Wrist flick on kips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mightynighty

Hey guys,

I've been practicing my kips for a while now, and I get pretty high up- only I can't seem to stay there, because I don't shift my wrists forward (I might also be slightly arched).
I just can't seem to be able to move them. How do I do it? Do I slightly let go of the bar and move them? Shift while holding normally? Usually when I do BHC or mill circles, I loosen my grip, move them and grip again - a technique that proved nearly fatal on tap swings, so I'm assuming that's not the way to go..

I tried to "just shift them!", but I just.. can't.
:confused:

The wrist flip comes much sooner than you would expect. Start shifting your wrists right when you first start pulling from your toes to your knees. Don't loosen your grip a lot, but don't have a death grip on the bar either. "Just shift them" but do it earlier.

To me, the wrist shift isn't something you actively try to do, it's something that should happen more or less on its own.

If your wrists aren't shifting, that probably means you're gripping the bar too tightly. Relax your grip a bit, let it start to peel. When the bar gets to your fingertips, assuming everything else is correct, you should find yourself regripping almost by reflex. That's the wrist shift you want; let it begin to peel, push down on the bar with your fingertips, then just regrip to the top.

It takes awhile to get the hang of.

practice doing a jam to sit on the bar (like doing a cut catch), or doing that same motion with just one leg. It will help you figure out the shift you need.

You can ask someone to spot you as well. Just make sure you end up sitting on the bar, or with one leg over the bar. If you go over, you need to let go and land on your feet or you may hurt your shoulders if you are unprepared.

Ryan

Thanks guys- managed a couple of kips last practice! They weren't pretty and I finished them on my stomach, but at least I stayed on the bars! Working on gripping less hard really proved useful :)

Thank you so much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back