encampments and shelters. Her patients results have been coming back in a few days. She was told 48-72 hours for hers.

We are in Oklahoma.

FYI my daughter got her results, negative. Tested Saturday morning, results first thing Monday morning. They must be doing something right in Seattle. Not sure if she got “special treatment“ because of her profession.

FYI my daughter got her results, negative. Tested Saturday morning, results first thing Monday morning. They must be doing something right in Seattle. Not sure if she got “special treatment“ because of her profession.
I believe health care workers are getting faster testing/results due to the need to get them back to work. Not sure that's happening everywhere though

I believe health care workers are getting faster testing/results due to the need to get them back to work. Not sure that's happening everywhere though
I do think she was notified of her results quickly because of this, or she wouldn’t have been able to go to work this morning. But she has been regularly testing patients in encampments on Mon/Tues and getting the results to notify folks on Fri. Washington has been at this for longer than most states and isn’t experiencing a surge right now. I think those are probably the biggest factors in the vastly different experiences with testing in different states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back