Would you send your DD - sick girl at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Side note, if you are symptomatic with flu symptoms, the name of it really doesn’t matter. You should be limiting contact with people. In other words stay home when sick.

This is true, but we all know it doesn't happen. Parents give kids meds and send them to school hoping to get to lunch or later before the fever goes up again. How many times do we see "look how great my kiddo did in this meet! And kiddo had a temp of 101 and has the flu!" We know people go places sick. It is one thing I hope changes with this....attendance policies and sick leave policies.

Without universal paid sick days, and universal health care, people simply will continue to go to work sick. How can people afford to stay home with no coverage?

It's a valid point. I get 9 leave days a year. Yet, if I have to quarantine for 14 days, that is 10 school days......Math does not add up there...

In NY, Long Island, here. There is no problem getting the test, I walked in without an appointment and was out in less than 10 min. However, in the last week the average wait time has increased from 3-5 days to 7-10 due to the increased number of people being tested.
This is probably off-topic, and I don’t mean to be, but I’m genuinely curious.... if you need to quarantine for 14 days, and it takes a few days to get tested then 10 more for the results, is your quarantine over by the time you get results? if it was positive, do you count from the first day of noticing symptoms, the test date, or the result date?

Without universal paid sick days, and universal health care, people simply will continue to go to work sick. How can people afford to stay home with no coverage?
My husband’s boss applied for the loan that is to cover employees salary if they have to stay home. He was offered his share as paid days off, but he turned it down and asked for it to be held until/if he actually needed it so that he wouldn’t take time off, then actually need time off and not have the money in reserve to cover the days missed.

This is probably off-topic, and I don’t mean to be, but I’m genuinely curious.... if you need to quarantine for 14 days, and it takes a few days to get tested then 10 more for the results, is your quarantine over by the time you get results? if it was positive, do you count from the first day of noticing symptoms, the test date, or the result date?

So, if you need to quarantine for 14 days, and you test positive, your isolation then starts and goes until 2 days after your fever is gone without meds and all symptoms are improved.

Be clear though, if you have symptoms, you are isolating, not quarantining. They are different. And the isolation starts from symptoms.

If you are a contact of someone who has tested positive, your quarantine starts from the last contact date with teh positive person.

Again, it’s not a simple yes or no.

First, MOST people are getting test results in 3-7 days. And MOST people are not waiting days to be tested.

Quarantining as per regulation depends on who issues the regulations.
In NY As For travel 14 days is the minimum even if you test negative. That’s different then isolating.

For my job. It’s now a negative test and 3 days symptom free to return to work.
My daughters ortho, her appointment will be canceled if she or those she lives with has had any symptoms within 7 days of the appointment.
Gym it’s 14 days out from symptoms or known close contact with a Covid person. If they test negative. It’s the negative test plus 3 days symptom free.

Check with whoever is issuing the quarantine or guidelines

This is true, but we all know it doesn't happen. Parents give kids meds and send them to school hoping to get to lunch or later before the fever goes up again. How many times do we see "look how great my kiddo did in this meet! And kiddo had a temp of 101 and has the flu!" We know people go places sick. It is one thing I hope changes with this....attendance policies and sick leave policies.

Our school actually hints we should have the kid show up for one class period and then go home so they don't lose the per kid funding, or we are strongly suggested to donate something like $50 to cover it. This all changes now, of course.

Our school actually hints we should have the kid show up for one class period and then go home so they don't lose the per kid funding, or we are strongly suggested to donate something like $50 to cover it. This all changes now, of course.

Public school? I have never heard such a thing!

Yes. It is not mandated, just strong suggestion.
And not only our school district, my friend in another school district told me similar thing.

That is fascinating! I have been in 5 disticts in my career and have never heard of a policy that even hints at sick kids coming to school! I hope this is no longer a thing for those districts!

That is fascinating! I have been in 5 disticts in my career and have never heard of a policy that even hints at sick kids coming to school! I hope this is no longer a thing for those districts!

Yeah no, I don't think so.
It is all volunteer basis, but you do feel somewhat pressured to pay up the way they phrase it. I am sure they'd much rather just take the money, but they suggest to come in, take roll then go home BUT if you don't want to, you can always make it up by donating money to help out the school yada yada yada sounds less like they are just asking for money, if you know what I mean.

When there is a need to miss school for gymnastics, she would always go in partial day so we don't feel the need to pay.

Yeah no, I don't think so.
It is all volunteer basis, but you do feel somewhat pressured to pay up the way they phrase it. I am sure they'd much rather just take the money, but they suggest to come in, take roll then go home BUT if you don't want to, you can always make it up by donating money to help out the school yada yada yada sounds less like they are just asking for money, if you know what I mean.

When there is a need to miss school for gymnastics, she would always go in partial day so we don't feel the need to pay.
I have heard of this for specific days in the school year when the students are counted for student enrollment purposes. The parents are urged to make every effort to sent their children to school those days. They are reminded of it several times in the weeks leading up to it. But that only happens a few times a year in our state. I haven't heard of a state that hands out their per-student expenditures based on each day's toll call. That's nuts! Talk about red tape!

Well, testing delays hit home for us. I have a young kid with high fever and runny nose, and the pediatrician’s office said the results are typically taking 10 days to come back. Our dr is super frustrated.

Oh no..i hope it is just random crud and she feels better quickly! (hopefully before the results come in)

Well, testing delays hit home for us. I have a young kid with high fever and runny nose, and the pediatrician’s office said the results are typically taking 10 days to come back. Our dr is super frustrated.
Whatever it is I hope their feeling better soon. Let us no how their feeling and how the test goes

Not understanding why the girl is getting a test in a few days, surely testing is accessible considering the situation in the US.
You cannot schedule and immediate test. Many often need to wait a few days to get a test and a few more days for the results.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back